IGNORED

Adding an L to words

cidered abroad

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Classic on on Points West this evening by Alex Lovell. She said "The latest Covid rates for our areal...."

An added L! Bristol dialect is not dead.

I always think the L thing is a bit of a myth.

If anything, it's more like adding a W to the end of open vowel words.

An exception is "idea" that is unfailingly pronounced as "ideal".

• Like 2

In the 70s, Points West did a survey to see how many people speak Krek Bristle.

They took a flip chart into Broadmead and asked passers by to read aloud what was written on the flip chart. They had to say,

Eva Turner, the prima ballerina of the opera.

Many did add an L. Maybe the footage is on YouTube?

Edited by Norn Iron
Gurt spellcheck
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Interesting.

Accents have obviously changed as I don’t hear anybody talking like that!

I left Brizz in the mid 90s. When I speak to my brizzle mates you can still hear the accent but not the lingo any more....apart from Ideal and Asdal. The latter I think is done deliberately now as opposed to naturally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Especially for you Red-Robbo!

All my relatives have broad Bristol accents. I had one once, but we moved to Somerset when I was 7 and since then I've lived all over the place and now I'd say I have a slight generic West Country accent.

I know broad Bristolian very well though. I have a second cousin who was once a very well-known councillor in Bedminster who is incomprehensible to anyone born 5 miles away from the Avon! I have to translate when he talks to my missus. 

I have to point out though, that Adge Cutler and most of the original Wurzels had north Somerset accents, which are very different. When Adge sings Virtue Et Industrial that's a Somerset man's impression of a Bristol accent. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I grew up in Knowle West & Bedminster so I remember the old school Bristolian lingo fondly. ‘ Cassant th’e understand I ‘ and phrases like that seem to have disappeared. Although my mum still pronounces words that end in ty as tay.  Twen-tay Thir-tay For-tay

My grandad used that exact phrase  speaking to my wife (from Colchester) when she first met him - couldn't understand most of what he said!

Thanks @Bobby Bollax that raised a smile with something to remember the old guy by on a chappy day ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I grew up in Knowle West & Bedminster so I remember the old school Bristolian lingo fondly. ‘ Cassant th’e understand I ‘ and phrases like that seem to have disappeared. Although my mum still pronounces words that end in ty as tay.  Twen-tay Thir-tay For-tay

My grandad used to use that and I remember even as a boy struggling to understand some of what he said.

Strangely this came up today at work when a Scottish colleague was asking me about Bristolian and dialect words.  Unfortunately having left Bristol at 18 my once strong south Bristol accent has faded and reliant on alcohol to bring it to the fore :drunk2:

Any good you tube links as I was thinking of sending some to her.