IGNORED

Semenyo

Shuffle

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Thought he was superb today and looked a real threat with his strength and pace. Been critical of him in the past but was a handful all game and my mom. Well played Antoine and we forget he’s only 21 so lots more to come.

My City MOTM today.  Nige wants pace and power up front, he’s got one here already….needs another.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A big improvement over previous performances as he managed several shots on target. If he can keep it up…….

Whether you rate him or not we have seen a significant increase in the team's goal threat since he has come back from injury. If we had a younger, more mobile version of Chris Martin alongside him that would increase our threat even more significantly.

• Like 7

Really good.

His first touch was massively improved & he has clearly been told not to be frightened to have a shot, as he did several times today & was really unlucky with the one that hit the post.

If he gets a few goals he will be some player, because he has the pace & strength that will scare defenders.

• Like 3

Agree - he was great. He was 10/1 to score the first goal with William Hill which (although unsuccessful) I thought was great odds. Our best player today by a mile. Great to see some more pace/threat up top. 

Nakhi came on and missed another good chance. Couldn’t finish his dinner that bloke. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Thought he was superb today and looked a real threat with his strength and pace. Been critical of him in the past but was a handful all game and my mom. Well played Antoine and we forget he’s only 21 so lots more to come.

Totally agree. Looks like he's worked on many aspects of his game. Feel like we have a great player coming through next season. 

• Like 2

Assists with both feet, almost broke the post with his weaker left foot too. About time we have someone who isn't so easy to read when we are attacking. 

Hasn't done much wrong since being put up top, keep him there till the end of the season and get him a proper strike partner.

He's only going to get better, let's get behind this lad. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

I had a conversation with a member of Newport's staff when Antoine was on loan there. He was convinced that he had so much ability that he will one day play at the top level.

I don’t see why not but the odds are stacked against him, something incredible would have to happen, I’ve seen hundreds of more skilled footballers not even make it professionally.

It’s nice that he’s got that self belief, that confidence may have taken an absolute battering when he played in the championship for the first time and looked lost, pride comes before a fall and all that.

best of luck to him if that’s what he wants to do.

I like the options that Semenyo and Weimann offer us. 

Flexibility to rotate between formations. The main issue facing us currently is that the two of them are linking up nicely, but Martin is rarely in the box. 

A mobile striker could make for an exciting front three, whilst albeit all 3 players playing narrowly. Add in the width of Benarous and Alex Scott and that's a very decent attack. 

Semenyo is at his best through the middle. He looked a handful during the early phases of the game, and seems eager to get his shots away. 

Another option could be to have COD as the LWB, Scott as RWB and then move Benarous into the '10' role that Weimann currently plays, and try a strike partnership of Weimann and Semenyo. 

13 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Not sure how you see those two working together.

That’s what I’m implying, I don’t think they feel like a natural pairing, but goals / assists output from both (Semenyo - small season sample) they look like offering us a good amount of goals.  But maybe they do?  They both can play in the holes and run the channels.

To me he needs a big target man up front with him

I’m not convinced that a target man is the be-all and end-all.  I think it forces us to play direct, and I think in recent games we’ve shown we are better (low bar) when we try to play.

• Like 4

I have been critical too (I don’t post much and I think my last post was about not thinking he was the answer).

BUT - yesterday he was all pace and power and the defence was terrified of him from the first minute (shame Martin cannot strike that fear but that is another argument).

I hope this is the start of a long period of continuing in the same way and getting better and really making me eat my words !!

However there is that slight concern that my previous post was based on a few false dawns with Antoine about realising his potential but never actually performing consistently so let’s see if he can maintain it - hope so as one of the few joys to watch yesterday!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Meh said:

I have been critical too (I don’t post much and I think my last post was about not thinking he was the answer).

BUT - yesterday he was all pace and power and the defence was terrified of him from the first minute (shame Martin cannot strike that fear but that is another argument).

I hope this is the start of a long period of continuing in the same way and getting better and really making me eat my words !!

However there is that slight concern that my previous post was based on a few false dawns with Antoine about realising his potential but never actually performing consistently so let’s see if he can maintain it - hope so as one of the few joys to watch yesterday!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with having concerns over him. He seems to be a confidence player and you can see by the relief in his face when he finally scored with his foot (although he had to play a one-two with the post) rather than his arse after blocking the goalie and then backed up by his performance yesterday where while he didn't score, he set up two and had a few good strikes.

His style of play is impossible for defenders to predict because I'm not sure Antoine knows what he is going to do next. The way he breezes past players with strength (similar to JET) and then can turn on the pace (not similar to JET) as well as the way he can strike the ball both footed with so much power (similar to JET) is enough to get fans up on their seats and raise the atmosphere in the ground.

The problem with those raw attributes is he is not going to be consistent and we could seeing him going crazy and scoring 7 goals in 4 games, but then not scoring for 5.

Edited by grifty
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

The problem with those raw attributes is he is not going to be consistent and we could seeing him going crazy and scoring 7 goals in 4 games, but then not scoring for 5.

If take that!

He had 6 shots yesterday (not forgetting two assists)….he might be a bit erratic, but in the last 12-18 months that’s more from one player than we e managed as a team in some games!

He gives some hope.  I’m not sure what his ceiling is, physically he probably isn’t gonna get more imposing, so it’s how he develops the techy bits that will dictate how far he goes.

In the equivalent of 4 90min matches this season he has 1 goal / 4 assists.  Definitely gives us a different (and better) dimension.  And I’m sure he’s more the striker version Nige wants.

• Like 1

This will probably mean, the need for a striker in January is diminishing,unless Well’s agent has been working some magic in which case we’d be a forward down.

It is something of a risk with AS because we don’t know if he will maintain his progress and provide us with the necessary goals but it looks promising. 

We have sadly had Conway injured as well so equally we can’t judge if he can do the business regularly as yet.

Twist or stick ? 

It probably depends on who is available and willing to come here. 

• Like 1