IGNORED

PENGUINS

PHILINFRANCE

10 hours ago, grifty said:

Aren't there penguins in/on the Galápagos Islands? That's a little bit closer to the North Pole.

There is a professional ice hockey team based in the USA, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I don't think they're actual penguins though. Maybe their keeper if he flaps a lot in his area?

back in the 80s during the falklands war, a friend of mine received a spoof home office headed  letter advising him that hed been called up for national service and was to be sent to the falklands with the sas. he was to be part of a group landing ashore disguised as penguins and was told to change his diet to fish

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Oh and i got chased down the beach at Husvik in South Georgia by an Elephant seal, they're a bit bigger than penguins in case anyone was wondering.

Elephant Seal. Not as fast as David Seal.

South Georgia? Did you see the memorial to Ernest Shackleton?

Edited by Norn Iron
Grammar

2 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

His grave? If so yes, it's in the graveyard at Grytviken.

South Georgia is the most stunning place i've ever visited, love to go back and visit again.

Wow!

I don't think people have fully grasped what Ernest and a few explorers did when fleeing the Antarctic in a small wooden boat leaving the others behind. A full rescue was needed. To get to South Georgia without Satellite Navigation was one thing. To land on the island was another but to then climb the mountain and glacier before reaching the whaling station was something else.

Thanks for sharing.