IGNORED

Jethro RIP

exAtyeoMax

I spent quite a bit of time in Bristol Children's Hospital as a child. I remember a nurse telling me and my Mum that Jethro had been there quite a bit not long before - he had a family member, possibly a son who'd been in hospital - and was the absolute loveliest man anyone could possibly meet. Some of his jokes haven't stood the test of time but he was exceptionally funny. Still a massive of his joke about resolving a dispute with a neighbour by suggesting a competition where each of them take turns to kick each other in the b******* until one gives in and then - when his neighbour agrees - giving a good hard kick and then telling him he's won. I'm probably telling that terribly but Jethro did tell jokes in a way that was exceptionally funny. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Could be a nightmare to get into his club in Lewdown, no jeans, no trainers sometimes a tie needed many peoples (usually blokes) night out ruined and spent sitting in the coach in the car park!

A great night out once inside!!

RIP

Had a great night there many years ago. Very intimate, as he came among the tables telling stories you felt that he was talking to you personally. Was fortunate to win a prize in the raffle to raise funds for the children's scanner. "Where you from then?" "Bristol." "Bristol??? That's twinned with Beirut, isn't it?"

RIP Jethro, thanks for the laughs.

Sad to learn of this. Our family were big fans for many years and we had a big stack of videos/DVDs to amuse us. Went to see him down the Hippodrome on a few occasions and I last saw him playing in Salisbury year 1 B.C. (Before Covid). He was walking among the crowd and taking selfies with everyone before and after the show; he really was a very down-to-earth person and disliked all that show biz flummery. Although he did confuse a few gags that night (he mentioned his memory was not as good) it was a merry evening and everyone loved his special way. Sad that he didn't have a chance to carry on his tour when the lockdown happened, as it turned out to be his last nights. Often said he would announce his retirement and play his final appearance at the Hippodrome (mind you, that often changed according to where he was at the time!). Not to be, regrettably.

As a young man he played for Newquay and Penzance rugby club. He also owned a stable as well as a night club, which were his great passions - a proper countryman.

I'll leave with one gag that springs to mind (although there are hundreds I could choose from):

I went to a flower shop; behind the desk was a woman. I said 'I'd like a bunch of a dozen roses.' She looked at me and said 'I'm sorry, sir, I think you are under a misapprehension. This isn't a florist's, this is the sexually transmitted disease clinic.'

I said 'But you've got loads of flowers in the window!'

She said, What do you suggest we put in the window?'

R.I.P. Jethro

Chriiiist

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Could be a nightmare to get into his club in Lewdown, no jeans, no trainers sometimes a tie needed many peoples (usually blokes) night out ruined and spent sitting in the coach in the car park!

A great night out once inside!!

RIP

I live just up the road and it`s up for sale now (has been for a while) as a `development opportunity` so more houses no doubt. It needs something doing though as it is a real eyesore these days.