IGNORED

Not going Saturday

CyderInACan

12 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I think it worth mentioning that,  whilst I renewed my season ticket in the summer, I haven't yet been to a single City game this season. Reason being I fear infecting seriously ill elderly relatives.

So to be clear, I haven't attended a single football match since March 2020. Anyone else spunking away £350+ this year, or is it just me? 

Pretty much the same here. Been to 2 matches earlier in the season when I knew I wasn’t mixing with friends and family for the week after. Will probably do the same next season as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Hi mate. 
Regarding the 3rd vaccine. You’ve mentioned that the new variant is resistant to the first 2 shots. 
Now, I will hold my hands up and say I don’t know the ins and outs about how these things work, but from what I read, the first 2 vaccines were specifically designed to be able to attack the spike protein, also known as the S-Gene. 
With the new variant, they are confirming on the testing that you are positive for it if the test has S-Gene dropout. Basically meaning that the test hasn’t picked up evidence of the Spike Protein but only the other two primers, and that’s what makes it different to testing positive for the Delta variant. 
As far as I am aware, the 3rd vaccine contains exactly the same code as the previous 2, and is therefore designed to attack the S-Gene. 

So, given that a positive test for Omicron means there is no S-Gene and that the 3rd vaccine is designed to attack the S-Gene, how does the 3rd vaccine protect against omicron which doesn’t show the S-Gene it is supposed to attack? If there is no S-Gene to attack, what will it do instead?  

I’m sure there’s a a very good science behind it that I don’t really understand, so it would be good to get comment from anyone on here who knows more about this stuff than myself. Certainly RedRobbo usually has his finger on the trigger with this stuff. 

*note - This isn’t an anti-vax post. This is a genuine question over how the 3rd shot will work against the new variant when it’s stated that the first and second don’t. 

I’m no expert but from what I have read the 3rd vaccine is effective at getting a part of the immune system called t-cells going. The vaccine was designed to trigger an antibody response that looks for the spike protein. The t-cells are more generic and look for the general pattern of the virus which is why they can still find it. They take a bit longer to work though but once your immune system is triggered by the t-cells it will produce more to fight the infection. Just not as quickly as the antibodies.

Thats my very limited understanding- the booster produces a different immune response. I’m willing to be corrected though if I’ve got it all wrong. 

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

I expect there's lots of older people who would be interested in training to be a nurse or something else in the NHS but can't afford to quit their full time job and take out loans and grants for 3-4 years. There has to be an easier way to make it viable for the average person. 

my best friends mum was a nurse, had time off to have her kids, now they’re grown up you need a degree to be a nurse, as she had too much time off she no longer counts as qualified and she can’t afford to spend 3 years at university training to become one, it’s so gutting for her she loved that job and she was a great nurse but it’s just not feasible. I’m sure there’s plenty more like her too. 

• Like 2

I'm really torn here. I don't ever get put off by scaremongering and have always had the attitude of "it happens it happens".

but if I'm honest, I'm getting cold feet about going. trouble is i have a young Son who keeps asking "Aren't we going? Aren't we going?"

Then there is the habitual side of me that has to go.

FFS why can't the EPL and Football League stop being so pig headed and postpone games over the Christmas period?

This decision making should be taken out of our hands. All this prioritising by Chris Whitty is nonsense

51 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Pretty much the same here. Been to 2 matches earlier in the season when I knew I wasn’t mixing with friends and family for the week after. Will probably do the same next season as well.

Same here, going today but only been to B'mouth game. Suffering with Vertigo since late July which has affected my hearing and with a lot of noise it drives my hearing mad. Hoping for a quiet game. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1

I’m not going as I have Covid at the moment. 
I’m double jabbed, ironically was supposed to be boostered last Saturday but was away so had to cancel and went down with symptoms on Sunday. 
I wear a mask when in shops and other places, can’t walk past a sanitiser station without having a squirt. 

Thankfully I come out of Isolation on Wednesday so fingers crossed will be able to have a Christmas. Unless my wife who is shattered now running round after me gets some rest. She has banished me to the bedroom, which has a en-suite so not allowed out, so the rest of the household don’t have to worry about contracting it. 
To all the ones going today, be careful, enjoy yourself and hopefully you don’t take any unexpected guest in your bodies. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

I'm really torn here. I don't ever get put off by scaremongering and have always had the attitude of "it happens it happens".

but if I'm honest, I'm getting cold feet about going. trouble is i have a young Son who keeps asking "Aren't we going? Aren't we going?"

FFS why can't the EPL and Football League stop being so pig headed and postpone games over the Christmas period?

This decision making should be taken out of our hands. All this prioritising by Chris Whitty is nonsense

Play behind closed doors and make it available to season card holders on the TV would be a better option then there would not be such a fixture backlog.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Play behind closed doors and make it available to season card holders on the TV would be a better option then there would not be such a fixture backlog.

