IGNORED

Lee Johnson's man management

1960maaan

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

Even at LJs age, youngish, it must be a nightmare man managing players in their 20s and younger.

The world has changed so fast in recent years. 

Playing Professional football was like being in the Army...you went to war every game.

And in going to war...you fought...and didn't think about offending anyone. It was full on. Take no prisoners, win, say whatever to get results.

Now ..it's just woke central.

I'm really not sure how you go about it these days.

Didn't LJ say you had to put your arm around some to motivate and tell them how great they were, to get a result. Then others responded to a kick up the arse. 

How do you motivate multi millionaires, set up for life, to give a damn about kicking a ball. 

Probably would be an acceptable excuse for LJ had he played anywhere near like going to war and didn't have his actual dad with him looking after his career for 20 years!

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

Even at LJs age, youngish, it must be a nightmare man managing players in their 20s and younger.

The world has changed so fast in recent years. 

Playing Professional football was like being in the Army...you went to war every game.

And in going to war...you fought...and didn't think about offending anyone. It was full on. Take no prisoners, win, say whatever to get results.

Now ..it's just woke central.

I'm really not sure how you go about it these days.

Didn't LJ say you had to put your arm around some to motivate and tell them how great they were, to get a result. Then others responded to a kick up the arse. 

How do you motivate multi millionaires, set up for life, to give a damn about kicking a ball. 

Isn't it a good think coaches are now more in tune with how to get the best out of players, rather than relying on a bloke in a tracksuit with a paunch screaming at them from the touchline while they try and run off their hangover? Is that going to war...?

Makes total sense to me that some need a soft approach, some need a kick up the arse - they are human after all. I expect even the great managers from the past knew that as well.

Oh, and no idea what coaching has to do with social justice now either, but hey ho!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Mmm I just took the good coach comments as the build up to the big BUT. Which inevitably came. The Wilbo interview went through the same stuff in more detail. The whole situation with Tomlin was hilarious!

The Tomlin situation?? 
You mean the one where a notoriously bad attitude ***** gets himself into legal bother off the pitch, and LJ protected him from the press and any bad publicity at all, even managing to keep the whole thing quiet from the industry to enable us to sell him to Cardiff and recoup all of the fee we’d shelled out for him. Only for the legal situation to be publicised shortly after. 
I think that’s a quite wonderful piece of management. 
Tomlin was trouble. LJ managed to get him out of the club at no financial loss. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

You'd imagine a lot of coaches tend to base their coaching style on the managers they've previously played under. 

LJ played a lot of his career under his old man. Another who seemed to fall out with quite a few players. Wouldn't surprise me if he tries to use a few of the old GJ 'hand grenades'. Not sure how effective they are on players nowadays though, we always hear about how many now prefer the arm around the shoulder type management. 

Yes agree both bully boys even with their size.

2 hours ago, dREDful said:

Such a shame we rewarded those Bristol City legends for their promotion with giving them Lee Johnson as manager. 

They deserved so much more. 

Edit- I say promotion. Sorry, I mean double winning league and cup championship. 

Exactly he damaged the feel good factor in the dressing room and got rid one by one  not 

Liked  by all at Sunderland either.

11 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Woke. Of course.

Of course Lee Johnson’s inability to manage a successful football team is because of people being woke.

I’ve seen some excuses for that bloke offered up on this forum over the years, but blaming it on players being ‘woke’.

Jesus wept.

Indeed. It literally doesn’t make sense as a comment. I can only assume @spudskidoesn’t actually on know what ‘woke’ means and is really searching for a different word instead. He seems to be talking about people being over-sensitive whereas being ‘woke’ means someone is aware of and passionate about social injustice, not being sensitive to criticism.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The Tomlin situation?? 
You mean the one where a notoriously bad attitude ***** gets himself into legal bother off the pitch, and LJ protected him from the press and any bad publicity at all, even managing to keep the whole thing quiet from the industry to enable us to sell him to Cardiff and recoup all of the fee we’d shelled out for him. Only for the legal situation to be publicised shortly after. 

No I meant the bringing in of a nutritionist talking about crisps and chocolate and Tomlin telling the team how good they all were. It’s on the Wilbo interview it was hilarious!

