IGNORED

BIG MATCH REVISITED

pillred

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

A rare opportunity we are featured tomorrow at 10-30 on ITV4 playing Nottingham Forest in a fifth round FA cup tie from Feb 1981.

The electronic scoreboard showing us 0-1 at 81 mins has never been erased from my brain.

I must watch just in case there was a different outcome to the one I remember!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, pillred said:

A rare opportunity we are featured tomorrow at 10-30 on ITV4 playing Nottingham Forest in a fifth round FA cup tie from Feb 1981.

I remember listening to that game on the radio on the way to my aunt’s house as my dad had just had a phone call from her to say my Gramps had passed away.  Mabbutt scored, silly things that stick in your memory.  Didn’t we go on to lose?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I remember listening to that game on the radio on the way to my aunt’s house as my dad had just had a phone call from her to say my Gramps had passed away.  Mabbutt scored, silly things that stick in your memory.  Didn’t we go on to lose?

I was there. Crushing disappointment! Through the 80s I kept a cutting of the photo of Mabbutt scoring - felt like the end of an era....as indeed it was!

Hadn't they just signed Trevor Francis for £1m - and we had a youngster marking him?

37 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I was there. Crushing disappointment! Through the 80s I kept a cutting of the photo of Mabbutt scoring - felt like the end of an era....as indeed it was!

Hadn't they just signed Trevor Francis for £1m - and we had a youngster marking him?

Trev scored a header - past Jan Moller - in the '79 European Cup final so he had been there a while. Funny how the 80s were bookended by cup ties at Forest.

Watching old series of the Big Match, you see what a good player Trevor Francis was, and why he played for England. 

33 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Trev scored a header - past Jan Moller - in the '79 European Cup final so he had been there a while. Funny how the 80s were bookended by cup ties at Forest.

Watching old series of the Big Match, you see what a good player Trevor Francis was, and why he played for England. 

Yeah Trevor Francis was a great player

• Like 1

Even now, I'm transported back to being a kid and being all excited about bering able to watch football on the telly.

The same goes for the original Match of the day theme

Oh my God,  this one makes me feel really nostalgic, because I would have been 5 or 6 years old, and just discovering how amazing the game of football was.

Feel a bit emotional   :laugh:

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Even now, I'm transported back to being a kid and being all excited about bering able to watch football on the telly.

The same goes for the original Match of the day theme

Oh my God,  this one makes me feel really nostalgic, because I would have been 5 or 6 years old, and just discovering how amazing the game of football was.

Feel a bit emotional   :laugh:

Always disappointed when the BBC changed the theme music from this!

Also, great to be reminded of the times when keepers didn’t wear gloves!

Edited by East End Old Boy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

That was  gut wrenching and the weather and pitch were awful, we seem destined to never make the League cup final, 3 times we have made the semi's and each time we have nearly made it, one day, one day.  

Edited by pillred
punctuation
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, handsofclay said:

That's City v Forest in the league cup semi final 1989, not the FA Cup match of 1981 but still fond memories nevertheless.

What a night, I remember their stewards looking bemused as they had to open up section after section of the away end as more and more City fans arrived, then when we scored it became apparent that there were a lot more in the enclosures as well.

I had forgotten Franz Carr, but Pearce was some player wasn't he?

Quite what Paul Mardon was doing on the edge of their box I'll never know. I would imagine@Davefevswould be bringing out charts about the positional play of a defensive midfield player, to show how exposed he could have left us. :)

• Like 1

I remember going into HT 1-0, we were singing "HiHo HiHo we are the City boys" and it was so loud (probably as the rest of the crowd was quieter) it echoed round the stadium. It was so weird we all stopped ?

Was one of the few times I felt like crying at a game. That close and we lose. Wasn't it renegade Ginger member of the hair bear bunch that got 2, Wallace ?

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember going into HT 1-0, we were singing "HiHo HiHo we are the City boys" and it was so loud (probably as the rest of the crowd was quieter) it echoed round the stadium. It was so weird we all stopped ?

Was one of the few times I felt like crying at a game. That close and we lose. Wasn't it renegade Ginger member of the hair bear bunch that got 2, Wallace ?

I thought Wallace too.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What a night, I remember their stewards looking bemused as they had to open up section after section of the away end as more and more City fans arrived, then when we scored it became apparent that there were a lot more in the enclosures as well.

I had forgotten Franz Carr, but Pearce was some player wasn't he?

Quite what Paul Mardon was doing on the edge of their box I'll never know. I would imagine@Davefevswould be bringing out charts about the positional play of a defensive midfield player, to show how exposed he could have left us. :)

No charts needed, the intuition of a centre forward…which is the position he played all his junior football in…he was same school year as me, so played against him loads of times.  Had a good career didn’t he?

image.thumb.png.4c3ad21d583dd4f0cd7ad21358391bf3.png

• Thanks 1

Southampton v Everton to start with. How did Southampton afford Keegan, Dave Watson and later Shilton and others on crowds no bigger than we got (76 - 80) in a poorer ground than AG and both maintain top class football and avoid financial meltdown?

24000 the crowd for this cup tie.

If Richard Latham wasn't quite so nice/"wet" perhaps he might a proper meaty book about this era and what really happened and went wrong. A way more interesting era than the SL dull-fest for two decades. There's a story in this that hasn't really been told.