Jump to content
IGNORED

Inciting the fans.


Rich
 Share

Recommended Posts

When did match officials stop booking players for inciting the fans, or does it still happen? I know they book players for taking their shirts off and other petty infringements but, has there been a change in officiating this?

We've seen it twice recently where there's been very little, or not that I've heard, goading of certain players yet, those players from two different teams, have stood in front of the opposition supporters and gone way over the top in their celebrations and goading of those in front of them. They have to have some responsibility for the reactions they get, the one today was particularly vociferous, resulting in lots of people losing their normal self control. I know there's always been the wind up merchants like Billy Sharp but, is this becoming more frequent?

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

When did match officials stop booking players for inciting the fans, or does it still happen? I know they book players for taking their shirts off and other petty infringements but, has there been a change in officiating this?

We've seen it twice recently where there's been very little, or not that I've heard, goading of certain players yet, those players from two different teams, have stood in front of the opposition supporters and gone way over the top in their celebrations and goading of those in front of them. They have to have some responsibility for the reactions they get, the one today was particularly vociferous, resulting in lots of people losing their normal self control. I know there's always been the wind up merchants like Billy Sharp but, is this becoming more frequent?

Yes. It’s a societal issue. Keyboard warriors are everywhere (:laugh:) and this is an extension of that, I can goad you and you can’t do anything mindset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Poor little fans happy to give the manual manipulator sign and dogs abuse to players but go crying when they get some back. Grow a pair

Are you asking me to grow a pair?

I'm just interested if anyone knows whether the policy of booking players for inciting the crowd has changed. If you'd actually read my post, you'd have seen that I mentioned that those players in particular were not subject to any of those things you refer to, as far as I know. I certainly don't mind a player giving it the hand to ear or having a go back to the crowd if they've been abused, I certainly would with gusto.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Oh no you can't.

Oh yes I can. 
 

Have you been giving out abuse Rich? 

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Poor little fans happy to give the manual manipulator sign and dogs abuse to players but go crying when they get some back. Grow a pair

And I rest my case Your Honour! Or have I just been wooshed!

:laugh:!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incident alert .... after the Huddersfield goal their player ran towards the Lansdown Stand Cupping his ears. Que a lot of abuse. However after all settled down a guy half way down the stand was livid with a lot of finger pointing at another fan a few rows behind him. This escalated to him talking to a steward. More stewards arrived and spoke to the erroneous guy. Meanwhile the guy who was offended was going appaplectic with rage. More stewards arrive and eventually they escorted the erroneous guy out.

Whilst I did not hear what was said it appeared a racist slur was used. Well done to the City stewards for putting the zero tolerance rule into action.

 

Edited by BBlockExile
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BBlockExile said:

Incident alert .... after the Huddersfield goal their player ran towards the Lansdown Stand Cupping his ears. Que a lot of abuse. However after all settled down a guy half way down the stand was livid with a lot of finger pointing at another fan a few rows behind him. This escalated to him talking to a steward. More stewards arrived and spoke to the erroneous guy. Meanwhile the guy who was offended was going appaplectic with rage. More stewards arrive and eventually they escorted the erroneous guy out.

Whilst I did not hear what was said it appeared a racist slur was used. Well done to the City stewards for putting the zero tolerance rule into action.

 

You didn’t hear what was said?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Law 12 is pretty specific on the subject.

Is cupping ears excessive? Not if the person gesturing has been systematically abused previously, I'd argue. Making offensive gestures would be but gesturing, 'what was that you said?' that's deserved in my book.

Note proscribing removal of shirts or covering faces was directly in response to complaints from sponsors, nothing about being excessive or provocative. Sponsors pay a fortune so sure as hell want the camera to closely focus on the centre of attention, images to be repeated long after their sponsorship may have lapsed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BBlockExile said:

Whilst I did not hear what was said it appeared a racist slur was used. Well done to the City stewards for putting the zero tolerance rule into action.

Was this separate from the bottle throwing? Did it happen around the same time? City issued a statement to the media (not on OS) after the game, which GT read out on the radio. This seemed to imply that someone who threw a bottle was ejected from the stadium by stewards and immediately arrested by the police.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Was this separate from the bottle throwing? Did it happen around the same time? City issued a statement to the media (not on OS) after the game, which GT read out on the radio. This seemed to imply that someone who threw a bottle was ejected from the stadium by stewards and immediately arrested by the police.

You’d be able to read a separate thread all about that incident, had it not been merged into the final few pages of the match day thread. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Poor little fans happy to give the manual manipulator sign and dogs abuse to players but go crying when they get some back. Grow a pair

Poor little fans happy to give manual manipulator signs and massive abuse to players but cry when they get it back. 

Please don't use the phrase "grow a pair" again, it's incredibly annoying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pity the stewards weren’t better in the lower Dolman. Couldn’t believe the language today. Obviously a few Neanderthals behind us were drunk as they shouted obscenities from start to finish. A Grandad with his Grandson behind me said he was even frightened to look at them as all they wanted was attention. So we had All the obscenities you could think of but when we finally had a look there was a primary school aged child in the middle of them. I really do fear for the future of this country ! 

Edited by alandicks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Players give it the big un on the pitch as do fans in the stand. I sit in the Dolman, don’t judge me, and regularly laugh at some people who get all het up stand and gesticulate at the away fans threatening to come over and invite them outside,I presume for a coffee and chat, when in all reality they are just big pussies who don’t need a covid pass but a brain cell pass. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/12/2021 at 21:49, BBlockExile said:

Incident alert .... after the Huddersfield goal their player ran towards the Lansdown Stand Cupping his ears. Que a lot of abuse. However after all settled down a guy half way down the stand was livid with a lot of finger pointing at another fan a few rows behind him. This escalated to him talking to a steward. More stewards arrived and spoke to the erroneous guy. Meanwhile the guy who was offended was going appaplectic with rage. More stewards arrive and eventually they escorted the erroneous guy out.

Whilst I did not hear what was said it appeared a racist slur was used. Well done to the City stewards for putting the zero tolerance rule into action.

 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/bristol-city-fan-tells-stood-6381294?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=bcfc_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...