IGNORED

Todays gate

DT The Optimist

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Looking at other forums Covid had a huge impact across the country. Many fans reporting 'gates' of about 60% of tickets actually sold.

Covid will be a small part 

put it this way….if the football was better and we were top 4, we would have had a lot more there today 

People are staying away mainly because they have had enough. It’s been 4 years of absolute dross 

**** me!

People used to moan back in the early 90s when attendances were announced as clearly lower than they were.

Now people are questioning why Season Ticket holders who have paid for a ticket to the game have been included in the attendance?

Who genuinely gives a shit and why?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

put it this way….if the football was better and we were top 4, we would have had a lot more there today 

People are staying away mainly because they have had enough. It’s been 4 years of absolute dross 

It’s been worse and people still attend.

I know of 3 season ticket holders that didn’t go today - none was because of the “absolute dross” as they have attended most games this season already knowing that most games will be awful, all were because of COVID for one reason or another (all triple vaccinated before we go down that rabbit hole).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

**** me!

People used to moan back in the early 90s when attendances were announced as clearly lower than they were.

Now people are moaning because Season Ticket holders who have paid for a ticket to the game have been included in the attendance.

Who genuinely gives a shit, and why?

Curiosity, see what can be deduced for the numbers (how many are staying away because of COVID) etc.

8 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Just saying something doesn’t make it true. Covid is not a “small part”. A sudden, dramatic fall in attendance isn’t explained merely by poor form - we’ve been average at home for years.

Look at the “Not going Saturday” thread for a much more obvious explanation. There are numerous posts from ordinarily loyal season ticket holders explaining that they chose not to attend because of extremely high Covid rates and the potential to have to isolate over Christmas.

Expect a recovery in attendance after Christmas (assuming we’re still allowed to go) once there is less at stake. I didn’t go yesterday because we have Christmas plans we don’t want ruined, but have tickets for Millwall and fully intend to be there.

• Like 3

So if I understand this right.  

We are trying to pull a fast one, by announcing more people in/tickets sold , than we actually have ? I know in times gone by there was some "poetic Licence" with figures. Announce less than were there, all cash, so hide it and no Tax etc. More money for the Club. I'm not following the idea we say there are more there than we sold though, with everything involved I'm not sure this scam is a winner.

I wonder if they actually bother keeping the data of 'bums on seats' . The figure they need for accounts is tickets sold, so I guess this is the one they go with.

9 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Not for me, I didn’t go purely because it of covid. I didn’t want to increase the risk of having to self isolate over Christmas.

I still wouldn’t have gone even if we were top of the league

• Like 2

It used to be that when attendances were announced some would reckon that there were more in the ground and that it was a tax fiddle. Now we announce the number that had actually paid to be there that's a problem as well. It must be as frustrating as hell running this football club.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There must be an `actual` figure recorded somewhere if for no other reason than it would be needed afterwards should there be a major incident like a fire or a terrorist attack.

They do keep an 'actual' figure, they released them the year of the cup run, not sure what the reason was but think it was something to do with parking issues with BCC.

13 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Agree with you. Why oh why do we have this nonsense of stating an attendance which includes no shows. If that is the case. Perhaps the 12000 season tickets holders did show and there were no pay on the day?    Wonder if that is the same with all clubs doing this. Cannot see what’s gained by doing this 

The club are able to calculate the actual attendance via the turnstile scanners.

However, because of VAT, HMRC and probably police, they also know how many bought match day tickets and the total number of season tickets. This is the announced attendance figure as whether a paid for ticket is used or not is irrelevant.

I imagine that policing and stewarding numbers are based on anticipated attendance.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, weepywall said:

They do keep an 'actual' figure, they released them the year of the cup run, not sure what the reason was but think it was something to do with parking issues with BCC.

Ah, yes. I do remember that. We had to show that the attendance had not exceeded a certain figure for a certain number of consecutive games otherwise we would have had to put some sort of transport plan in place.

40 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There must be an `actual` figure recorded somewhere if for no other reason than it would be needed afterwards should there be a major incident like a fire or a terrorist attack.

Yes they definitely know the correct figure.

As I’ve mentioned before there was a snow effected game that was was a few thousand less than the figure announced on the day. About the time of the beast from the east I think. 

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Ah, yes. I do remember that. We had to show that the attendance had not exceeded a certain figure for a certain number of consecutive games otherwise we would have had to put some sort of transport plan in place.

That's it ! Most games were showing a big difference in announced attendance and actual attendance, Sheffield Wednesday game had an announced crowd of 22k but there were only 15k in the ground although I think that was due to heavy snow in the area. I'm sure I have read somewhere that between 10 and 20% of season ticket holders can be expected not to attend any given game.

34 minutes ago, weepywall said:

That's it ! Most games were showing a big difference in announced attendance and actual attendance, Sheffield Wednesday game had an announced crowd of 22k but there were only 15k in the ground although I think that was due to heavy snow in the area. I'm sure I have read somewhere that between 10 and 20% of season ticket holders can be expected not to attend any given game.

It is something like that percentage and the club must take it into account when getting stewards in, catering supplies etc. They`d be daft to assume 100% st attendance and end up over providing.