IGNORED

Should Saturdays match be played?

sh1t_ref_again

Should Saturdays match be played?  

398 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 minutes ago, Riaz said:

It orginated in south africa - been there a month or so and its not killed anyone.

There have been deaths (171 in the last 7 days) nowhere near as bad as Delta but certainly some, the authorities there reckon you are around 6 times less likely to die if hospitalised with Omicron compared to Delta.

Edited by pillred
punctuation

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Good. And so they should. 
It’s a squad game. If you’ve got 4 or 5 players isolating or positive, play the other members of the squad. 
If you’ve got enough players to field a team then the game should go ahead. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Riaz said:

The new variant hasnt killed anyone. Anywhere. Let that sink in.

Not true, we have had one recorded death in the UK and others worldwide.

Hospitalisation, then deaths tend to follow an increase in cases by two weeks (increased hospitalisation) and then deaths after four weeks.

Its still too early to claim Omicron will not have significant impact on the NHS or fatalities. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Boris announced two days ago of the "first death"

Turns out the person died WITH the variant, not of the variant.

You can all check this out with a simple google search

Jeez.

Boris has lost all credibility though with his liking of telling the truth. With honesty and integrity being paramount in a pandemic there’s lots who are demanding proof 

Just now, Riaz said:

Boris announced two days ago of the "first death"

Turns out the person died WITH the variant, not of the variant.

You can all check this out with a simple google search

Jeez.

It makes no odds, the second part of his post holds true. It is too early for any significant numbers of deaths to have occurred due to Omicron. Deaths WILL occur from it. In South Africa, virtually all Covid cases are now Omicron and they are having deaths. 

That said, I'm with the weigh up the risks and do as thou wilt faction voting for the first option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

It makes no odds, the second part of his post holds true. It is too early for any significant numbers of deaths to have occurred due to Omicron. Deaths WILL occur from it. In South Africa, virtually all Covid cases are now Omicron and they are having deaths. 

That said, I'm with the weigh up the risks and do as thou wilt faction voting for the first option.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/no-omicron-deaths-jj-vaccine-study-south-africa-scientist-says-2021-12-14/

10 minutes ago, Riaz said:

That's a study of those who've been vaccinated with the J&J vaccine.  74% of South Africans haven't been vaccinated. 

As virtually all South African infections are now Omicron, it's fair to say, that most of the 134 people who've died in the last week there from Covid will have been Omicron variant deaths.

I'm not trying to play down the good news that the study you quote found vaccines eliminated death risk, or that it looks almost certain that Omicron has a lower Case Mortality Rate than Delta.

This is one of the reasons I feel we shouldn't be panicked into abandoning football, although, to slow the rate of this things inevitable spread, taking precautions is wise and those particularly vulnerable should avoid these high risk events. 

I wasn't going to post about this as I was going Saturday but now I'm not. A few of us were coming up on the train from Devon but I really can't be arsed with a 3 hour round trip on train wearing a poxy mask. So it isn't the worry of catching COVID that is keeping me away but more about the process of attending.

As a double jabbed plus booster recipient I'm still really p!ssed off that the reporting of cases, hospitalisations and deaths are reported so poorly. As a population we should get a breakdown of how many of these people are vaccinated versus non-vaccinated.  I think it would help people make decisions about attending games.

In addition, it was reported today that 24% of people in the official figures of people in hospital today as COVID patients were actually admitted for another reason i.e. women in child birth, car accidents etc, etc. They just happen to have COVID at the same time. That really can't be the right way to report figures or am I way off mark here?

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's a study of those who've been vaccinated with the J&J vaccine.  74% of South Africans haven't been vaccinated. 

As virtually all South African infections are now Omicron, it's fair to say, that most of the 134 people who've died in the last week there from Covid will have been Omicron variant deaths.

I'm not trying to play down the good news that the study you quote found vaccines eliminated death risk, or that it looks almost certain that Omicron has a lower Case Mortality Rate than Delta.

This is one of the reasons I feel we shouldn't be panicked into abandoning football, although, to slow the rate of this things inevitable spread, taking precautions is wise and those particularly vulnerable should avoid these high risk events. 

Can you find me a news article that explicitly says someone had died OF the variant… 

But not WITH like Boris announced.

Should be easy enough to find. The media would be getting the maximum fear out of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I am struggling to understand why teams have reserve squads and under 23's etc. Surely these players should be put into the First team squad if others are not available, the same as if a player gets injured, cover is needed for that player.  If not what's the purpose of having a reserve or under 23 squad. Can understand games being called off in regards to public health issue due to Covid but not because they have no players available. I think they are taking the piss to be honest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Can you find me a news article that explicitly says someone had died OF the variant… 

But not WITH like Boris announced.