Tomlin was taking the piss and LJ had no idea how to handle it was/is the sub-text! Wilbo even said I wouldn’t say anything here that I wouldn’t say to Tomo’s face. There is loads more particularly Wilbo approaching LJ about mobile phone use at training!

you should go find it it’s one of the best if not the best podcast interview of one of our best professionals!

How did you get so angry? 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The Tomlin situation?? 

Or the truth that GoN & Tomlin openly mocked WeeLee in front of the squad when he questioned their play suggesting he, too, could have played in The Premier had he desired. They openly laughed in his face, thus condemning themselves to the naughty step.

Or Kent, highly rated, WeeLee had the World's top coaches on speed dial, until he didn't. Played out of position, undermined, not allowed to develop. A kid who looked in yards if not chains, but who was ordered to play by inches and punished if he looked beyond. Klopp and Guardiola appear to have lost WeeLee's ( and City's) number. That's unlike quality man-mangers of their ilk.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Ayling, you’re not good enough get out. Freeman, you’re not good enough either…

Best about Ayling was when WeeLee publicly called him out for errors, then due to injury had to recall him where Luke played an absolute blinder. Ayling knew it, the crowd knew it, WeeLee through gritted teeth knew it but would never admit he called it wrong.

For good reason Ayling at interview talks of Arsenal and his wondorous time at Yeovil. It's as if his period at City never happened. No wonder he did what he did when scoring against us at Elland.

• Like 1

LJ gave us the longest continuous period of championship football since Alan Dicks and we spent the latter of that period within a shot of the playoffs. 
We also enjoyed a fantastic cup run - that win vs Man U is a night I will never forget - one of my best ever nights at Ashton Gate. 
LJ can’t have been that bad a man-manager. 
Thanks for the memories Lee and good luck. 

Now is Nigel’s turn. Let’s hope we can push on from our solid Championship foundation that he inherited. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. It literally doesn’t make sense as a comment. I can only assume @spudskidoesn’t actually on know what ‘woke’ means and is really searching for a different word instead. He seems to be talking about people being over-sensitive whereas being ‘woke’ means someone is aware of and passionate about social injustice, not being sensitive to criticism.

Yes...I probably should have used another word, but I do find 'wokes', 'karens', overly/easily offended tend to go hand in hand. I do know what they mean.

And I'm fine with social injustices being corrected.

My point was more along the line of football being used as a platform and players being more aware and it prioritising their lives more.

For any manager...living in a more 'woke' society, where social media rules and takes over, it must be harder to keep the players focussed to the job in hand. They don't live for football anymore. They have to think about everything else Clubs/football connects itself with. 

It's harder for a manager/ coach these days imo, to get players fully focussed to the job in hand, and it actually to mean something.

NP has alluded to players not being focused/motivated. 

The world has changed quickly and the way people think and react is different. Anyone over 40 will think and react differently to a 20 yo. We got brought up differently. The older generation are constantly having to check themselves. Our views, what we can and can't say. How often do you hear the quote..' you can't say that anymore'. What we socially grew up with is ingrained. Being aware you can't ' be yourself' because someone will find fault or be offended. 

Managers of a certain age will be dealing with that. You've got to say something these days and you are put up before the media and judged.

And that will happen in football in dealing with a different generation of players. Constantly having to be aware. Must be tiring. 

Look at the way NP interviews...it's painful. Constantly checking in his mind before he speaks, knowing every word can and will be used against him in needed. You just be 'you' anymore. You have to conform. 

It's a crazy hypocritical world we live in. This forum reflects that.

Everything is analysed/ dissected about, club, players, social, political, what's right, what's wrong...but you only have to read the match day threads each week, or be at the stadium to hear/ see the reactions and what people say and expect. 

Everything said during the week goes out the window...it's laughable.

I often look at the bigger picture. Everything is so symbolic these days, just ticking boxes. 

Right time for work ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

1)  LJ gave us the longest continuous period of championship football since Alan Dicks and we spent the latter of that period within a shot of the playoffs. 
We also enjoyed a fantastic cup run - that win vs Man U is a night I will never forget - one of my best ever nights at Ashton Gate. 
2). LJ can’t have been that bad a man-manager. 

Now is Nigel’s turn. Let’s hope we can push on from our solid Championship foundation that he inherited. 

