IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

He just needs to take more shots, time and again he gets into good positions but never seams to think about hitting it at goal , it's like he's looking for the perfect finish instead of just hitting it hard and seeing what happens, get the feeling he makes it complex for himself when got time to think ,

Absolutely. That opportunity he had from Martin's layoff couldn't have been in a better position for him to hit into the bottom corner.

Even if his finishing doesn't improve, he will get plenty of chances due to his movement and some will end up going in!

I quite enjoyed the gane today. We were OK, competed well, and it's a nice change to score a late goal rather than concede up.

This result gives us a win, a loss and a draw from 3 games.

We had a win, a loss, and a draw from the 3 prior to that.

In fact take any block of 3 games this season and its a mix of results.

We've got 7 wins, 6 draws, 9 losses overall.

It's this kind of consistent inconsistency that will mean we land in that lower half of the table, but are never seriously threatened with the drop. We look unlikely to win, lose, or draw 6 on the bounce, and will have good, bad, and ugly performances throughout the season.

Keep going at 1.33 points per game and we'll be just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
15 minutes ago, winsaw said:

He just needs to take more shots, time and again he gets into good positions but never seams to think about hitting it at goal , it's like he's looking for the perfect finish instead of just hitting it hard and seeing what happens, get the feeling he makes it complex for himself when got time to think ,

In fairness, most City fans have been critical for him shooting TOO much previously, so whilst I get the criticism today for not pulling the trigger, it’s not something you label at him usually.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You could understand the bench getting the hump when he didn’t shoot first half. Hit the ******* thing and if you miss or the keeper makes the save then so be it. That was what Pearson was on about when he was talking about failing by being positive.

Yes.  Sat up lovely to striker it.

A point- would have taken that.

A little bit closer to the drop zone despite a successive home and away game unbeaten for the first time since September! Small steps. The next target has to be back to back wins...although we can't achieve that until Boxing Day at the earliest.

Great strike by James, great to see Semenyo on the scoresheet as well- hope Scott's injury isn't too severe.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A point- would have taken that.

A little bit closer to the drop zone despite a successive home and away game unbeaten for the first time since September! Small steps. The next target has to be back to back wins...although we can't achieve that until Boxing Day at the earliest.

Great strike by James, great to see Semenyo on the scoresheet as well- hope Scott's injury isn't too severe.

The radio Bristol interviewer asked whether it was an impact injury. NP said it wasn't and he (Scott) was feeling it in both calves or some such. I was less informed than I'd be if the question hadn't been asked.

• Thanks 1

Don't usually comment on these threads, but back from Hull and more importantly defrosted.

Compared with the capitulation at Coventry and the not turning up at Birmingham this was a much better performance.

It's completely obvious what Pearson's plan is, play with three centre-backs, one who seems to think he is a box to box midfielder (and usually gets away with it), one who has one hell of a pass in him, and the totally committed Kalas.

All the youngsters played well, and all will develop this season, hopefully not so much that they got bought though.

And then some absolute class from James, sent the few delirious, until the cold got into us again!

Would be interested if @Davefevshas some pretty plots and pictures for Atkinson?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Hxj said:

Don't usually comment on these threads, but back from Hull and more importantly defrosted.

Compared with the capitulation at Coventry and the not turning up at Birmingham this was a much better performance.

It's completely obvious what Pearson's plan is, play with three centre-backs, one who seems to think he is a box to box midfielder (and usually gets away with it), one who has one hell of a pass in him, and the totally committed Kalas.

All the youngsters played well, and all will develop this season, hopefully not so much that they got bought though.

And then some absolute class from James, sent the few delirious, until the cold got into us again!

Would be interested if @Davefevshas some pretty plots and pictures for Atkinson?

Not until tomorrow when Wyscout does it’s overnight update.

4 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Point away from home always a good result. I think Semenyo gives us an attacking impetus that we lacked before. He's not amazing, but he just injects energy going forward and gives us something different in the final third. Good stuff overall.

An old expression is that he keeps the defenders ‘ honest ‘ . 
They can’t switch off for a second when AS is in the team.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The radio Bristol interviewer asked whether it was an impact injury. NP said it wasn't and he (Scott) was feeling it in both calves or some such. I was less informed than I'd be if the question hadn't been asked.

Sounds like teenage muscles not being up to coping with ninety minutes of Championship football every week.

He will overcome this problem sooner rather than later!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hxj said:

As a taster until Dave does it properly, an early look thanks to who scored.com.

Touches by 2 of our CB's

1623660184_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_23_48.png.2dbe4fd8964fcd315782f50a0713f4e3.png

and their heat maps .

35502708_Screenshot2021-12-11at22_24_13.png.86126380290e5b354a4c820272581f42.png

Not just Wilder at Sheff U with overlapping CB's obviously.

