IGNORED

Could we cash in on Weimann?

BCFCGav

Bit of an ‘out there’ shout but with Andi being on course for an 18 goal season (9 at the half way point), still with a relentless work rate and having a few years left in him at 30, is there a chance we can cash in in January? We all know we need some incoming cash from transfers but naturally we don’t want to lose Scott, Massengo, Benarous, Semenyo as they could all have a big say in our (potential) future successes. Further, I’m sure that Martin, Wells, Semenyo and Conway is enough firepower to see us safe. Could a top 6 Championship club or a team abroad be tempted? How much could we get?

Side note, I’m a big fan of Weimann, just thinking about what’s best for the club. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

In my opinion we'd me mad to accept an offer for him in January. I don't share your confidence that Martin, Wells, Semenyo and Conway can deliver the 20 - 25 goals we need to stay safe.

The summer is a different kettle of fish, but to sell him next month would be short termism in the extreme imo.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 12

Having watched Man City and now Liverpool (missing key players) today we have a million miles to go to to get even in the same league. Selling the likes of Weimann wont get us anywhere fast, its going to be a long, long, long, long build.Channel 9 Reaction GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I think we will try and cash in on Wells, Palmer & Dasilva. Regrettably I think Massengo also. Weimann we need to keep.

I'm not sure 'cash in' would be the right phrase for the ex-Chelsea pair, more 'give away' or 'get shot'. Can't see any incoming cash there. 

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Like 6

With Wells, Dasilva and Palmer barely featuring and presumably on high wages they are the ones we need to shift. Weimann is at an age where I don’t think we’d get much for him if we sold him, plus he’s a key player who it would be very difficult to replace.

I agree that Massengo is our main asset financially, but I really hope we don’t cash in. His energy in midfield is essential, with James lacking mobility, King needing to be used carefully, Bakinson being inconsistent and Williams in and out through injury. 

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I think we will try and cash in on Wells, Palmer & Dasilva. Regrettably I think Massengo also. Weimann we need to keep.

I just can’t see money coming in for any of them bar Massengo. And if whispers are true we really need incoming cash. Buyers will know their situation and tell us to sod off if we start chasing fees.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think we'd get any decent offers for Weimann. The suggestion doesn't deserve confused emojis though imo.

I think it’s a good idea! Still we like a debate on here, so I don’t mind a few funky emojis coming my way ?

A truly bizarre suggestion.

We gave the man a 3 year contact inspite of him having a serious injury.  He's 30 and a solid Championship player so hardly going to rake in a huge transfer fee especially given prevailing Covid financial insecurity.  It would take a massive fee for this to be worth our while.  He's not my favourite player but he's been on the pitch for about 99% of our league season.  That would take some replacing.

Far more likely a bid of several million for Scott or Benarous being accepted.  They are hardly intrinisc players but their potential could tempt a big club to find some spare change to chuck our way.

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the problem with selling Weimann would be that the first thing we'd need to do with the money would be to replace Weimann. Could we actually do that for less than we'd get for him? 

Brownhill scenario all over again.

Under valued and essential player for our team leaves and only then does it become apparent to many how important they were.

Best player in our squad by a country mile. 

Although he can spend quite a lot of time doing some simple things badly (first touch for example), he’s 7th highest scorer in the Championship, plus some assists and I don’t think for a minute that other teams enjoy playing against him. Strikes me as archetypally more valuable to us than we’d get for him - can’t see us replacing his goals, assists and work-rate for what we’d get for him, so wouldn’t be on my January to do list. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For interest, here’s Weimann’s stats this season based on starting position:

Forward: 12 starts / 4 goals / 3 assists

Midfield / Wide / No10: 11 starts / 5 goals / 1 assist

We often moan about goals from midfield don’t we!

9 goals and 4 assists in 23 starts, with the midfield he's got behind him...they're impressive numbers. No penalties as well, all from open play.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

9 goals and 4 assists in 23 starts, with the midfield he's got behind him...they're impressive numbers. No penalties as well, all from open play.

30 in 124 for us I think, wonder how many more if played as an out and out striker more often (notwithstanding DaveFevs’ point re scoring from midfield!)? The run he made for the first yesterday was a proper striker’s run - immediately on his bike, then pulling to the back post slightly - to give himself a sitter, very few at the club (anyone?) makes those types of runs. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

30 in 124 for us I think, wonder how many more if played as an out and out striker more often (notwithstanding DaveFevs’ point re scoring from midfield!)? The run he made for the first yesterday was a proper striker’s run - immediately on his bike, then pulling to the back post slightly - to give himself a sitter, very few at the club (anyone?) makes those types of runs. 

30 for us yeh, not sure how many games so defer to your 124. 1 in 4 isn't bad at all considering he's played so many minutes and in so many different positions and partnerships. A few injuries in his 4 seasons with us as well.

Needs 2 more goals to record his best ever goalscoring season.

• Like 2

I’d be over the moon if we got a fee for Weimann. He has the goals(only scored in 4-5 games however) but he is dreadful on the ball. Passes behind players constantly. Needs 2-3 touches to get it under control half the time. Which is weird because he has the ability to do the spectacular like the winner against Cardiff. In a straight pick between weimann and paterson I’d have kept pato easily. I like good a good work rate as much as anyone but I do like my players to have footballing ability as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d be over the moon if we got a fee for Weimann. He has the goals(only scored in 4-5 games however) but he is dreadful on the ball. Passes behind players constantly. Needs 2-3 touches to get it under control half the time. Which is weird because he has the ability to do the spectacular like the winner against Cardiff. In a straight pick between weimann and paterson I’d have kept pato easily. I like good a good work rate as much as anyone but I do like my players to have footballing ability as well

We miss Weimann whenever he isn’t playing. Tbh it’s the service he gets. Our strikers hardly get a sniff because half the time it’s a ping up the line from Vyner. In my opinion we need different coaches because this football has been the same for 3 years. 

• Like 1