IGNORED

KP 45

Alan Dicks

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Yep finding a home for him will be tough, but you would think a deal is lined up . Player takes drop in wages, we subsidise some, fee around a million etc. There are ways. In the end , if he sees out his 19 months on the bench(or reserves) he will end up with a lost career and little chance of a league club wanting him. He will have to invest in his football career too. He needs a club that will play him, and that is likely to be L1 right now. Sunderland or Ipswich. Though I suspect he wants a London club or closer to London

It's not going to look good when we have to pay someone a million to take him.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

My issue with Palmer is that he doesn't have enough attributes that are required to play in the attacking midfielder position in the championship. 

His biggest strength is his ability to play a through ball. However, what often gets overlooked is that he attempts to play those through balls due to his lack of mobility. 

Many teams are now moving away from systems that require an attacking midfielder, instead opting for a 4-3-3. 

Yet, those teams that do continue to play with an attacking midfielder, often deploy players who are very much the opposite mould to Palmer. An example would be Illias Chair at QPR, Small, tenacious, mobile and is able to drop into pockets all over the pitch. George Honeyman (Hull) would be another good example of this. Kasey Palmer is the complete opposite, he is often found in the central area, unable to take players on, closed down, and forced into playing a through ball that may or may not come off. 

All of the current top 4 teams in the division, are now looking to set up in a 4-3-3 due to the flexibility it offers them. Players can easily change their set up when in and out of possession. Palmer doesn't possess the flexibility required to play a multitude of positions and that will be his biggest downfall as a championship player.

This is why I believe offloading him may be a trickier task than first thought, add in his wages and it's hard to see where he may end up. 

Agreed.

A "free role" is no longer viable.

He was born into the wrong footballing era IMO.

If he was around 20 years ago he would be in his element with the way the game was played and how sides set up.

11 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

My issue with Palmer is that he doesn't have enough attributes that are required to play in the attacking midfielder position in the championship. 

His biggest strength is his ability to play a through ball. However, what often gets overlooked is that he attempts to play those through balls due to his lack of mobility. 

Many teams are now moving away from systems that require an attacking midfielder, instead opting for a 4-3-3. 

Yet, those teams that do continue to play with an attacking midfielder, often deploy players who are very much the opposite mould to Palmer. An example would be Illias Chair at QPR, Small, tenacious, mobile and is able to drop into pockets all over the pitch. George Honeyman (Hull) would be another good example of this. Kasey Palmer is the complete opposite, he is often found in the central area, unable to take players on, closed down, and forced into playing a through ball that may or may not come off. 

All of the current top 4 teams in the division, are now looking to set up in a 4-3-3 due to the flexibility it offers them. Players can easily change their set up when in and out of possession. Palmer doesn't possess the flexibility required to play a multitude of positions and that will be his biggest downfall as a championship player.

This is why I believe offloading him may be a trickier task than first thought, add in his wages and it's hard to see where he may end up. 

I get what you’re saying but do you honestly believe that a player with the talent and flair of Palmer has no future in the game?  This strikes me as desperately sad.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I get what you’re saying but do you honestly believe that a player with the talent and flair of Palmer has no future in the game?  This strikes me as desperately sad.

There are lots and lots of players playing at lower levels than their ability level.  Ability alone is not enough in the modern game.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

However we look at this situation  it is monumental waste of money and talent.

Fans were desperate for him to be signed, social media frenzy I seem to remember.

Interesting to find out how big a part that played into us signing him, season ticket sales etc.

As you say though turned out to be a waste of everyone's time and money in the long run.

41 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Championship is too quick for him. Wants too much time on the ball.

Would suit the Premier League more.

40 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Fans were desperate for him to be signed, social media frenzy I seem to remember.

Interesting to find out how big a part that played into us signing him, season ticket sales etc.

As you say though turned out to be a waste of everyone's time and money in the long run.

I think if social media actually played a part, it just reinforces MA and LJ’s incompetence at recruitment.

But at the same time highlights the facile approach the CEO took towards this club if he was swayed by such superficial gains / popularity etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Wheres its even quicker?? no chance.

Agree, PL is far quicker.  A bit of a myth that you get more time in the PL.  think people forget that better players make it look slower, and in the heat of midfield or the gaps between forward line and midfield where Palmer operates is the quickest area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

I'm usually quite defensive of LJ as I believe 90% of our problems were down to MA but for me KP was was a problem with both. MA got his ego stroked by working with Chelsea and LJ thought he could change KP into a more mobile midfielder but obviously didn't understand the personality fully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Very little imho.  He signed on 1st Aug, first game v Leeds on 4th Aug….the vast majority of season card sales done and dusted by then.  The commercial element of a single player is pretty minimal at our level.

I hope fans / social media frenzy played no part at all.  That would be a sad indictment on our owners, CEO, head-coach and recruitment team / process.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

I’m in the minority cos I’ve always rated Palmer. I like his ability to pick a pass to open up defences and he has an eye for goal. I never really perceived a lack of work rate on the pitch, but saw it as a lack of defensive or tactical discipline/awareness. 

I have no idea what his attitude is like off the pitch or in training, but he has failed to impress several managers/coaches now and his City career must surely be over. 

If I was SL I’d be seething at the money wasted (big fee and wages) on a player who has not  featured consistently. A bit like Wells. Signings made with seemingly no thought. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Offside said:

I’m in the minority cos I’ve always rated Palmer. I like his ability to pick a pass to open up defences and he has an eye for goal. I never really perceived a lack of work rate on the pitch, but saw it as a lack of defensive or tactical discipline/awareness. 

I have no idea what his attitude is like off the pitch or in training, but he has failed to impress several managers/coaches now and his City career must surely be over. 

If I was SL I’d be seething at the money wasted (big fee and wages) on a player who has not  featured consistently. A bit like Wells. Signings made with seemingly no thought. 

Not dissimilar to my view.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I didn't say "no future in the game". 

However, with the way the game is changing, he either needs to add more to his game, or he will find himself dropping down the divisions.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 13:03, steviestevieneville said:

He’s a millionaire at 24 . Too much too young imo . 

Arent most of them by 24? if they’ve played in the top 2 divisions, not sure how that’s relevant? Being a millionaire young  doesn’t make you any less talented, If you have the talent you have the talent! 

Being able to play one really good pass every 5 games or only being able to perform when Benik Afobe is playing isn’t talent! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Arent most of them by 24? if they’ve played in the top 2 divisions, not sure how that’s relevant? Being a millionaire young  doesn’t make you any less talented, If you have the talent you have the talent! 

Being able to play one really good pass every 5 games or only being able to perform when Benik Afobe is playing isn’t talent! 

I didn’t say he wasn’t talented . I said I think his hunger has gone 

• Like 1