IGNORED

On this day In 1994…….

pongo88

Gary Owers played his last game for Sunderland before joining Bristol City. If only we had him now 

(The story also mentions MartIn Scott who left City to join Sunderland. Another player we could do with now)

https://apple.news/AbofOMUmYQrKAVbQMQND_AQ

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

This seems to me like one of those “the sun always shone when I was at school” posts.

I always admired Owers’ effort, but truth is he was nothing special, he played midfield in the side that got relegated & then in League One filled in a fair bit at RB. Certainly of the current squad Matty James is at the very least as good as him.

Owers certainly put in everything he had but he was fairly limited, Martin Scott on the other hand was the best LB I have seen play for us, better than Barnard, Brennan, McAllister, Bell or Bryan.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

This seems to me like one of those “the sun always shone when I was at school” posts.

I always admired Owers’ effort, but truth is he was nothing special, he played midfield in the side that got relegated & then in League One filled in a fair bit at RB. Certainly of the current squad Matty James is at the very least as good as him.

Owers certainly put in everything he had but he was fairly limited, Martin Scott on the other hand was the best LB I have seen play for us, better than Barnard, Brennan, McAllister, Bell or Bryan.

Mark Walters still has nightmares about the cup game.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I agree with most of your post until you mention Jamie McAllister in the same breath as those other LBs. I can't have that at all.

We were blessed with goalscoring LBs for the best part of a decade back then, of which Scott was the first. The common denominator with all of them except for Bryan was they had Tinnion in front of them, who'd often tuck in on left midfield and allow the others to bomb on.

Sunderland got the better end of that particular deal. 

9 minutes ago, tin said:

I agree with most of your post until you mention Jamie McAllister in the same breath as those other LBs. I can't have that at all.

We were blessed with goalscoring LBs for the best part of a decade back then, of which Scott was the first. The common denominator with all of them except for Bryan was they had Tinnion in front of them, who'd often tuck in on left midfield and allow the others to bomb on.

Firstly re Scott, we also got £450k, which Joe largely spent on Martin Kuhl, so whatever we think of him, that sale enabled him to sign an experienced central midfield pairing.

With McAllister & of course it is subjective, but unlike many of the others, he was primarily a defender who was integral to the side that got us as near the Prem as we’ve got in 40 years & whose career included 6 seasons at Championship level, Mickey Bell, often seen on here as some sort of god (probably because of the free kicks & penalties) in contrast played just ONE season at that level in his entire career..

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Firstly re Scott, we also got £450k, which Joe largely spent on Martin Kuhl, so whatever we think of him, that sale enabled him to sign an experienced central midfield pairing.

With McAllister & of course it is subjective, but unlike many of the others, he was primarily a defender who was integral to the side that got us as near the Prem as we’ve got in 40 years & whose career included 6 seasons at Championship level, Mickey Bell, often seen on here as some sort of god (probably because of the free kicks & penalties) in contrast played just ONE season at that level in his entire career..

Bell had many an offer to go higher and probably should have given our inability to escape the 3rd. Having him constantly in the pfa team of the year says alot about the standard of performance we got from him for many a season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

True. I was never a fan of Owers or Kuhl to be honest, although I recall Kuhl smashing in a screamer at home to Swansea. 

RE McAllister, I can't agrue with that at all. But I did prefer Scott, Barnard, Bell, Brennan because I like to see our teams play with width and I love a full-back who chips in with goals and assists. Barnard and Brennan both went on to play in the PL after leaving us, mind. 

It always baffled me how we had a succession of great LBs but couldn't find a decent RB for love nor money.

Edited by tin

23 minutes ago, tin said:

Scott is my favourite LB for City, and we’ve had some bloody good ones too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Scott is my favourite LB for City, and we’ve had some bloody good ones too.

Brennan was my favourite although he was a proper wing back in days when they were comparatively new and there were not many to compare him too. I remember a game where he was on the bench as he had only returned from international duty the night before, he came on when we were 1-2 down and we won the game 5-2. I don't think I have ever seen one player make so much difference from the bench, certainly not a left back.

Scott was culture personified and Barnard and Bell were similar players, better going forward than defending.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tin said:

True. I was never a fan of Owers or Kuhl to be honest, although I recall Kuhl smashing in a screamer at home to Swansea. 

RE McAllister, I can't agrue with that at all. But I did prefer Scott, Barnard, Bell, Brennan because I like to see our teams play with width and I love a full-back who chips in with goals and assists. Barnard and Brennan both went on to play in the PL after leaving us, mind. 

It always baffled me how we had a succession of great LBs but couldn't find a decent RB for love nor money.

On your last point only Orr (made PFA Championship team of the year) & Carey before he moved into the middle, were of the standard of those left backs.

Scott also played top flight football with Sunderland.

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Brennan was my favourite although he was a proper wing back in days when they were comparatively new and there were not many to compare him too. I remember a game where he was on the bench as he had only returned from international duty the night before, he came on when we were 1-2 down and we won the game 5-2. I don't think I have ever seen one player make so much difference from the bench, certainly not a left back.

Scott was culture personified and Barnard and Bell were similar players, better going forward than defending.

I seem to remember (possible incorrectly), Brennon scoring twice with near post headers in successive games, then we did not bother trying that corner routine again, or I may have dreamt that and just made it up?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Graham - I’m sure you’re correct about Owers, in a way. I’m not sure about my memories of past City teams, as the past isn’t as good as it used to be.  The reason I liked Owers was because you knew what you were going to get. I have to agree with you that he was as a bit one dimensional, but he was a constant one dimension.

PS - the sun always did shine when I was at school. I can’t remember a single day of rain. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Graham - I’m sure you’re correct about Owers, in a way. I’m not sure about my memories of past City teams, as the past isn’t as good as it used to be.  The reason I liked Owers was because you knew what you were going to get. I have to agree with you that he was as a bit one dimensional, but he was a constant one dimension.

PS - the sun always did shine when I was at school. I can’t remember a single day of rain. 

For what it’s worth I liked him too, never short changed us for effort, never ducked a challenge & scored a few decent goals.

John Ward in his infinite wisdom replaced him with Carl Hutchings, who was absolute litter, I’d have happily seen him stay rather than sign that talent vacuum.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think that was when we beat Blackpool at home 5-2 in ‘99. I totally agree with what you said about his impact, and still remember that to this day. He was awesome that day. 

• Like 1

Owers had a decent career overall. He didn’t set the world alight for us but he always put a shift in. One abiding memory is when Ward played him at right wing back in one game (not sure against who). He had acres of space but didn’t have the pace to cause any trouble……so it seemed the opposition just let him have that space. 

I really like him as a pundit on RB, he talks a lot of sense. 

4 hours ago, Offside said:

Owers had a decent career overall. He didn’t set the world alight for us but he always put a shift in. One abiding memory is when Ward played him at right wing back in one game (not sure against who). He had acres of space but didn’t have the pace to cause any trouble……so it seemed the opposition just let him have that space. 

I really like him as a pundit on RB, he talks a lot of sense. 

From memory it was Bournemouth, we played poorly, I think it ended in a draw,and Ward got dogs abuse.  He then abandoned wing backs,went 442 and never looked back and we got promoted. 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 13:44, GrahamC said:

He was a worthy captain of our 1997-98 promotion side IMHO.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Offside about his qualities as a pundit on RB. Always well worth listening to his take on a game.

• Like 2