IGNORED

Do not sign anyone in January - 3 year Plan.

Waconda

Keep whatever powder we have dry and wait for the Summer.

Continue the formation, team selection and tactics since NP came back from illness and we will survive comfortably.

Don't see the point of panic/expensive purchases in January if this is a 3 year plan.

If a "Tanner like" option appears then possibly yes

but please, please no journeymen ex Prem players.

15 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Continue the formation, team selection and tactics since NP came back from illness and we will survive comfortably.

Don't see the point of panic/expensive purchases in January if this is a 3 year plan.

Agree about the journeyman players (with the possible exception of a striker).

However eight(?) points off a play off place with more than half the season to go, get Williams, Baker and King back in the fold, add a couple or three decent players and who knows?

The Championship, despite parachute payments, is so tight that with a large slice of luck it’s possible a long shot could go up this season.

I can at least dream.

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If martin and wells get ten between them between now and end of season be a miracle!

If martin, his first choice gets injured, what then?

Not getting in a striker now would be foolish.

I expect 2 players to arrive.

Probe is the wrong striker could be foolish too. 

If we can find a striker who can improve the team, we can afford him and he wants to come then brilliant. 

But if we can’t find the right player, I would rather we signed nobody rather than another Diony or Engvall.

You say Wells and Martin won’t get ten between them but the mentality that we had to sign a striker, even if they weren’t the right for the team, is exactly why we signed Wells in the first place.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I doubt Pearson has much if anything to spend in January anyway so I wouldn’t worry. 

25 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Tbf, nigel asked for a striker 6 months ago.

He was rebuffed.

I fully expect to see 1.

Did he?

I remember him saying in one interview that he was happy with the strikers he has.

Now that Semenyo has scored again - he could start to bag goals on a regular basis and that would solve the issue.

One thing is for sure tho - Nige will need to offload before any incomings - and that’s assuming Nige will want to utilise the winter window and I’m not convinced that he will. We all know that January is not the best for any deals.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Probe is the wrong striker could be foolish too. 

If we can find a striker who can improve the team, we can afford him and he wants to come then brilliant. 

But if we can’t find the right player, I would rather we signed nobody rather than another Diony or Engvall.

You say Wells and Martin won’t get ten between them but the mentality that we had to sign a striker, even if they weren’t the right for the team, is exactly why we signed Wells in the first place.

The interesting thing is that in recent games, Scott, O’Dowda, James and Bakinson have scored…are we finally gonna see a better contribution from midfield.  I think some of this is linked to us playing a bit better and able to get players into shooting positions.

I think we do need a forward, but I’m not convinced the right one will be available in January…and like Weimann filled the void early season, Semenyo might take on some of that going forward.

Think there will be lots of rumours starting in the next week or so.

• Like 3

I think we will only see a couple incoming if there are a couple outgoing.

I also think talk of a striker is wide of the mark, strikers are the most expensive position to fill (and we don't have money) and I've seen it on this forum for the last 2 years - we could have Messi up front and would struggle. Why bother spending all that money for little impact.

I would prefer we found another midfielder as good Williams without the injury record - but if that's not available then don't bother.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Perhaps a better idea would be to move out palmer dasilva and wells, that would free up a fortune to bring a loan striker in.

the alternative is to sell on the family silver,, alex scott in this case,,, if we could get 8 million or so should we take it? The answer is that the club would definitely take it I suppose 

I’m sure the club will bite any clubs hands off that offer reasonable money for them.  The difficulty will be in getting those reasonable offers and the wages offered being agreeable to the players themselves. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Perhaps a better idea would be to move out palmer dasilva and wells, that would free up a fortune to bring a loan striker in.

the alternative is to sell on the family silver,, alex scott in this case,,, if we could get 8 million or so should we take it? The answer is that the club would definitely take it I suppose 

It definitely doesn’t feel like the right time to be doing that, unless we’re absolutely desperate. 

Posted something similar in the ridiculously titled “Pearson & Fleming out” thread.

We are on course for 54/55 points, Derby & Barnsley (2 wins in 22) look down already, so unless we can see a player we want at a price we can afford, there is very little sense in us making signings, certainly no more than one.

Loans that cannot be made permanent also make no sense, far better to persevere with the likes of Semenyo, Scott, Conway & Benarous than give some Prem kid games just to benefit someone else.

Mind you I said in the summer that we wouldn’t be replacing the same number as left (13 out, 5 in) & got told I was wrong.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

One of the most uninspiring seasons in recent times, we just have to get through it until the summer unfortunately. Like many of said, there’s no point bringing in more short team fixes unless some long term options become available… 

However in January, I doubt that’s going to be the case.

• Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I think you wildly underestimate how difficult it is to ‘move out’ such players - especially if they’re high earners. If we shift 1 of the 3 we’ve done well.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did he?

I remember him saying in one interview that he was happy with the strikers he has.

Now that Semenyo has scored again - he could start to bag goals on a regular basis and that would solve the issue.

One thing is for sure tho - Nige will need to offload before any incomings - and that’s assuming Nige will want to utilise the winter window and I’m not convinced that he will. We all know that January is not the best for any deals.

Yes.

His summer update said that he wanted 5 players, 2 centre halves, 2 midfield players & “someone to stick the ball in the back of the net”.

Those were his exact words & it was on the official site, too.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are 1, max 2 injuries away from a major crisis (again). Relegation is a very realistic outcome in that circumstance. 

A striker is an absolute must.

Dependent on how Nige wants us to set up, wide men also required. A solid central midfielder wouldn’t go amiss either.

Don't count on any of the injury-prone players becoming regulars.  Our players once broken, appear to remain broke or, at least, easily damaged. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The interesting thing is that in recent games, Scott, O’Dowda, James and Bakinson have scored…are we finally gonna see a better contribution from midfield.  I think some of this is linked to us playing a bit better and able to get players into shooting positions.

I think we do need a forward, but I’m not convinced the right one will be available in January…and like Weimann filled the void early season, Semenyo might take on some of that going forward.

Think there will be lots of rumours starting in the next week or so.

Yep, that’s whatI think Nige was referring to recently when mentioning “more goals”. He didn’t mention bringing in an extra striker this window.

James made a huge difference at Hull and with Williams not too far away the midfield will look very different to what we’ve seen thus far and that will make an impact on performances and results.

• Hmmm 1

Didn't Nige say back in August that he didn't expect to do much, if any, business in January? I remember him saying he was happy with the squad he had for the season. Obviously managers often trot this out without really meaning it but I don't think Nige does. 

There was talk from Gould about the need to bring plans forward but that was when we looked in danger of slipping into a relegation fight. Things have steadied so it would seem sensible to go back to Plan A. 

54 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes, he did want one robbo.

Hence why wells has been surplus to requirements all season.

Does he seem happy with him.

We cant gamble on semenyo, going on a goal spree.

Possible incoming a striker & a right winger - at least one will be a loan with buy option at end of season.

Injuries are always possible & if our strikers are hit we could be left relying on Semenyo - not a great idea!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How often does that happen during the winter window?

Very often? We’ve historically made several significant signings in that window.

You’ll like this, but the biggest example I can think of in recent-ish history is signing Dele Adebola in 07/08. A good player in his own right, but not quite what we needed. Hull got Frazier Campbell and went up.  

• Like 1
  • Flames 1