Should be easy enough to find. The media would be getting the maximum fear out of it. 

The SA Health Ministry say they cannot say with certainty how many deaths have been caused by which variant. Two things are important though. We know most South African infections are now Omicron and we know that 132 people who died in South Africa from Covid this week; we know there is a rise in hospitalisations in South Africa with more than 800 people currently requiring oxygen (500+ up from the figure a month ago).

It is naïve in the extreme to assert that this strain will not kill anyone. It almost certainly has done already and as we get further away from Nov 25th (when the variant was first discovered) we will see more.

HOWEVER, it does appear to be more mild, which is why I agree with your basic assertion.

Do you always try to pick arguments with people agreeing with you?  Strange man.

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The SA Health Ministry say they cannot say with certainty how many deaths have been caused by which variant. Two things are important though. We know most South African infections are now Omicron and we know that 132 people who died in South Africa from Covid this week; we know there is a rise in hospitalisations in South Africa with more than 800 people currently requiring oxygen (500+ up from the figure a month ago).

It is naïve in the extreme to assert that this strain will not kill anyone. It almost certainly has done already and as we get further away from Nov 25th (when the variant was first discovered) we will see more.

HOWEVER, it does appear to be more mild, which is why I agree with your basic assertion.

Do you always try to pick arguments with people agreeing with you?  Strange man.

I’m glad you agree, but you are disagreeing with my main point. 

Problem is, there are a lot of myths flying about at the moment and it causes unnecessary fear.

The fact someone earlier in the thread is suggesting cancelling football until March, shows the level of fear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can anybody explain to me why a club has to have a recognised 'keeper' to fulfil its fixtures?  City don't have a striker but are expected to play A.N Other-Outfielder in that role. In all the games I played as a kid you took turns in goal or later, if your appointed keeper got crocked, 'the tall lad' went in goal. Same in pro football before so many subs were permitted teams might as well include a stand-by stickman.

I get why in Rugby the frontline cannot be replaced given the potential for serious harm if not competent in the technicalities of the scrimmage, but keeper? 

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Can anybody explain to me why a club has to have a recognised 'keeper' to fulfil its fixtures?  City don't have a striker but are expected to play A.N Other-Outfielder in that role. In all the games I played as a kid you took turns in goal or later, if your appointed keeper got crocked, 'the tall lad' went in goal. Same in pro football before so many subs were permitted teams might as well include a stand-by stickman.

I get why in Rugby the frontline cannot be replaced given the potential for serious harm if not competent in the technicalities of the scrimmage, but keeper? 

Should play the drop-back or rush system.

That would sort them out.

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

With the thread 'Not going Saturday' giving an interesting range of views (Mods please merge), I am interested what is the general consensus about the match

With the massive increase in covid and a doubling rate now 1-2 days, I am not sure it is a with worth taking coming up to Christmas, even though I am triple jabbed

Get yourself a good IPTV supplier and you will have Robins TV on tap in exchange for a very small fee.

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

That’s completely false. Almost 100% of covid cases in SA are Omicron. There’s been deaths in SA over the past 3 weeks. 

Link?

if this was the case, the media would be making the most of it and it would be plastered everywhere 

ps to clarify, I’m not saying there won’t be any. What i am saying, is that it will be extremely low and there is no justification for the hysteria or any restrictions 

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

As a population we should get a breakdown of how many of these people are vaccinated versus non-vaccinated

But that wouldn't help one bit. Here's why.

Vulnerable folks were the first priority to get vaccinated, problem being they remain vulnerable once jabbed, just better protected against the virus. So the old or sick are still more likely to die than the average Joe and that gets reported whether or not it was Covid that did for them if they've presented with the virus (if in hospital that's a given,) within X number of days of death and most vulnerable folks die in hospital.

Non-vaccinated are likely not to fall into vulnerable categories, hence de facto will have a better prognosis than the vulnerable when catching the virus. Some will die (in hospital,) but not as many as comparable non-vaccinated vulnerables, of which there are few.

Still with me?

In which case reporting the raw metric you speak will show a disproportionate number of vaccinated folks dying, save they aren't. But that's the same as me arguing Eddie Large & Jethro died of Covid (though both had major underlying health conditions,) therefore vaccinated comics better watch out as they seem to be at greater risk (they aren't and Jimmy Tarbuck may sleep soundly.)

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 2