As our midfield don't keep the ball too well, it is handy, when playing a team that presses, to have Cb's that can bring the ball out. I thought Vyner did it well at times, and Atkinson did ok even if he does look like he's lost when he reaches the edge of the box. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RedM said:

Hull won the first half, and we won the second. A draw a fair result.

That said, Hull will be gutted and us relieved. To come from behind twice and end with a point feels totally different from taking the lead twice doesn't it.

Same result different feeling, footballs a rollercoaster isn't it, but I'm glad I have bought a ticket, people that say they have no interest in it you have to feel sorry for them as they don't know what their missing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hxj said:

Well done for going, felt like a win to me sat at home so for you well what can I say bet you danced a little jig, I would have done.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well done for going

Fortunately I live closer to Hull than Bristol ? oh and for some strange reason I had a business meeting in Leeds on Friday ???

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

As a taster

Thanks - appreciate he gets the proverbial nose bleed - but that is a pretty impressive heat map for Vyner and Atkinson - one day Atkinson will bring it forward 60 yards and smack it past the keeper!

• Like 3

Just in terms of CBs, carrying the ball is quite important in a back 3 but as I mentioned before, assist for Kalas.

Yes Vyner and Atkinson are clearly the carriers in that shape but said it before think Kalas can contribute in a technical sense too even if not expansively as such.

Dunno if SofaScore is accurate tbh but...

Kalas- Last 5 games

1. Hull away- 48/57 passes completed- I know a pass can be a few yards sideways, or backwards so the metric in itself is of limited use. However 1 Assist and 1 Key Pass is of use. 84% anyway.
  2. Derby home- 19/24 passes completed. 79% anyway. 0 key passes or assists.
  3. Sheffield United away. 17/27 passes completed. 63% anyway. 1 key pass.
  4. Stoke home- 19/20 passes completed- 95%. 1 key pass.
  5. Blackburn home- 24/36 passes completed- 67%. 1 key pass.

By no means am I saying he's an amazingly creative ball playing CB- but at the same time even if more conservatively he has the attributes to contribute a bit more in this regard if given license/the opportunity.

His passing accuracy FWIW exceeded ours in all 5 games.

1. Hull away- 84% to Kalas, 72% to us.
  2. Derby home- 79% to Kalas, 65% to us.
  3. Sheffield United away- 63% to Kalas, 61% to us.
  4. Stoke home- 95% to Kalas, 64% to us.
  5. Blackburn home- 67% to Kalas, 60% to us.

I say FWIW, it's of limited use to some extent but yeah given the opportunity he can contribute in aspects of this. He gets great credit for never say die, blocks etc...but he also has his uses with Interceptions and in some respects in possession.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
13 hours ago, RedM said:

No I've not heard it yet. Good, I'm glad he isn't happy as we got to produce better than that today. Not too many players came out with much credit from me

I'm surprised you are so critical. I thought we were the better team for large periods. Not top level Championship by any stretch, but it was only in the final third that we looked a bit clueless and yet we still scored twice. We all see different things I guess. Plus I was watching on my phone with a bad connection!

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I quite enjoyed the gane today. We were OK, competed well, and it's a nice change to score a late goal rather than concede up.

This result gives us a win, a loss and a draw from 3 games.

We had a win, a loss, and a draw from the 3 prior to that.

In fact take any block of 3 games this season and its a mix of results.

We've got 7 wins, 6 draws, 9 losses overall.

It's this kind of consistent inconsistency that will mean we land in that lower half of the table, but are never seriously threatened with the drop. We look unlikely to win, lose, or draw 6 on the bounce, and will have good, bad, and ugly performances throughout the season.

Keep going at 1.33 points per game and we'll be just fine.

The way we lose 6 on the bounce now is if we suffer an injury crisis, which wouldn't be wholly surprising!

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some years ago, I saw a question in a children's quiz that asked something along the lines of:

The walrus has a diverse diet, and has even been known to eat seals.

However, they don't eat penguins.

Why not?

Because they can’t get the wrappers off ?? ?

Edit: apologies - I see some others had already posted similar responses - old ones are the best though!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet the post from @Southport Red that you quoted with your reply above had ‘Weimann’ spelt perfectly correctly ... ?

Or did it?! I may have done you a disservice there @Red7 - apologies ... especially as I believe I am one of the biggest pedants on here regarding spelling etc - I am truly ashamed ?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Robin 1
55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Or did it?! I may have done you a disservice there @Red7 - apologies ... especially as I believe I am one of the biggest pedants on here regarding spelling etc - I am truly ashamed ?

Me too, apologies to @Red7, was sure it was 'Wie' and it was my use of the double 'n' you thought was wrong.

Kind've made your point for you didn't I? ?

Edited by Southport Red
  • Robin 1