IGNORED

Not going Saturday

CyderInACan

I’ll be going.I don’t believe any of the rubbish fed to us  by the scaremongering government and scientists.I’ve been triple jabbed and had covid 3 weeks ago and it was just like having a cold.We live with flue with a vaccination every year and we treat covid the same way.The symptoms are so mild that you won’t know you’ve got it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

I’ll be going.I don’t believe any of the rubbish fed to us  by the scaremongering government and scientists.I’ve been triple jabbed and had covid 3 weeks ago and it was just like having a cold.We live with flue with a vaccination every year and we treat covid the same way.The symptoms are so mild that you won’t know you’ve got it.

And without mentioning anything too specific, I gather you are well into your 70’s and have previously suffered a serious condition. 

And this is the thing. Survival rates are incredibly high with this virus. Even if you are old and you get it, your chances of coming through totally unscathed are incredibly high. And even higher if you don’t have any other serious co-morbidities. 

I can completely understand if people don’t want to risk catching this virus because they are at high risk themselves due to age/health, or if they are due to visit anyone at Christmas who is at high risk. 
But if anyone isn’t going because they simply don’t want to catch it and have been put off by government and media fear - well, guess what. It’s a virus that is widespread in the population. We’re all gonna get it in the end. And unless you are in one of those incredibly high risk categories, you will be one of the unluckiest people in the world if it kills you. 

Get down there and support your team. They might close it down altogether soon!!! If you’re worried about visiting highly vulnerable people in the next 10 days, then make your fair and reasoned risk assessment. If not, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t attend. 
I would. Although I’m not ?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

You were lucky with your mild symptoms, others have not been so lucky, it's a bit like Russian roulette you never know when the bullet is going to kill you, maybe your triple jab saved you from any real harm, apparently Jethro was triple jabbed it didn't save him though did it. 

Edited by pillred
punctuation

6 hours ago, reddoc said:

Unless I'm mistaken the Covid pass being used still only requires you to be double jabbed. Which renders it fairly pointless, as two jabs gives you very little protection against the Omicron. Worth considering.

At least it gives SOME protection, and a lot of those people if double jabbed have the desire to protect themselves and others and most likely a lot of them will have had the booster, at least it will stop those with absolutely no jabs from being sat next to you and if they haven't been jabbed at least they will have to provide a negative test prior to entry although I realise this is open to being abused.

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

At least it gives SOME protection, and a lot of those people if double jabbed have the desire to protect themselves and others and most likely a lot of them will have had the booster, at least it will stop those with absolutely no jabs from being sat next to you and if they haven't been jabbed at least they will have to provide a negative test prior to entry although I realise this is open to being abused.

You’ve got to say it, anyone who falsifies a negative test just to go to the football is a special type of vermin. 

• Like 18

45 minutes ago, pillred said:

You were lucky with your mild symptoms, others have not been so lucky, it's a bit like Russian roulette you never know when the bullet is going to kill you, maybe your triple jab saved you from any real harm, apparently Jethro was triple jabbed it didn't save him though did it. 

Russian roulette is a great description.

My 11 year old nephew got covid and was really ill, spending several nights in hospital. He is much better now but it left him with type 1 diabetes.

He had no underlying health issues and was as fit as the proverbial butchers dog.

You never know.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

Bravo!  There are many hundreds of thousands who'd rise to echo your sentiments, that it's only 'like having a cold' and talk of anything worse is 'scaremongering'.

Sadly, as they've been rendered dust or are now pushing up the daisies we'll have to take your informed word for it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I've gone back and forth but I've finally decided to give it a miss on Saturday. After missing out on a family Christmas last year (they all live in Melksham) I'm not going to risk it this time around. I'm so looking forward to spending Christmas with my sister, niece's, nephews and great niece's and nephews. I need to visit my father and mother's grave too with its new headstone after we lost mum to this feckin virus last December. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

I had Covid six weeks ago whilst double vaccinated, I'm a reasonably fit & healthy guy and was really rough and had 3 weeks off of work and was nowhere ready to go back to work after ten days and was later told that I have long Covid which can take months before you get back to normal. I've since had my booster and was pretty rough with that as well.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I’ve decided that it’s too close to Christmas to  risk going on Saturday and potentially ruin our normal family Christmas. Having had Covid in late September/early October I’m not really prepared to take the risk of a double whammy on my body in such a short period of time. 

Will watch on RobinsTV and certainly hope for a home win. 

I can’t be the only one thinking that attending on Saturday is a potential fool’s errand?

Fair play to you. My family and I are basically isolating as best we can between now and December 25th, not because we’re particularly concerned about getting the virus, but rather the potential for it to ruin our Christmas plans.

• Like 4

I cannot believe the crass refusal of so many on Otib, too many, who are so quick to dismiss the advice of the scientists in this field.

