IGNORED

PENGUINS

PHILINFRANCE

In yesterday’s match day thread, @ExiledAjax informed us that Downsy had a penguin on his Christmas jumper, figuratively speaking of course.

As he pointed out quite correctly, this is a cultural nonsense, for penguins are found in the southern hemisphere and, as we all know, Father Christmas, or Santa Claus, and his workshop are based at the North Pole; antipodal points of the sphere we know as Earth, polar opposites if you like, i.e. North Pole and South Pole.

In support of EA’s valid observation, I happened to mention a question I had seen in a children's quiz some years ago that asked something along the lines of:

The walrus has a diverse diet, and has even been known to eat seals.

However, they don't eat penguins.

Why not?

Now, this is a serious subject, particularly at this time of the year when Father Christmas and his elves are busy wrapping their presents and preparing the sleigh and feeding the reigndeer, so you can imagine my disappointment when I read such puerile (perhaps infantile) responses such as 'walruses don’t like chocolate', or 'they can’t get the wrappers off'.

Well, for those of you interested, the walrus, like the polar bear, is only found at the North Pole, whereas penguins are confined to the South Pole.

Here ends today’s lesson.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In yesterday’s match day thread, @ExiledAjax informed us that Downsy had a penguin on his Christmas jumper, figuratively speaking of course.

As he pointed out quite correctly, this is a cultural nonsense, for penguins are found in the southern hemisphere and, as we all know, Father Christmas, or Santa Claus, and his workshop are based at the North Pole; antipodal points of the sphere we know as Earth, polar opposites if you like, i.e. North Pole and South Pole.

In support of EA’s valid observation, I happened to mention a question I had seen in a children's quiz some years ago that asked something along the lines of:

Why not?

Now, this is a serious subject, particularly at this time of the year when Father Christmas and his elves are busy wrapping their presents and preparing the sleigh and feeding the reigndeer, so you can imagine my disappointment when I read such puerile (perhaps infantile) responses such as 'walruses don’t like chocolate', or 'they can’t get the wrappers off'.

Well, for those of you interested, the walrus, like the polar bear, is only found at the North Pole, whereas penguins are confined to the South Pole.

Correct Phil. I did see your response, but such was my fury at Downsy's abhorrent and very much anti-festive attire, that I could not bring myself to answer.

Thank you for valid contribution to this vital crusade.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a particularly festive leopard seal shaped cake to make.

Have debated this for years with various people.

Stick a bobble hat and scarf on anything and add some snow, it will look 'Christmassy'.

Screw the penguins, lets give Arctic hares and the like some seasonal limelight for a change!

On the subject of penguins, quite possibly one of the saddest things I've ever seen (well, penguin related anyway)...

37 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I beg to differ, as at least one walrus was living in the Isles of Scilly until recently, and I think another has been spotted in Tyneside.

https://inews.co.uk/news/arctic-walrus-size-fridge-spotted-northumberland-on-hunt-food-1302143

Penguins also live in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Patagonia, not to mention the Falklands and its dependencies.

Also regarding Santa's workshop. As the North Pole is covered in moving pack ice for much of the year these days, does he only set up during the winter months when it is frozen solid?  If so, it's a hell of a feat of R&D for the elves to develop new toys, source the materials and build production lines in only a few months.

29 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I beg to differ, as at least one walrus was living in the Isles of Scilly until recently, and I think another has been spotted in Tyneside.

https://inews.co.uk/news/arctic-walrus-size-fridge-spotted-northumberland-on-hunt-food-1302143

Penguins also live in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Patagonia, not to mention the Falklands and its dependencies.

Also regarding Santa's workshop. As the North Pole is covered in moving pack ice for much of the year these days, does he only set up during the winter months when it is frozen solid?  If so, it's a hell of a feat of R&D for the elves to develop new toys, source the materials and build production lines in only a few months.

Very true and a real logistical nightmare.  

On the other hand, if he can manage to deliver all the right presents to every child in the world in one night, that problem should be a piece of piss for our Santa!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Why not?

Artic has Bears, Antarctic no Bears!
Origin of the Name "Antarctica"

Antarctica means 'no bears'. It is true that there are no bears in Antarctica, but the name comes from a Roman version of the Greek word that is antarktike. ... Thus, Antarctica means opposite of Arctic land, “Anti-” plus the Arctic which forms a compound word.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Why not?

They cannot afford them!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's still very much a north/south divide regarding the locations of penguins and walruses. 

Father Christmas' workshop is in Lapland, which is northern Finland, and is very much a land-based endeavour. The heating bill is horrendous, but it's not a floating laboratory or anything like that.

46 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's still very much a north/south divide regarding the locations of penguins and walruses. 

Father Christmas' workshop is in Lapland, which is northern Finland, and is very much a land-based endeavour. The heating bill is horrendous, but it's not a floating laboratory or anything like that.

You've reminded me of the time I was in Finland and went to a Lap dancing club only to be disappointed to find a bunch of rosy-faced blokes wearing chunky knitwear and reindeer-skin hats doing some tribal chanting. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Very true and a real logistical nightmare.  

On the other hand, if he can manage to deliver all the right presents to every child in the world in one night, that problem should be a piece of piss for our Santa!

It's not so difficult when you have the ability to suspend time. 

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

Have debated this for years with various people.

Stick a bobble hat and scarf on anything and add some snow, it will look 'Christmassy'.

Screw the penguins, lets give Arctic hares and the like some seasonal limelight for a change!

On the subject of penguins, quite possibly one of the saddest things I've ever seen (well, penguin related anyway)...

I'll counter that with one of my favourite videos on the internet

Can't really explain why i like it so much.

Maybe its the group of penguins sounding like the aliens in Toy Story, maybe its the one that fell responding with what I imagine to be *ahem* "flip off"

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 14:09, AppyDAZE said:

Couldn't help but notice that Pens in the PL was above this thread for a while.

For a moment, I thought Penguins in the Prem?  What a weird topic.

Oh, and to the traumatised guy earlier. You were PECKED by a penguin and not bitten.

They have a bill.

Wonder if he paid it 

• Haha 1