IGNORED

Semenyo

Shuffle

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'd like to see him in the lone striker role. I think we should have gone with that 2nd half yesterday and had an extra player in midfield. Or maybe 2 extra in midfield by changing system to 4 at the back.

That would require him to be positionally more disciplined…which would take away lots of the good things he can do by drifting around…and waste what he brings to the team.  Let the boy roam, let him roam!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Yep just going on what Semenyo said himself about what they're working on.

The problem with Martin is he's so slow at getting in the box. If Semenyo doesn't do that enough then we would have little goal threat other than Weimann's runs from midfield.

Maybe he's concentrating more on roaming into the half spaces rather than the wide channels and then being too far away from goal. Who knows exactly.

Maybe Martin isn’t the right partner, rather than having no partner at all…..???

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'd like to see him in the lone striker role. I think we should have gone with that 2nd half yesterday and had an extra player in midfield. Or maybe 2 extra in midfield by changing system to 4 at the back.

The trouble with that is a lone striker scores goals - and Semenyo has not much pedigree there.

THAT SAID, he looked hot to trot yesterday and I agree with those who made him MOTM.

He might evolve into the sort of player you frame him as, but he's not quite there yet.  More games like yesterday and he might yet do so. 

The mans confidence is on the rise.

It shows in his play.

I'd like to see him start the next 5 with Wells, and AW out wide mid.

Martin off the bench for last 20 if we need game management or a goal.

Make him feel like the main man. He clearly is a shy type who has his confidence easily dented - he is now scoring, but more importantly, playing INTELLIGENT football, which he wasn't before. Wells for me, is the one who would thrive on his assists.

The more he assists others, the more he is likely to continue to grow and start to score regularly. 

I rated him a L2 player - Saturday changed my mind - but he must play every game now - preferably alongside Wells, who for all his perceived faults on here CAN finish.

Under NP - Semenyo, Benarous, Conway and Scott et al all now look like players with a future - I'm not sure they would have got the opportunities under Holden and Johnson.

Semenyo is a big positive amongst the negativity and was my MOM saturday.

Last two games I thought he's showed what he is really about, pace, strength, and a goal threat, scoring as well as assisting 2 goals.

I've complained in the past that his feet are quicker than his thought and his touch, and control of the ball are poor, but the last two games that has improved immeasurably. His touch and control on saturday was generally excellent and his awareness was also vastly improved on his past performances, witnessed by his assists.

He's only 21 so the consistency may not yet be there, and its only a couple of games, but there's enough to be optimistic that we have that elusive striker already on the books. The next two or three games we'll find out, but he's looking very much up for the challenge.

I also rate Conway highly and it'll be interesting to see his progress this season as well, and with him, Semenyo, Scott, and Benarous, as well as the potential of Tanner and Atkinson, the future is looking ok.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I also rate Conway highly and it'll be interesting to see his progress this season as well, and with him, Semenyo, Scott, and Benarous, as well as the potential of Tanner and Atkinson, the future is looking ok.

Me too.  Such a shame he’s been injured, and I think he’s gonna take a while to get back into a position to get regular minutes this season, but he has something imho.

Youre right, Tanner, Atkinson, Massengo, Scott, Benarous, Semenyo and Conway is something to look forward to, coupled with the right players around them.

52 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Semenyo is a big positive amongst the negativity and was my MOM saturday.

Last two games I thought he's showed what he is really about, pace, strength, and a goal threat, scoring as well as assisting 2 goals.

I've complained in the past that his feet are quicker than his thought and his touch, and control of the ball are poor, but the last two games that has improved immeasurably. His touch and control on saturday was generally excellent and his awareness was also vastly improved on his past performances, witnessed by his assists.

He's only 21 so the consistency may not yet be there, and its only a couple of games, but there's enough to be optimistic that we have that elusive striker already on the books. The next two or three games we'll find out, but he's looking very much up for the challenge.

It was interesting to hear Pearson make a distinction between a good dribbler with the ball, and a good runner with the ball. Semenyo being firmly in the latter category .
He does look ungainly when he runs with it, but can be effective.  I'd like to see him with the more mobile Weimann up front, or let them both have their heads. They would be tough to keep an eye on. AW mobile clever and AS strong and quick. Would make a nice change.
I don't want to get ahead of myself with Conway, but to me he does look a class act. Technically very good, clever movement and an eye for goal. Just hope he comes back with no lasting effects.

• Like 4