IGNORED

Pearson post match

Jerseybean

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Really enjoyed his comments after the game https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/were-a-work-in-progress-pearson/

It is so, so refreshing to hear a City Manager say it like it is, he is authentic without being dramatic and (at least for me) articulates pretty much what I witnessed. Particularly liked ‘we are definitely a work in progress’ and ‘we complicate the simple.’

What a contrast with some recent incumbents!  

So true. No more little catch phases like ‘pitch personality’ and similar total waffle. I am so confident NP will create something here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I echo your comments and despite what I sometimes read on here I believe they are echoed in AG as well. There is a willingness for Pearson and his team  to succeed on match days and that is only going to grow as time goes on.

He is a good fit for this football club - a straight shooter. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I echo your comments and despite what I sometimes read on here I believe they are echoed in AG as well. There is a willingness for Pearson and his team  to succeed on match days and that is only going to grow as time goes on.

He is a good fit for this football club - a straight shooter. 

the best weve had in eons

Entertained? I think it's been a mixed bag- not flowing tiki taka but not as bad as some people say either.

I would say certainly the following range from reasonable to good with some in between...okay some of these might be a bit generous and tbh aren't all about the result either.

1. Blackpool Home- Last minute equaliser aside, I thought we played quite well- vs a buoyant newly promoted side yes we should have won but it was their only shot on target IIRC and we had good possession in the 1st half.
  2. Reading Away- 3 goals but not much ball, but despite that a reasonable watch in an entertaining counter attacking way.
  3. Swansea Home- Thought we were unlucky to lose and virtually matched them in possession- worth a point at least and again had our chances. Result poor, performance alright.
  4. Cardiff Away- Less ball but quite enjoyable.
  5. Preston Home- Equal possession and chances, perhaps they looked a bit better in some aspects but acceptable vs a (as per recent seasons) reasonable Championship side.
  6. Luton Home- We virtually matched them in possession, maybe one side or the other had a bit more but they definitely had more chances in the 2nd half especially. Rode our luck when they hit woodwork?
  7. Fulham Home- Enjoyable game vs arguably the best, certainly the side with the deepest squad in the League. Okay they were better than us but we showed grit, left it all on the pitch and in some aspects did deserve our point.
  8. I would say we were unlucky to lose at Millwall away, perhaps worth a point or neither side worth the win more accurate?
  9. Peterborough Away-They actually have quite a good home record. To come away from there with a 3-2 win dug in, showed some real character especially given their tendency to turn it round at home from 1-0 down to 2-1 up...we went a goal down, turned it round to 2-1 us- and clinched it in the last 10.
  10. Blackburn Home- First Half especially yet look at them of late. Restricted to zero shots in 1st half and we had good possession...felt a lot more like some of the early season.
  11. Derby Home- First Half especially, 2nd half we were quite comfortable although unlike number 10 we were at home to the bottom side.

Some of these are a bit contentious and I have actually left out 3 wins- QPR Away, Barnsley Home, and Stoke Home- in the 1st and 3rd we arguably rode our luck quite a bit although the results were great and had some very encouraging aspects and the 2nd one was just a game we had to win yet it was so nervy towards the end. Although all had some good things- thought the goals were taken really well at QPR, a side in and around the top 6 at that- Stoke we had all the injuries yet Benarous and Scott did their thing, Bakinson's 1st goal of the season- we know from 2020/21 that he might chip in with some from midfield and Barnsley at Home- yes it was a must win but I thought the goals we took well, some nice quick breaking in the buildup.

I'm encouraged anyway, right behind NP and happy to see youth getting their chance- it's a building season we all know that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 8

Pearson is a top manager and well thought of in the game. I haven’t worried too much about some of the results and performances we’ve had just lately. I can’t wait until the team starts taking shape and I’m looking forward to see what players he brings in. The future looks bright as far as I’m concerned ?

• Like 8

9 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Straight talking? I find his post-match interviews like reading a passage from Finnegan’s Wake. 

No one is asking you to listen.

Far better than Holden’s inane “I’m not going to mug anyone off” or “Look yourselves in the mirror” or LJ’s “busy bees” “lots of box entries” bollocks.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

I like to hear that NP would prefer us to fail being positive rather than be tentative. 

Part of our problem is the psychology of our squad. Even Semenyo, one of our most dynamic players, seems like he doesn't fully believe in himself. 

We need to recruit a couple more 'winners' to help lift the mentality of the group.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

I like to hear that NP would prefer us to fail being positive rather than be tentative. 

Part of our problem is the psychology of our squad. Even Semenyo, one of our most dynamic players, seems like he doesn't fully believe in himself. 

We need to recruit a couple more 'winners' to help lift the mentality of the group.

Indeed. I have said as much on here before that untill Pearson has the opportunity of bringing in more of his type of player we won’t see truly what he is trying to achieve.

There is still too much of a losers/negative mindset amongst many of this squad and that steams back to the LJ era. Players that need to be moved on to help their own careers as much as it is needed to help the cause here. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agree, but surely every player in our squad should already have that mentality anyway.

Depends on how he defines "winners".

Maybe it's more about belief, confidence and positivity.

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I did not watch the game, picked up some of the matchday comments, so it was interesting to hear this interview. He sounds quite exasperated at the inability to carry out the basics and we are certainly not following the pre game plans. Confidence, more bravery needed and some greater technical ability. But, we are working through it. It is interesting to note how tight the mifddle part of our league is, and the good first half of a season both QPR and Blackburn are having after going through similar slow rebuilds. Going to take a little patience. 

Think once he’s watched it back he will be happy with our passing in our 2/3rds but disappointed with the decision making / cutting edge in final third….⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Weird because Pearson has seemed much happier with much worse performances in post match interviews earlier in the season.

….because I think he reckons we should’ve taken more than one point.  We wasted some good opportunities with poor execution when it mattered.  There were several moments where I swore inwardly at the final pass.  I sense Nige saw it as points dropped.

Their second goal annoyed me.

8A76F15B-75AC-41DF-AB3B-E929060CFF14.thumb.jpeg.d866c2ded0323a8501e46d2b8d0835a1.jpeg

As soon as that ball is played inside, I’m shouting “left back channel” because I can see our shape has been wrecked. O’Dowda too high, Atkinson wrong side. Not saying its their fault, but we allowed ourselves to be dragged into positions where we are taken out by one pass (the one after the pass infield.

97CB8250-1A90-4295-A57F-D2FC874AA80B.thumb.jpeg.13efa0a05a15064d140cd24e165c8e1a.jpeg

What further frustrated me is Honeyman, the scorer, in acres.  Where is the midfield getting back? In fairness to Atkinson, having been out of position, he dies get back and deflects the cross behind the retreating lines.

Tanner can’t change direction quickly enough, and the rest is history.  But where are the midfielders who were in-touch with Honeyman when the ball was passed.  Poor goal to concede.  Hard yards early, boys!  Never forget.

When Honeyman scores, where are James and Weimann, the deeper 2 CMs initially?  Massengo (pic1) is the furthest of the three forward initially, and the closest to Honeyman when he scores.  The other two let him run, not Massengo.  James does get back with another runner, but Weimann has barely moved.  Another reason why I wouldn’t play Weimann in midfield / no10 unless really necessary.

40 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Indeed Joe - with these magical ingredients the world is your lobster..

Without them all the potential in the world will lie cold.

The Jam - world is your oyster but your future’s a clam.

• Like 2