IGNORED

Should Saturdays match be played?

sh1t_ref_again

Should Saturdays match be played?  

398 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We already have 50% of both championship & L1 games postponed and 67% of Prem, think the EFL should be looking at this and put off the rest of the games by this evening before fans start to travel. For so many games to be affected already, assume down to players infection, how can the EFL prevent much wider spread and more teams affected and more fixture problems for boxing day. 

Cardiff City v Derby County Match postponed - Other
Middlesbrough 12:30 AFC Bournemouth
Blackburn Rovers 15:00 Birmingham City
Blackpool 15:00 Peterborough United
Bristol City 15:00 Huddersfield Town
Coventry City v Stoke City Match postponed - Other
Millwall v Preston North End Match postponed - Other
Nottingham Forest 15:00 Hull City
Queens Park Rangers v Swansea City Match postponed - Other
Reading v Luton Town Match postponed - Other

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

We already have 50% of both championship & L1 games postponed and 67% of Prem, think the EFL should be looking at this and put off the rest of the games by this evening before fans start to travel. For so many games to be affected already, assume down to players infection, how can the EFL prevent much wider spread and more teams affected and more fixture problems for boxing day. 

Agreed 100 percent.

Although, not holding my breath, as we all know where the fans come on the list of priorities.

Edited by AppyDAZE

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If no Bristol City or Huddersfield players have tested positive then why should the game be cancelled? 
If both teams can field a squad, then let’s play cricket. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Won't any games called off today also mean that Boxing Day is already in serious doubt, based on the 10 day rule.

8 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Oh dear. 

Do you think the Old Lady has a bottomless pit in Threadneedle Street?  As it happens the BoE's function is two fold : regulatory policy and approval for issuance of banknotes, though quite a few folks issue those.

BoE doesn't 'create' money, though through issuance of notes may regulate it's worth. 

The money the Government spends beyond that recovered by The Treasury is borrowed, in exactly the same way you or I might borrow money. It attracts interest premiums and must, ultimately, be repaid. Default means lenders may not lend again in future 

"Oh dear" - oh dear indeed...

You think the BoE cannot create money? So where did the £900 billion for QE the last few years come from? The money it used to buy the gilts? It created it.

The government "borrowing" from the BoE is nothing like us borrowing money, at all. The BoE cannot say no to a government request for money for a start, and the goverment's overdraft is limitless. If you borrow money under those terms please tell me where from!

If you're interested, give this a read: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/quarterly-bulletin/2014/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy.pdf

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

You think the BoE cannot create money? So where did the £900 billion for QE the last few years come from? The money it used to buy the gilts? It created it.

The government "borrowing" from the BoE is nothing like us borrowing money, at all. The BoE cannot say no to a government request for money for a start, and the goverment's overdraft is limitless. If you borrow money under those terms please tell me where from!

If you're interested, give this a read: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/quarterly-bulletin/2014/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy.pdf

I think this BTRFTG chap needs a lesson in Fiat Currency and Fractional Reserve Lending and realise that money doesn’t actually exist and is just a bunch of numbers on a computer screen. 

• Like 1

It’s one thing people being cautious about tomorrow as it’s so near Christmas & none of us want another one ruined. 
As to should the game be played , 100% yes. Millions of us are triple jabbed now & I can’t see what else we can do tbh. There are still imo selfish morons ( the world doesn’t revolve around you )  who won’t get jabbed & if they did it would help massively . However it doesn’t stop you getting it just reduces the severity . Life has to go on as normal as possible imo. 
The new variant is alarming more contagious but it appears to be much milder in effect . I certainly don’t have the answers but as I’ve said we have to get on with it . 
I really do feel for people with underlying health issues though , it must be a nightmare. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Actually, given its new independence, the BoE can say no but it would be a very brave Governor who acted that way. The Government overdraft isn't limitless, that's why controls were introduced and if the Chancellor exceeds forecast and needs extra he has to go cap in hand explaining why. The BoE then works out how best to source funding.

Increasing currency in circulation is easy, problem being it devalues what's already circulating plus increases the cost of borrowing. Look at Turkish Lira this week. It's one of the prime reasons the UK defect increased. Ditto issuing gilts, which isn't creating money rather creating financial options. UK raises money by issuing them, not buying them. That's why economies are credit rated, why post QE the UK's was downgraded.

Edited by BTRFTG

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think this BTRFTG chap needs a lesson in Fiat Currency and Fractional Reserve Lending and realise that money doesn’t actually exist and is just a bunch of numbers on a computer screen. 

'Money' and what it does sure as hell exists as that's why folks spend their lives trying to acquire it and those who don't have it spend their existences moaning about those that do. 

