IGNORED

Not going Saturday

CyderInACan

I`ve reluctantly decided to give it a miss. both I and Mrs LR have manic weeks at work next week and neither of us can afford to not go in. We`re not having anyone round for Christmas nor are we visiting so having to stay in wouldn`t be a major concern but neither of us wants to risk being laid up ill for the few days that we both get off together.

I just wish the decision had been made for me. It`s all very well being told that we should `prioritise` the things we do but that doesn`t take account the psyche of football fans. It`s not like going to the cinema or the pub or going out for a meal for most of us - it`s so ingrained that it is a major wrench to not go. I`m sure most of us have gone to ridiculous lengths to watch City over the years - I know I have. We`ve all hauled ourselves out of our sick beds sometimes just to go.

I`ve driven from Derby down to AG and back in a blizzard to watch an LDV game FFS!

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

It would have been much better if the EFL had got a grip and decided to implement a winter break over Christmas and New Year. 

We now have supporters not attending and clubs being directed to play if they have 14 fit players including a keeper - that ensures a level playing field doesn't it. Not.

I understand that it would produce a fixture pile up (postponing games has the same effect), but extending the season by a month is a small price to pay.

Its not too late to implement.

• Like 3

I’ve reluctantly decided that I will be attending. 
I was keen to stay at home due to my moral standpoint on covid passes, but my daughter has been desperate to come to this game and she has made me cave in. 
Everything I do, I do for my kids, so now that she wants to go, I’ve had to reluctantly agree. 
Ah well, so much for my one-man protest ? Best get that NHS app open. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Robin 1

For those of us choosing not to / unable to attend tomorrow for whatever personal reasons they see fit, is there a way we can still watch the game online / on TV? Preferably without having to take a virtual flight around Europe but failing that, what are the options (never used a VPN before)?

As others have alluded to, it’s never an easy decision to choose to not attend a game that we otherwise would have been at (even if the quality of the football over recent seasons has tried it’s best to push people away) so it would be great to still cheer the boys on even if only from the living room.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was keen to stay at home due to my moral standpoint on covid passes, but my daughter has been desperate to come to this game and she has made me cave in. 
Everything I do, I do for my kids, so now that she wants to go, I’ve had to reluctantly agree. 

This made me smile. Cheers to being a father. ? 

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It would have been much better if the EFL had got a grip and decided to implement a winter break over Christmas and New Year. 

We now have supporters not attending and clubs being directed to play if they have 14 fit players including a keeper - that ensures a level playing field doesn't it. Not.

I understand that it would produce a fixture pile up (postponing games has the same effect), but extending the season by a month is a small price to pay.

How would you extend the season by a month though? 
There’s an international window in June, you’d potentially have the most important games of the season being played without key players. 

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ill add man of strong principles to the list

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Ill add man of strong principles to the list

Oh how quaint. You’re keeping a list of my characteristics. 
Fancy yourself as some sort of psychoanalyst? 
Strikes me as just a little bit ‘stalker-ish’ to be fair. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Oh how quaint. You’re keeping a list of my characteristics. 
Fancy yourself as some sort of psychoanalyst? 
Strikes me as just a little bit ‘stalker-ish’ to be fair. 

Its hard not to notice, saying as how Verbose you are. You write essay upon essay about not going to the game out of moral principle. Big red line. Blah blah. Doing it for the kids. Blah Blah.

All gone out the window now. Principles my arse. Absolutely full of shite ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its hard not to notice, saying as how Verbose you are. You write essay upon essay about not going to the game out of moral principle. Big red line. Blah blah. Doing it for the kids. Blah Blah.

All gone out the window now. Principles my arse. Absolutely full of shite ?

Yep. I’m doing it for the kids. Going against my principles. It’s what a loving parent does. 
You’re quite a nasty piece of work aren’t you. I’m so glad I don’t know you personally. I think I’d be sick at the sight of you. Brrrrrrrr

Edited by Harry
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. I’m doing it for the kids. Going against my principles. It’s what a loving parent does. 
You’re quite a nasty piece of work aren’t you. I’m so glad I don’t know you personally. I think I’d be sick at the sight of you. Brrrrrrrr

Not really sure what response you expected, Harry. You spent the last week arguing your case quite passionately, and now done a complete 180. 

I try to teach my kids that I follow through with my strongly held principles. 

Edited by Colombo Robin
  • Like 3

Remarkable number of people on this thread understandably choosing not to attend tomorrow - more than 50% I’d say. Only anecdotal evidence of course, and I tend to think of regular OTIBers as a bit more sensible and considered than your average City fan (mostly!), but it will be very interesting to see what the attendance is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Remarkable number of people on this thread understandably choosing not to attend tomorrow - more than 50% I’d say. Only anecdotal evidence of course, and I tend to think of regular OTIBers as a bit more sensible and considered than your average City fan (mostly!), but it will be very interesting to see what the attendance is.

