IGNORED

Potential Windfall

HappyClapper

This plus maybe 1 sale (though I'm not sure who...) would allow Nige to get one or two more faces in. Considering his current acquisitions are Atkinson, Simpson, Tanner, James and King that's good news (I realise Simpson is contentious but if nothing more than a mentor for Tanner he'll have use). 

• Like 1

Odd that Transfer market have his current value listed as £9m - I know that's far from accurate, but as a guide..! 

Having sold him for £13m+ it would take a huge transfer fee to net us anything like "millions" 

IF (&that's a big IF, based on the size of the initial fee) we had a 20% sell on clause, then it's going to take a fee of £25m+ to net us that kind of windfall. 

Possible, of course, especially at his young age, but for a player who's, unproven at Premier league level, and the possibility that the sell on clause may be 10% rather than 20%, I don't think we should get too excited at the hope of this bolstering our transfer budget my any significant amount - all helps though, of course. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Odd that Transfer market have his current value listed as £9m - I know that's far from accurate, but as a guide..! 

Having sold him for £13m+ it would take a huge transfer fee to net us anything like "millions" 

IF (&that's a big IF, based on the size of the initial fee) we had a 20% sell on clause, then it's going to take a fee of £25m+ to net us that kind of windfall. 

Possible, of course, especially at his young age, but for a player who's, unproven at Premier league level, and the possibility that the sell on clause may be 10% rather than 20%, I don't think we should get too excited at the hope of this bolstering our transfer budget my any significant amount - all helps though, of course. 

Newcastle will certainly be paying £25+ million for multiple players in January.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A player is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. 

He had bad injuries in their Premier league season and with the covid factor, people ain't worth what they would be usually. 

But I'd agree, that does seem a tad low in my opinion. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Batman said:

A player is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. 

He had bad injuries in their Premier league season and with the covid factor, people ain't worth what they would be usually. 

But I'd agree, that does seem a tad low in my opinion. 

As @Coxy27 says above, I think Newcastle would be the most beneficial suitors for us.

Their new owners will be bucking the trend & splashing cash around over the next few windows. To appease their fans if nothing else. 

Whether a championship CB will be the statement they want to make, may be questionable. 

If they are as wealthy as is being touted, then they may be happier paying more for a bigger name. 

Eddie Howe obviously knows him though, so that may be irrelivent. 

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Because there's a good chance that Newcastle will be relegated?

And its grim up North (that was a joke, I promise)

I don't think Shaun Goater regretted his move to Man City..! 

Normally 20% of the profit, so if we sold him for £13m and he is sold for £23m we net £2m as I understand it, but even though the Magpies may have cash to splash, I can't see them paying that much for a Championship defender.  However even a £5m mark up would net us £1m which we can put towards buying the No. 9 we so desperately need.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As @Coxy27 says above, I think Newcastle would be the most beneficial suitors for us.

Newcastle will be great for everyone. Absolute cash cow to milk.

Have a player is worth £10 million?? charge Newcastle £15 million if they get in touch. Get a huge mark up if they come calling as everyone knows they have the money. 

Championship players will want to go there. Premier league players I'm not so sure because its a relegation battle from the off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Newcastle will be great for everyone. Absolute cash cow to milk.

Have a player is worth £10 million?? charge Newcastle £15 million if they get in touch. Get a huge mark up if they come calling as everyone knows they have the money. 

Championship players will want to go there. Premier league players I'm not so sure because its a relegation battle from the off. 

The way the transfer market used to work it was more like £10m to £200m for a team like Newcastle ?.

• Like 1

Any potential windfall will be a percentage (20%?) of the profit Bournemouth make on what they paid us (£13m) for him, so it might not net us a huge sum in the current market.

I'd like to know if Kelly's sell-on applies to all future sales as is increasingly the case. That could be worth serious cash. 

He's not the sort of player they need right now.  Much better suited going for experienced Premiership types and paying them shedloads.  Dunk, Webster, Mings, Tarkowski, Coady, Mee, Bednarek.  1 of those plus maybe a Kelly type.  They also need a midfielder of the ilk of Ward-Prowse.  Get 2 leaders in now as well as 2 or 3 proven players where needed.  Best off raiding their immediate rivals as they need to first overtake the likes of Southampton, Leeds and Palace.

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Because there's a good chance that Newcastle will be relegated?

And its grim up North (that was a joke, I promise)

Hahaha, footballers only see £ signs and I imagine going to Newcastle he will see lots of them!

Newcastle is a great city and the whole Northumberland coast is stunning! Sunderland and Middlesborough however .........

36 minutes ago, tin said:

Any potential windfall will be a percentage (20%?) of the profit Bournemouth make on what they paid us (£13m) for him, so it might not net us a huge sum in the current market.

I'd like to know if Kelly's sell-on applies to all future sales as is increasingly the case. That could be worth serious cash. 

Yes, it is, but it becomes diminishing returns, and only continues as long as the player is sold for a profit.

An example:

Kelly sold £15m with 20% sell on to Bournemouth 

Bournemouth sell him to Newcastle for £25m (£10m profit / 20% - City get £2m) with a 10% sell on

Newcastle sell him to Liverpool for £50m (£25m profit / 10% - Bournemouth get £2.5m, but City get 20% of that, so £0.5m) no sell on

A. Liverpool sell him to AC Milan for £75m (the chain has stopped because Newcastle has no sell on agreed).

B. Liverpool sell him to Aston Villa for £35m (the chain would stop regardless of whether Newcastle had agreed a sell on or not, because there is no profit.

• Thanks 1

Everyone assuming any windfall from the sale of Kelly goes straight to NP for new players?  We are about to post record losses so won't the playing budgets remain as is and this unexpected windfall (if it happens) will just go towards offsetting some of the losses?

That would be my guess

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Everyone assuming any windfall from the sale of Kelly goes straight to NP for new players?  We are about to post record losses so won't the playing budgets remain as is and this unexpected windfall (if it happens) will just go towards offsetting some of the losses?

That would be my guess

Was my thoughts too in my earlier post.