Half the world's populous has never seen a computer screen, but ask them what money is and they know.

23 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s one thing people being cautious about tomorrow as it’s so near Christmas & none of us want another one ruined. 
As to should the game be played , 100% yes. Millions of us are triple jabbed now & I can’t see what else we can do tbh. There are still imo selfish morons ( the world doesn’t revolve around you )  who won’t get jabbed & if they did it would help massively . However it doesn’t stop you getting it just reduces the severity . Life has to go on as normal as possible imo. 
The new variant is alarming more contagious but it appears to be much milder in effect . I certainly don’t have the answers but as I’ve said we have to get on with it . 
I really do feel for people with underlying health issues though , it must be a nightmare. 

It's about risk for sure but in a civilized society it's sometimes about deferring personal expectation for the common good. What else can we do? Well we can try and limit the damage this new variant might reek and as guidance shows that's simply a matter of numbers.

With R around 5 that's over 3m infected at Xmas; if 3% need assistance that's 90k, that's 65% of all hospital beds and there aren't that many acute beds in the UK. It's simply the quantum.

28 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

'Money' and what it does sure as hell exists as that's why folks spend their lives trying to acquire it and those who don't have it spend their existences moaning about those that do. 

Half the world's populous has never seen a computer screen, but ask them what money is and they know.

Currency exists for sure. But money really doesn’t exist in real terms. 
If the banks called in all the debt that they hold, there wouldn’t actually be enough ‘actual’ currency in the world to pay it back. 
It’s all borrowed and doesn’t actually exist. It’s huge huge numbers on a screen. 

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Agree totally. Attendances will be low, and it just seems crazy to take risks now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

It's about risk for sure but in a civilized society it's sometimes about deferring personal expectation for the common good. What else can we do? Well we can try and limit the damage this new variant might reek and as guidance shows that's simply a matter of numbers.

With R around 5 that's over 3m infected at Xmas; if 3% need assistance that's 90k, that's 65% of all hospital beds and there aren't that many acute beds in the UK. It's simply the quantum.

The latest data coming out of South Africa who are a few weeks advanced is that luckily only 1.7% of cases needed assistance . Also our vaccination % is much higher than SA . 
Let’s hope we don’t get a variant as contagious as this one but as dangerous as delta ??

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

A mates dad works at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital and has told us that all of the covid patients in intensive care are unvaccinated, believe there’s a BBC article that says 80% hospitalisations/ITU admissions (I can’t quite remember) are not at all vaccinated, yet people are still sharing their conspiracy nonsense about the vaccine & claiming they’ve caused a communist take over 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, underover said:

A mates dad works at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital and has told us that all of the covid patients in intensive care are unvaccinated, believe there’s a BBC article that says 80% hospitalisations/ITU admissions (I can’t quite remember) are not at all vaccinated, yet people are still sharing their conspiracy nonsense about the vaccine & claiming they’ve caused a communist take over 

Saw a good tweet yesterday which showed people hospitalised per 100k broken down by vaccinated v unvaccinated and by age backet….rather than do it on actual numbers….as the number of vaccinated v unvaccinated will skew the picture.

In the upper age groups it was 3 or 4 (unvaccinated) to 1 (vaccinated).

D5B2B251-FA43-4608-A430-2C683E64BEF7.thumb.jpeg.9bedeef8da105d197702db1df370d2e7.jpeg

Deaths follow a similar trend.

52D6AE5D-0ACC-42EB-B8CD-064CC3C09E04.thumb.jpeg.63f819ddced93c6be77d046e3a7ce6e4.jpeg

At a very simplistic level to the layman, I’d suggest vaccinations is having a positive effect.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Saw a good tweet yesterday which showed people hospitalised per 100k broken down by vaccinated v unvaccinated and by age backet….rather than do it on actual numbers….as the number of vaccinated v unvaccinated will skew the picture.

In the upper age groups it was 3 or 4 (unvaccinated) to 1 (vaccinated).

D5B2B251-FA43-4608-A430-2C683E64BEF7.thumb.jpeg.9bedeef8da105d197702db1df370d2e7.jpeg

Deaths follow a similar trend.

52D6AE5D-0ACC-42EB-B8CD-064CC3C09E04.thumb.jpeg.63f819ddced93c6be77d046e3a7ce6e4.jpeg

At a very simplistic level to the layman, I’d suggest vaccinations is having a positive effect.

You can’t come up  with facts Dave . For the anti vaccers , We all know the major super powers created it to throw the world into global financial turmoil & to wipe out the elderly . The earth is flat , Elvis  lives on the moon & the matrix was a documentary not a sci fi film .

Oh & joey Barton is a upstanding pillar of the community . 

• Like 1