1) True, but he was handed a reasonable starting team and more money to waste than anyone. More to the point he was allowed much more time than anyone ever. Could and probably should, have been sacked way before. Yes, fantastic cup run with some style too. 
2) Why, you can be the most successful manager in the League and still be a bad man manager. 
    There are plenty of occasions I could suggest, but listen to the 2 points I made at the start. How he delt with the two keepers over the same period, it's not great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes...I probably should have used another word, but I do find 'wokes', 'karens', overly/easily offended tend to go hand in hand. I do know what they mean.

And I'm fine with social injustices being corrected.

My point was more along the line of football being used as a platform and players being more aware and it prioritising their lives more.

For any manager...living in a more 'woke' society, where social media rules and takes over, it must be harder to keep the players focussed to the job in hand. They don't live for football anymore. They have to think about everything else Clubs/football connects itself with. 

It's harder for a manager/ coach these days imo, to get players fully focussed to the job in hand, and it actually to mean something.

NP has alluded to players not being focused/motivated. 

The world has changed quickly and the way people think and react is different. Anyone over 40 will think and react differently to a 20 yo. We got brought up differently. The older generation are constantly having to check themselves. Our views, what we can and can't say. How often do you hear the quote..' you can't say that anymore'. What we socially grew up with is ingrained. Being aware you can't ' be yourself' because someone will find fault or be offended. 

Managers of a certain age will be dealing with that. You've got to say something these days and you are put up before the media and judged.

And that will happen in football in dealing with a different generation of players. Constantly having to be aware. Must be tiring. 

Look at the way NP interviews...it's painful. Constantly checking in his mind before he speaks, knowing every word can and will be used against him in needed. You just be 'you' anymore. You have to conform. 

It's a crazy hypocritical world we live in. This forum reflects that.

Everything is analysed/ dissected about, club, players, social, political, what's right, what's wrong...but you only have to read the match day threads each week, or be at the stadium to hear/ see the reactions and what people say and expect. 

Everything said during the week goes out the window...it's laughable.

I often look at the bigger picture. Everything is so symbolic these days, just ticking boxes. 

Right time for work ?

You can't belittle, bully and assault footballers nowadays. The world's gone mad.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes agree both bully boys even with their size.

.. and both took us closer to achieving top flight football again than any other manager since the great Alan Dicks

Perhaps SL should name a stand 'The Johnson Stand' in recognition of the services that family have given the club? ?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

.. and both took us closer to achieving top flight football again than any other manager since the great Alan Dicks

Perhaps SL should name a stand 'The Johnson Stand' in recognition of the services that family have given the club? ?

Is that a joke? 

LJ coasted on the momentum of a double-winning squad built by SOD and Cotterill. The club was perfectly positioned to 'achieve' what he achieved, a more ambitious appointment would've probably made more of the unprecendented resources (both in terms of the squad he inherited and the money) he had at his disposal. 

He deserves credit from bringing Brownhill with him from Barnsley, for insisting on signing Webster if we were to sell Flint, and for improving players on the training ground, but not a lot else - and certainly not a stand being named after him! 

I don't think his coaching skills have ever been in question and he'd make a good right-hand man. It was more his lack of experience to be the top dog and then the constant stream of bullshit that came out of his mouth that never endeared him to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

In general, the very successful managers at club level are not the best at getting trophies, titles and promotions. They are the personnel managers, who are able to provide a shoulder to cry on for some and a kick up the ass for others. They rely on the coaches to instill into the players, the tactics, style of playing etc.

And those managers who hurl individual players under the proverbial bus, are doomed after the first time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Closer but achieved jack shit neither of them apart from being able to talk the talk and flannel the fans .?? oh I forgot the cup match :laugh:

Edited by RobintheRed Red

19 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

LJ gave us the longest continuous period of championship football since Alan Dicks and we spent the latter of that period within a shot of the playoffs. 
LJ can’t have been that bad a man-manager. 

Nigel inherited a pile of steaming turd to be honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Closer but achieved jack shit neither of them apart from being able to talk the talk and flannel the fans .?? oh I forgot the cup match :laugh:

So please tell me who HAS achieved anything at Championship level then o wise one - I must be stupid because I can’t remember anyone achieving anything at this level since AD. 
No major silverware
No Premiership promotion

…… no change there then!!!!