IGNORED

£M players

Ska Junkie

2 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Graham, but wasn't Akinbiyi also our record transfer received (£3.75m?) until Kodjia was sold to Villa?

Strange as it seems I think the only fee we got that was more than Akinbiyi (£3.5m) before we had that spell of selling the likes of Kodjia, Reid, Flint then Webster for big bucks was our sell on for Bolasie.

Everton paid Palace £25m for him in 2016 & I’m pretty sure we got £5m of it.

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

When you check this link out, it is really depressing and a real example of what a royal waste of Steve's money we have made. I wonder how many you would deem as successful from this list. 

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If i got offered a million for palmer, now id snap their hand off.

Remove him off the wage bill.

He will end up in scotland or the lower leauges if hes lucky.

Yep, transfer market has collapsed since COVID and we are stuck with high earners like Wells and Palmer in particular.

Sadly will have to right off any fees for those and look to loan them out for the rest of their contracts (paying 75% of wages for example).

No one could predict the pandemic and it's affect on the transfer market but these 2 in particular were very poor and expensive mistakes regardless.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think we sold him for scrap.

No, that was unfair on Styvar. I believe he was someone who we mysteriously played up front for us when he'd never played that role in Slovakia.

Lee Trundle spread that myth mate because he was miffed that we signed him, telling everyone he was a left back, which he might have been at some point, but definitely not when we signed him as he had actually scored 20 in the season before in the Slovakian league & against Villa in an European game in the season that we signed him.

He was a striker but one that for whatever reason (homesickness, not good enough, who knows) didn’t work out for us.

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think we sold him for scrap.

No, that was unfair on Styvar. I believe he was someone who we mysteriously played up front for us when he'd never played that role in Slovakia.

But he scored a goal in a European match!

Wasn't he playing up front as an emergency forward or something similar?

Ah, I have just seen @GrahamC's post, which sort of answers my question ?.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Lee Trundle spread that myth mate because he was miffed that we signed him, telling everyone he was a left back, which he might have been at some point, but definitely not when we signed him as he had actually scored 20 in the season before in the Slovakian league & against Villa in an European game in the season that we signed him.

He was a striker but one that for whatever reason (homesickness, not good enough, who knows) didn’t work out for us.

That explains it. But also confirms that "looking tidy in the Slovakian league" might be a bit like "seemed a good manager in Scotland".  :laughcont:

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

That explains it. But also confirms that "looking tidy in the Slovakian league" might be a bit like "seemed a good manager in Scotland".  :laughcont:

He looked decent in European games. Seemed a logical decent signing at the time but never settled - see Nagy.

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

He looked decent in European games. Seemed a logical decent signing at the time but never settled - see Nagy.

Nagy had some decent games. It's unfortunate he was one of a number of players who gave up on this club last season. You need only to have watched him in Hungarian internationals to see how he could be effective in a different formation.

Styvar never really shone here, though he was a trier.  To be fair, he was no worse than other Gary Johnson efforts to supply a second striker to partner Adebola (and later Maynard) - Stern John, John Akinde, Patrick Agyemang, Chris Iwulemo, David Clarkson and the legend that is Stefan Maierhoffer.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Nagy had some decent games. It's unfortunate he was one of a number of players who gave up on this club last season. You need only to have watched him in Hungarian internationals to see how he could be effective in a different formation.

Styvar never really shone here, though he was a trier.  To be fair, he was no worse than other Gary Johnson efforts to supply a second striker to partner Adebola (and later Maynard) - Stern John, John Akinde, Patrick Agyemang, Chris Iwulemo, David Clarkson and the legend that is Stefan Maierhoffer.

Nagy (and family) gave up on England more than City - IMO.

10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Gave up on ever making it at City but you could never accuse him of not putting in 100%. There were some games where it seemed he was the only midfielder out there for us.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1