I would think it would be at least 14k to cover the ST sold and any POTD sold.

How many will actually be there is another matter..

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Where did I tell you what to do?

You've shown your cards, made your point (badly,) and will continue your existence, albeit one apparently devoid of intellectual or emotional empathy.

Get down from that high horse of yours, it doesn’t suit.

This is precisely why I don’t venture in threads like these, it’s political and it’s full of high horse virgins like yourself.

Tada.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Trouble is extending the season causes an issue for next season with The World Cup in November.

4 hours ago, VT05763 said:

It is not the deaths !!!!

The hospitals will be full and overflowing with COVID patients, most will recover but they will clog up the system for as you say  -

cancer, pneumonia, heart attacks, kidney failure, brain tumours, car accidents, site accidents, shark attacks…

Truly astounding the amount of people who do not understand this.

It’s a valid point which I understand (makes a change from memes eh!).

But there are talks on here, out there etc of shutting things down again. How far do you go with it? Are we going to have the same discussions every winter?

Edited by Lew-T

32 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Not really sure what response you expected, Harry. You spent the last week arguing your case quite passionately, and now done a complete 180. 

I try to teach my kids that I follow through with my strongly held principles. 

I expected EXACTLY that response from certain posters. Which is exactly why I posted this. 
I could easily have just attended the game and not announced it to all of you wonderful folks on here, but I thought I’d announce it as I knew you’d all find it intriguing and react exactly as was anticipated. 
Thanks for being predictable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VT05763 said:

The hospitals will be full and overflowing with COVID patients, most will recover but they will clog up the system for as you say  -

cancer, pneumonia, heart attacks, kidney failure, brain tumours, car accidents, site accidents, shark attacks…

Also, today it's been announced a third of London's fire engines were out of action this week due to Covid

If you continue to let this run wild, there are massive knock on effects.

Its ok to say "just live with it" but that greatly ignores the fact that letting 100k poeple a day catch covid is potentially millions of people off sick at any one time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And there we have it.

He is now both Kylie AND Robbie.

Does this mean you'll need to show vaccination status for both?

I’d likely lose the testing stick up Kylie’s wotsit, and Robbie would likely sniff it so far up his nose we won’t see the result until he excretes it in a couple of days. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

What a waste of time all that harping about morals and anti vaccine passport then ?

As with most things, people have morals until it's down to them to make a difficult decision

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I would think it would be at least 14k to cover the ST sold and any POTD sold.

How many will actually be there is another matter..

I haven’t looked it up lately but there was time when we’d get the attendance, which included every season ticket wether they were there or not. Then later on you could find out exactly how many were in the ground.

one match in particular, may have been Sheffield Wednesday, the snow in the south west was so bad myself and thousands of others couldn’t get there. The difference in the 2 attendances given was over 5k if I remember correctly.

If many more pull out I’ll be able to do a count during the game and let you know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Edited by AppyDAZE

Just now, ralphindevon said:

I haven’t looked it up lately but there was time when we’d get the attendance, which included every season ticket wether they were there or not. Then later on you could find out exactly how many were in the ground.

one match in particular, may have been Sheffield Wednesday, the snow in the south west was so bad myself and thousands of others couldn’t get there. The difference in the 2 attendances given was over 5k if I remember correctly.

If many more pull out I’ll be able to do a count during the game and let you know.

Spoke to Jerry (SLO) earlier and he wonders how many will actually turn up tomorrow - we were taking about fans not the players btw ?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d likely lose the testing stick up Kylie’s wotsit, and Robbie would likely sniff it so far up his nose we won’t see the result until he excretes it in a couple of days. 

I'll go and get it back for you, if you want..?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

I expected EXACTLY that response from certain posters. Which is exactly why I posted this. 
I could easily have just attended the game and not announced it to all of you wonderful folks on here, but I thought I’d announce it as I knew you’d all find it intriguing and react exactly as was anticipated. 
Thanks for being predictable. 

Enjoy the match

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Spoke to Jerry (SLO) earlier and he wonders how many will actually turn up tomorrow - we were taking about fans not the players btw ?

It’ll be annoying if less than 10,000 are there and we’ve all had to queue up to show our vaccine passport. 
I can’t see there being many more than that. Years ago this was always called black Saturday for football clubs, this is a shade or two darker than black

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What a waste of time all that harping about morals and anti vaccine passport then ?

As with most things, people have morals until it's down to them to make a difficult decision

Don’t join the nasty gang Mark. ?

There are some rather putrid posters on here, you’ve certainly not been one of them before. Don’t be swayed into their cult. ?

2 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Enjoy the match

Oh, I highly doubt that. Have you seen us lately ?

• Haha 1