IGNORED

£M players

Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Cole was £500,000

Phew! I looked at that list and when it said Andy Cole was bought for a Million, I thought this proves time does indeed alter your memory. 

Lists can be wrong! I, too, remember Andy being bought from Arsenal for 500k.

Maybe the list is talking about Andrew Cole!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Buying and selling players is like buying houses, you can sell a house and think you’ve made money but you’ve got to live somewhere and by the time you’ve replaced it you’ve not made money. Unless you sell a mansion and buy a one bed studio, which is what we seem to have done recently…

Buying and selling players is like making love to a beautiful woman.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I know we've signed a fair few over the years but does anyone have a list of them?

It might be interesting to see how many went on to better things?

Cole, Akinbiyi and Webster are the obvious ones that hit the heights but we must have signed quite a number over the years?

Bloody loads now, back in the day of Thorpe and Akinbiyi a £M was a lot of money now its the starting point fee for a championship standard player. 

• Like 2

The Andy Cole transfer became famous for the wrong reasons.

Although we made a nice profit on our 500k outlay it didn’t take Einstein to work out he was set for the top.

So when we sold him to Newcastle somehow we forgot to add on any clause for if they sold him on for a profit, which they did to Man Utd. 

3 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Webster signed for  £3.60 million and then sold for £20 million 

Kodjia signed for £2.70 million and then sold for £11.52 million

Brownhill signed on a free transfer and then sold for £9 million

Just for balance.

Brownhill cost us something like £400k in compo.

Just to be clear, each of the above three we will’ve had to pay sell-ons to Ipswich, Angers and Preston respectively, and with Flint too.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Pack was 4m? I’ll have what you’re having. Pretty sure he was 850k. 

Edit: I’ve just read the Bristol post article which is Probably your source material… I’m afraid I just cannot accept that anyone has paid 4m for Pack?! That’s insane. 

Yep, was £4m, Cheltenham netted almost £800k from their 20% sell-on with us (albeit they’ll receive that split over Pack’s contract at Cardiff).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just to be clear, each of the above three we will’ve had to pay sell-ons to Ipswich, Angers and Preston respectively, and with Flint too.

Yep, was £4m, Cheltenham netted almost £800k from their 20% sell-on with us (albeit they’ll receive that split over Pack’s contract at Cardiff).

Like wise we will have sell ons inserted into sales. (hopefully).

OK just £8.6 million for Brownhill then, happy to be corrected.

Webster and Kodjia figures correct though ?

Take my figures with a pinch of salt, but I’m happy with the source.

Brownhill £7 (plus add-ons and sell-on)….let’s say 20% of £6.6m = £1.3m to PNE)

Kodjia yep £11m (plus add ons - I suspect we got some for Villa’s promotion….20% of £8.3m = £1.6m to Angers)

Webster yep, similar calculation as above, circa £2-3m to Ipswich.

In recent years our biggest gain was for Bolassie, circa £4-5m when he went to Everton.

Yes, we will have sell-ons…..despite the commercial sensitivity of this, MA always willing to tell us something that would paint him in a good light.  He certainly wouldn’t tell you something that painted him in a poor(er) light like a small transfer fee received when press reporting a higher one! ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Pack was £4m, plus worth pointing out that Eisa was nowhere near £1m, as some of the fee was based on appearances & he made very few, it was said at the time we more than broke even by selling him.

Missing Kodjia off that list Graham. Always think we got a good deal with him as well.

I just remember Burton away, with him and Tammy up front, thinking this pair is going to be great together. Then he downed tools, and the rest if history.

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

Missing Kodjia off that list Graham. Always think we got a good deal with him as well.

I just remember Burton away, with him and Tammy up front, thinking this pair is going to be great together. Then he downed tools, and the rest if history.

Didn’t help any “reconciliation” that Johnson started playing him on the wing!

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Was thinking about him the other day, absolutely he had his head turned by his first season & chased the money (in Qatar now?) but exactly the type of striker we need.

Quick, unpredictable, great running at opponents, decent in the air.

Probably didn’t realise it at the time but what a signing he was, watched a compilation of his goals for us a while ago, scored some absolute crackers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Was thinking about him the other day, absolutely he had his head turned by his first season & chased the money (in Qatar now?) but exactly the type of striker we need.

Quick, unpredictable, great running at opponents, decent in the air.

Probably didn’t realise it at the time but what a signing he was, watched a compilation of his goals for us a while ago, scored some absolute crackers.

I loved watching him play.  Went to Yeovil for that friendly to see him play for the first time.  He looked really good if not on the same wavelength as the other players.  Early season he played well off of Wilbraham, scored a few, and set up loads of chances for others that weren’t taken.  But it was with Tomlin feeding him that he really stood out.  Exactly what we need now.  Semenyo is the closest we have.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Far worse than that.

The man in the Channel Islands with extraordinary deep pockets who keeps appearing on my Instagram feed offering me pension advice - I think I’ll pass - didn’t buy a one bedroom studio.

He’s acquired the whole of BS3 for his investment…..

But to use your analogy it’s not a studio flat we’ve got. It’s a ******* mobile home. 

What a shambles……

Al, was about to post and saw this, I would have said more a Greenhouse !!

Edited by oldstandrobin

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Jesus. I was content selling him for 850k!

• Haha 1