What makes them think they know better from their own position of complete ignorance

It is at times like this that I despair of some of my fellow Bristolians

• Like 19

12 hours ago, westonred said:

I havent been all season, the reason, i had cancer surgery recently and currently i am on a 6 month course of Chemotherapy so my immune sytem is at an all time low so it would be crazy to go to the games. I have a season ticket but havent used it but flying VPN airways i have watched every game this seaon although it's not the same as meeting up with mates watching the games live. When everyone was moaning a few games ago i was saying to myself yes we are playing badky but i would still love to be inside the ground supporting the team i love.

Hopefully i will get to a game before the end of this season COYR

Best wishes on full & speedy recovery 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It is at times like this that I despair of some of my fellow Bristolians

I have drawn a wider conclusion over the last 2 years (though I already suspected): that as a nation, including many if not most politicians, we are close to being functionally innumerate.

People (including many otherwise very clever people) often seem amused if they are not good at maths but as we can now see that has real world consequences.

• Like 2

Since reading this thread, myself and my mate have also decided we won't be bothering. With a pregnant mrs at home and the risk of having to isolate over Christmas and not see family, it's really not worth it.

Especially when I can watch it online after a short virtual flight to France! ✈️

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pands said:

Since reading this thread, myself and my mate have also decided we won't be bothering. With a pregnant mrs at home and the risk of having to isolate over Christmas and not see family, it's really not worth it.

Especially when I can watch it online after a short virtual flight to France! ✈️

Sorry, France has banned virtual flights from the UK.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

Complete fool, my mother died from it and my cousin a anti vaxer also got it and died in a few days; maybe you should work in a covid ward if you think you are a superman....and you with such a great name for a poster as well rooster teeth ugh GIF by Achievement Hunter

6 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

Apart from all of the dead people of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I had Covid six weeks ago whilst double vaccinated, I'm a reasonably fit & healthy guy 

Yup. I hear this. I tested positive, despite being double jabbed, just a few days after running the half marathon at the end of September. 

i can assure anyone reading this that it was in no way enjoyable and for those lucky enough to brush it off as a minor inconvenience, well, fair play you did well. I know people that are still pretty fkuced months after having it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yup. I hear this. I tested positive, despite being double jabbed, just a few days after running the half marathon at the end of September. 

i can assure anyone reading this that it was in no way enjoyable and for those lucky enough to brush it off as a minor inconvenience, well, fair play you did well. I know people that are still pretty fkuced months after having it. 

To echo these comments recall the first friend I had who died from Covid. Fitter than the most of you combined. Least likely bloke I know who'd die.

But he did, very early doors, from Covid acquired before you'd ever heard the word. He died as a result of the 'minor' infection he contracted from his partner, who contracted the infection from ski lodges long before Britain had cottoned on to the virus. He was fine post illness, minor inconvenience, until his heart gave out that is. A heart at autopsy that resembled one that had previously suffered heard attacks. The heart of an old man. Save he wasn't. He was super fit, fitter than most of you will ever be. Years younger than I. A life to be lived. Until, that is, it (& he) wasn't. Out running he died. He wasn't expecting that. His friends weren't expecting that. Covid didn't care.

So if you get Covid and dismiss it out of hand, well, I hope you aren't in for a shock,  but you might be. Not you'll know until the dying. No pockets in shrouds, no smugness in knowing somebody called it wrong.  Just as it is.....

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, CyderInACan said:

Really sorry for your loss and obviously very much more so for your friend’s family. RIP. 

It was bloody tragic. He was buried on the day he should have married his partner.

There's sod all he might have done given it was early doors, much like my mega fit nephew ( commercial pilot,) who returned from flights from Shanghai late 2019 and, though never seriously unwell, was confined to his pit unable to move for days. He thought it mega flu. Weeks later they mentioned Covid, though family in contact suffered various symptoms later identified as being signs of Covid.

I met him a few weeks ago and he's angry. Very angry. He continues to fly to China, he showed me the photos of how he's treated when there. And for those of you who've seen the Hollywood disaster movies HAZMAT suits all round, zero contact, confined to hotel rooms (cells,) fed through a hatch. Yep, that's what he's been living these past two years.

Beyond the confines of the airport he neither knows nor cares. His photos paint a thousand words, yet that's what the Chinese still think appropriate. Yet pillocks over here complain of infringement.

5 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

hate to think how his partner feels knowing he contracted it from her, hopefully nowhere near as bad as anyone now who passes it on to a loved one from going somewhere which could have been avoided fully aware of possible consequences

Not an issue as it was so early doors nobody had ever heard of Covid when she (and he,) contracted it. She's very vocal as she's one of the first identified cases of long Covid and it's ****ed her life beyond that of losing a partner. (She's also lost her health, career and pretty much everything.)

• Like 1