Pretty sure that’s where we are going to be again fairly soon.

I’m going today, I’m triple jabbed, no health issues that I’m aware of & thinking it might be the last game in front of a crowd for a while.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure that’s where we are going to be again fairly soon.

I’m going today, I’m triple jabbed, no health issues that I’m aware of & thinking it might be the last game in front of a crowd for a while.

They said there were 18k at the last game but it looked more like 14k to me.  Being the last Saturday before Christmas and the Omicron scare, I wonder how many will actually be inside the ground today.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

I’ve already made my decision and decided one football match isn’t worth the possibility of messing up Christmas for, but I can certainly see your problem.

Got to say your last sentence proves the no-win situation the authorities are is, as they are damned if they do, or damned if they don’t!

Last year they were hammered for locking down and were accused of ‘cancelling Christmas’.  This year they’re treating us as adults and leaving us to make our own decisions on what’s most important to us, and that’s also wrong.

Who’d honestly want to be in government these day?!!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’ve already made my decision and decided one football match isn’t worth the possibility of messing up Christmas for, but I can certainly see your problem.

Got to say your last sentence proves the no-win situation the authorities are is, as they are damned if they do, or damned if they don’t!

Last year they were hammered for locking down and were accused of ‘cancelling Christmas’.  This year they’re treating us as adults and leaving us to make our own decisions on what’s most important to us, and that’s also wrong.

Who’d honestly want to be in government these day?!!!

It is a very difficult situation but when you have a Government obsessed with saving shareholders over the health of it's population it doesn't help.

We currently have the worst Prime Minister at the worst time, lacking in any empathy, self awareness and ability to make decisions for the greater good .

He isn't "doing his best" he is PM not a toddler.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That figure has been debated long and hard elsewhere - so I’d refer you to that discussion, although I’d highlight once again that someone I know died from being electrocuted at work and his death was put down as a Covid death because he’d tested positive a month before his untimely death.

Don’t you think there is now hysteria over this omicron variant? Do you think it is warranted? Reports today suggested there were 16 people in hospital in the UK with omicron and there has been one death - a guy in his seventies who was unvaccinated and died ‘with’ not ‘from’ omicron - South Africa (from where the omicron variant apparently originated) has now reported they are ‘over the peak’ and the number of deaths from omicron over there? Zero ... 

A guy I work with, and his wife, are both isolating at home with omicron right now - they both have underlying health issues, however, he sent me a text saying he ‘feels a bit under the weather but he’s had worse colds’ - I would never underestimate or belittle anyone’s experiences during this pandemic, but I can only draw my own conclusions from the personal experiences I go through and to which I am exposed ... and in many ways, ‘hysteria’ is an appropriate word to sum up some things right now ... I totally get, and respect, that you may feel different and that’s obviously perfectly fine - have a great weekend ?

That's how I was tbh BS4, apart from the shortness of breath, it was similar to a heavy cold. That said, I'm treble jabbed and am sure that helped nullify the horrid symptoms those not vaccinated risk.

Been told to expect this for between 4-6 weeks so am just getting on with things, doing what I can and stopping if I can't.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I’m not going as I have Covid at the moment. 
I’m double jabbed, ironically was supposed to be boostered last Saturday but was away so had to cancel and went down with symptoms on Sunday. 
I wear a mask when in shops and other places, can’t walk past a sanitiser station without having a squirt. 

Thankfully I come out of Isolation on Wednesday so fingers crossed will be able to have a Christmas. Unless my wife who is shattered now running round after me gets some rest. She has banished me to the bedroom, which has a en-suite so not allowed out, so the rest of the household don’t have to worry about contracting it. 
To all the ones going today, be careful, enjoy yourself and hopefully you don’t take any unexpected guest in your bodies. 

That's what we did RorD and it protected the family.

I hope you feel better soon pal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

It is a very difficult situation but when you have a Government obsessed with saving shareholders over the health of it's population it doesn't help.

We currently have the worst Prime Minister at the worst time, lacking in any empathy, self awareness and ability to make decisions for the greater good .

He isn't "doing his best" he is PM not a toddler.

It’s a balancing act and if businesses all go down the toilet along with the assiciated jobs, that doesn’t help the population either, does it?

They’ve had all the accusations of being too authoritarian and trying to control all aspects of our lives in the past, so this seems like the obvious alternative.

It looks to me that this time, they’ve decided to vaccinate everyone who’lll agree to have it and then relying on the level of vaccine in the populace minimising serious illness and deaths and letting us start to build up some herd immunity.

This had to happen at some point, as lockdowns couldn’t continue for evermore and seemed to be of very limited benefit anyway.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

They said there were 18k at the last game but it looked more like 14k to me.  Being the last Saturday before Christmas and the Omicron scare, I wonder how many will actually be inside the ground today.

I’ve just parked up and it’s the quietest I’ve seen it for street parking for a while. I reckon it’ll be a pretty sparse crowd today