IGNORED

Not going Saturday

CyderInACan

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I’ve decided that it’s too close to Christmas to  risk going on Saturday and potentially ruin our normal family Christmas. Having had Covid in late September/early October I’m not really prepared to take the risk of a double whammy on my body in such a short period of time. 

Will watch on RobinsTV and certainly hope for a home win. 

I can’t be the only one thinking that attending on Saturday is a potential fool’s errand?

up until reading this Reg I was going, but it seems that watching the BBC, I may not be ! How many more strains have we have to put up with until the Beeb softens their approach. See you on my 80th birthday at the Gate in 9 years time ?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BcfcAllen said:

Is the game available on Robins TV for all or just those outside the UK like it used to be? That would certainly make the decision a little easier.

Just for outside the UK as it’s a Saturday 3pm game. VPN Airways should sort you out though. 

Edited by CyderInACan

3 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

It does make you wonder how long all this is going to go on for, will there be a scramble for boosters every winter for eternity?

Probably, but it's not that more onerous than rolling out flu jabs plus, as the latest variant appears to show, viruses really love spreading but hate harming hosts. Like flu it'll largely sit in the background doing minor damage only to pop up every few decades in a more serious form.

Positive to take from Covid is the investment made in sequencing, development, testing & deployment means science is already guessing where the virus goes next such, has already undertaken preparation in that respect, with response times for new vaccines very quick. Pity Science cannot help with idiots who refuse to take them.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

It does make you wonder how long all this is going to go on for, will there be a scramble for boosters every winter for eternity?

Well considering the 1918 Spanish flu never really went away and we just live with seasonal flu now I'm going to go with a very very long time, probably exceeding everyone's current lifetimes.

• Like 3

The idea of queuing in numbers of hundreds in 14 separate lines all close together to show a steward a covid passport seems ridiculous. 
Not BCFC fault I understand but this will increase the risk of catching it. 
Common sense needed, if you want to reduce risk of not getting covid19 for Xmas then stay away Saturday if you’re pretty relaxed about it then go along. 
One thing covid19 has taught me is that I have spent way to much time at Ashton Gate since 1989 and the last two years I haven’t missed games like this before and I don’t miss it . Why that is I don’t know, covid19 or just no connection with the club anymore or the fact I prefer to watch my kids play than city. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Unless we lower the "draw bridge back down" and vaccinate the whole world then yes this could go on for years.

Well until it mutates in a much more deadly version and kills millions in days anyway.

Very mixed feelings!

At the moment I’m going after missing a few due to being hospitalised 

it feels a bit strange as my illness was not Covid related other than the fact that it was entirely due to the cowardly family doctor refusing to offer face to face treatment and thus misdiagnosing (not diagnosing at all) my condition - at any other time it would have been considered criminal negligence! Wish I could get paid £600+ a day and get away with doing F-all!

So my thinking is Bugger it - at 71 what else can go wrong?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 3

4 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Very mixed feelings!

At the moment I’m going after missing a few due to being hospitalised 

it feels a bit strange as my illness was not Covid related other than the fact that it was entirely due to the cowardly family doctor refusing to offer face to face treatment and thus misdiagnosing (not diagnosing at all) my condition - at any other time it would have been considered criminal negligence! Wish I could get paid £600+ a day and get away with doing F-all!

So my thinking is Bugger it - at 71 what else can go wrong?

600 a day! Blimey.

Pal of mine qualified last year and he only gets about 32k a year. He is struggling with about 100k of debt as a result of his studies.

• Like 1

I’m going to have amended Saturday afternoon. I’m not really worried about attending the match as only those queuing to get in will have a covid pass and it will be outdoors. Watching the match will also obviously be outdoors. The main risk will be in the concourse so I’ll wiz through that as quickly as possible wearing a mask. The thing I won’t do is go to the pub afterwards. That would involve spending time indoors in a maskless  crowd 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m going to have amended Saturday afternoon. I’m not really worried about attending the match as only those queuing to get in will have a covid pass and it will be outdoors. Watching the match will also obviously be outdoors. The main risk will be in the concourse so I’ll wiz through that as quickly as possible wearing a mask. The thing I won’t do is go to the pub afterwards. That would involve spending time indoors in a maskless  crowd 

Unless I'm mistaken the Covid pass being used still only requires you to be double jabbed. Which renders it fairly pointless, as two jabs gives you very little protection against the Omicron. Worth considering.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Unless we lower the "draw bridge back down" and vaccinate the whole world then yes this could go on for years.

Well until it mutates in a much more deadly version and kills millions in days anyway.

Any virus that 'kills millions in days' wouldn't last more than a few hours and for good reason. There are plenty of high morbidity viruses floating around the tropics (this week there's an outbreak in South Sudan,) and we don't worry about those as they kill before they can spread.

At some stage there will be another highly transmissible, mildly dangerous virus doing the rounds , but lest not forget there are tens of millions more folks now on this planet than when Covid first appeared. WHO reckoned morbidity of Covid at 1 - 1.5% of those infected yet we've seen nowhere near that death rate (directly it's probably nearer 0.2%, the worry being indirect deaths are likely to arise over the next few years.)

Covid has focussed thoughts on the subject we spend our lives ignoring, our own mortality. To paraphrase Hank Williams 'You'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive...' and should you get Covid, like Eddie Large, it probably won't have been that which did for you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Unless I'm mistaken the Covid pass being used still only requires you to be double jabbed. Which renders it fairly pointless, as two jabs gives you very little protection against the Omicron. Worth considering.

It’s true that only two jabs gives a reduced protection, but it’s more than “very little protection”. Another factor is being outdoors as this reduces the risk as fresh air disperses and dilutes the virus. Being outdoors with other two / three jabbed people is bound to involve a risk of some sort but it’s a reduced risk compared to some other environments. Every day people do things that involve risk. Luckily most of the risks are extremely low, but every day people decide to accept or reject the risks. It’s the same with covid. Different people have different circumstances and different reasons for accepting or rejecting the covid risks 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s true that only two jabs gives a reduced protection, but it’s more than “very little protection”. Another factor is being outdoors as this reduces the risk as fresh air disperses and dilutes the virus. Being outdoors with other two / three jabbed people is bound to involve a risk of some sort but it’s a reduced risk compared to some other environments. Every day people do things that involve risk. Luckily most of the risks are extremely low, but every day people decide to accept or reject the risks. It’s the same with covid. Different people have different circumstances and different reasons for accepting or rejecting the covid risks 

Not planning to get into a debate on this, but I'm a Clinical Lead running 12 hr sessions at various locations and I can promise you this is true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wasn’t going to attend as I don’t agree with the covid pass. 
But now that it seems thousands won’t be going, does this mean the attendance will be less than 10,000 meaning they don’t need to apply the covid pass rules? 

If so, I’ll be in going. 
?

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wasn’t going to attend as I don’t agree with the covid pass. 
But now that it seems thousands won’t be going, does this mean the attendance will be less than 10,000 meaning they don’t need to apply the covid pass rules? 

If so, I’ll be in going. 
?

I assume the there is a potential for more than 10k so the COVID pass will still be required even if only 2k turn up (not that I'm trying to predict how many will turn up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I assume the there is a potential for more than 10k so the COVID pass will still be required even if only 2k turn up (not that I'm trying to predict how many will turn up.

That’s a shame. I’d have gone otherwise 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1