IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match day thread

Jerseybean

Season’s greetings fellow Reds from New York. We decided to stick with our travel plans for a pre-Christmas family trip despite all the variables and uncertainties it entails, even our dog chipped in as he required an emergency visit to the vets the night before we departed! Hopefully we will be back home for Christmas.

Today’s game marks the half way point of the season and is our first game in which the Government’s COVID Plan B to limit the spread of the Omicron variant comes into effect. It would be a good idea to get to the Gate early today. Fans (aged 18 and over) must show their NHS COVID Pass, or an alternative proof of a negative test result, such as an email or text proof, to gain entry. Here are links to the full details: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ℹ-plan-b-update-for-supporters/ https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ℹ-supporter-information-for-new-covid-19-rules/

Huddersfield Town, aka the Terriers, their nickname was introduced in the 1969/70 season by promotions manager Bill Brooke, acknowledging the terrier-like qualities of fitness and tenacity of Ian Greaves’ young side.

They were formed in 1908. In 1926 and were the first English team to win three successive league titles, hence the three stars on their club crest. They also won the FA Cup in 1922, and have been runners-up on four other occasions.

In the 2016/17 season they won the play off final against Reading, the game finished goalless so it went to penalties - Huddersfield winning that 4-3. That led to their first time ever in the Premier League. They had played in the top flight of English football before - the last time was 1972 - but that was before the Premier League started in 1992.

Huddersfield's first season back in the top tier of English football saw them end the season in 16th place, four points ahead of the relegation zone. It was described in The Guardian as "the Premier League's greatest survival story", with their manager David Wagner noted as "a leader of rare charisma and intelligence".

In July 2020 Carlos Corberan (who was previously in charge of Leeds United under-23s) was appointed Head Coach after the sacking of Danny Cowley.

Huddersfield haven’t won away since September, last weekend they drew 1-1 against Coventry who equalized in injury time. A game in which Coventry had 22 shots on goal and over 65% possession while the home team had just two chances. Highlights here: https://www.htafc.com/news/2021/december/highlights-town-1-1-coventry-city/

Their recent form hasn’t  been good one win, two draws and three defeats = five points from their last six games. They are 19th in the current form league, while we are 13th with eight points from our last six games. Not since beating Hull City (11 games ago) have they scored twice in a game.

Players who have played for both clubs include Nahki Wells and Junior Bent. In January 2014, Wells signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Huddersfield after transferring for an undisclosed club record, he left when he  signed a three-year deal with Burnley for £5 million on 31 August 2017. Junior Bent began his career with his hometown club Huddersfield Town before joining us in 1990. He became a regular at Ashton Gate and went on to stay for seven years making 221 appearances, he left Bristol City in 1997.

Over the years we have won 24, lost 26 and drawn 11 times against them and have won seven of our last nine games against them.

If you want a ticket here you go: https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/en-GB/events/bristol city v huddersfield town/2021-12-18_15.00/ashton gate stadium?hallmap

To see what they have to say here’s a link to their fans forum: https://downatthemac.proboards.com

Famous fans

• Perhaps the best known Huddersfield Town fan of them all, is actor Patrick Stewart. The legendary star of stage and screen – known more recently for roles in the X-Men and Star Trek movies – is well known as a Terriers fan, and was present for their 2017 Championship play-off win, as well as being named President of the Club’s academy back in 2010.
  • Sticking with the acting theme, and another familiar face to television viewers who supports Huddersfield, is Jodie Whittaker. The actress, perhaps best known for her roles in Broadchurch and as the title character in Doctor Who, was born in Yorkshire, and is reportedly a fan of the Terriers.
  • Ryan Sidebottom may be a former England international cricketer, but he also has a strong link to football, and in particular the Terriers. The bowler’s father, Arnie, played for Huddersfield as a defender between 1975 and 1978, around the time when his son was born, and although he himself went into cricketer, the younger Sidebottom is said to support his dad’s former club.
  • Something of an eyebrow raiser is David Peace.The author, who is perhaps best known for writing the book The Damned Utd, which focuses on Brian Clough’s infamous spell at Leeds United, is in fact a follower of the Terriers.

NP has said that AS is fit, COD is carrying a tight groin and in one interview suggested AK will more likely be back on Boxing Day although he was a little less definitE in another interview, so we will see.

If board games feature as part of your Christmas holidays may I suggest you opt for the Bristol version as per the photos.

Lets hope we can really get in the Christmas mood with a great performance and three points. COYR! 

0ABA2BFF-3764-4122-AACA-E3A45CA017C7.webp

85A451A9-73F8-472F-BB64-63327B97F6C6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Robin 3

Worryingly optimistic.

Since the Blackburn game we have become the very team I thought we were getting when NP came in, mid table performances and results with a mid table squad.

I like the the 3-5-2 and we do actually create chances in that system.

We will probably concede a poor goal but will score a "few" today.

3-1 win.

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No reason not to feel confident going into todays game.

I feel a bit more confident in this system now with Semenyo up top.

It's important that O'Dowda is fit as he gives us so much on that left side.

I rate Pring but he tires so early in games playing in such a demanding position. Unless that improves then that is a problem imo.

Alex Scott could be another option at left wing back. That would then allow Tanner to play right wing back.

Surely Weimann needs to start putting in better performances for him to keep being picked. As Massengo or Scott can offer so much in that attacking midfield role who also both work very hard for the team. And of course Benarous is also an exciting option.

I agree about Semenyo, but I really need him to start hitting the target more often. Has a hammer of a shot, but usually it's the top rows of the stands he troubles. Can be such a threat if he gets his decisions right.
COD sounds like it would be a risk, I'd probably use Pring & DaSilva and almost expect to use a sub. Nice to bring on fresh legs wide.
As we're home I'd be tempted to stick with Scott at WB, if he's 100%. We need more threat and he can give that.
I've been disappointed with Weimann , but TBH I've not taken notice of the off the ball stuff. I do think he needs to give more on it and going forward. Otherwise play another Midfielder. We would lose his hard work, but it may give us a little in other parts.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Wasn't Huddersfield last season the last home win before our losing streak? From memory it was a very fortunate result for us. It was last January and after the game we were just outside the top 6, but it was the last time we would get any points with Holden as manager.

We were completely outplayed and Kalas was absolutely furious about our performance afterwards.

When asked who would win the next game (Derby iirc) he said the team that was coached better. Which told it's own story I thought.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If O’Dowda out today, we might see Conway added to the 18.  Think Nige would go with Pring over Dasilva if that is the case.

Fairly sure JD hasn't got a bus ticket but might make up the numbers on the bench.

Concerned COD being out "tempts" NP into a change of formation !!

Afternoon all from dark and gloomy Tallinn ( except for Christmas lights) plus 4 here today and snow is almost gone, however temperatures are expected to go to minus next week and possibly down to minus 14. All to look forward to, still it's almost Xmas and let's hope the boy's can give us some spirit with a good win today.  In the meantime, please all who are going. stay safe and wear your masks, perhaps someone will invent a mask that you can drink through in safety, then there would be no fear of enjoying the Concourse.  So show Huddersfield what you are made of boys, COYR's

• Like 3
  • Robin 1