IGNORED

Could we cash in on Weimann?

BCFCGav

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

It seems odd to say this based on performances but I guess Weimann is half way to being player of the season.

Would be his to lose surely? There's a few others who have had the odd decent game, or maybe a run of good games, but over all 23 matches (of which Weimann has played every minute) he's surely player of the (half) season.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d be over the moon if we got a fee for Weimann. He has the goals(only scored in 4-5 games however) but he is dreadful on the ball. Passes behind players constantly. Needs 2-3 touches to get it under control half the time. Which is weird because he has the ability to do the spectacular like the winner against Cardiff. In a straight pick between weimann and paterson I’d have kept pato easily. I like good a good work rate as much as anyone but I do like my players to have footballing ability as well

I was wondering ages back how long before AW would be criticised for scoring too many goals in the same match.
He may not have scored in that many matches, however, in most he will 3 or 4 times leave defences for dead, beating the offside trap, to put himself in a likely scoring/ assist position, only for a safe  pass to be made out to the left or back to midfield.
The times it does go to him, the pass is usually delayed and he's had to check his run and has a defender on top of him. Not his forte.
So should we play to his weaknesses and criticise him, or look to aiding what he does better than most? (Same applies to other criticised players.)

Excluding penalties, only 4 Championship players have scored more and only one has provided more assists. I also suspect they get better service and a hell of a lot more opportunities. Also with not following those clubs, I'm totally unaware how much of the boring stuff they're expected to do.
Sure I'd be happier if A.W. danced round defenders like Salah, but unfortunately, complete footballers are beyond our budget. Until then I'll happily settle for Andi.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

If we did sign a “20 goal striker” that actually scored 20 goals, we’d be happy for him to do little else except put the ball in the net.  Tammy was a bit like that in some respects.

Weimann has 9 in 23…and offers a lot more.  He has been “in and out” form wise.  The stupid thing is he could give us more!

As for transfer value, I don’t think anyone would be after him, so I don’t think he has much of one if any.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d be over the moon if we got a fee for Weimann. He has the goals(only scored in 4-5 games however) but he is dreadful on the ball. Passes behind players constantly. Needs 2-3 touches to get it under control half the time. Which is weird because he has the ability to do the spectacular like the winner against Cardiff. In a straight pick between weimann and paterson I’d have kept pato easily. I like good a good work rate as much as anyone but I do like my players to have footballing ability as well

His pass with outside right foot to Wells scoring winner vs QPR, his goals shows that he has footballing ability.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

In my opinion we'd me mad to accept an offer for him in January. I don't share your confidence that Martin, Wells, Semenyo and Conway can deliver the 20 - 25 goals we need to stay safe.

The summer is a different kettle of fish, but to sell him next month would be short termism in the extreme imo.

Absolutely right Ajax....could be a suicidal move.

I'd be prepared/happy to see us cash in on Bentley,,if at all possible - we would apart from NOT losing our top scorer be able to negotiate a much higher fee - plus wed need to see that cash reinvested on the playing side as close to 100% as possible.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

Despite being our current top scorer and one of our most consistent performers, no player is unsellable due to our FFP position as likely we will still need to sell more than buy. And there are other reasons too - 

Age 30 - this could possibly be the best (and only time) we could potentially get a decent fee for him. 
Wages - again he must be one of the highest earners at the club
Position - he’s currently playing as an attacking midfielder, don’t we have an ambundance of players who could play in his position like Scott, Benaryous, Palmer or even Massengo.

There is literally no player as this club now who (for different reasons) I would object to leaving. 

• Hmmm 1

11 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

30 in 124 for us I think, wonder how many more if played as an out and out striker more often (notwithstanding DaveFevs’ point re scoring from midfield!)? The run he made for the first yesterday was a proper striker’s run - immediately on his bike, then pulling to the back post slightly - to give himself a sitter, very few at the club (anyone?) makes those types of runs. 

I'd give Martin a breather - play Andi the machine 'up top for a few matches...his movement at times is very clever..

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Age 30 - this could possibly be the best (and only time) we could potentially get a decent fee for him. 

Wasn't he effectively out of contract in the summer? We renegotiated instead of activating the "extra year" , and so reduced his wages. Doesn't scream saleable asset really. Very few teams will be willing to pay money for a player with no future value, and then pay more than we are in wages. 

• Like 3

Let me preface this by saying I love Weimans commitment, effort and commitment.

This might be an unpopular opinion but the fact Weiman is our first choice striker sums up what we need to improve if we ever want to get promoted. 

Someone will quote back his goals but to be a truly top team we need to get to a position where weiman is 4th choice and on the bench. We need players who are a real threat and defenders fear and I dont think any championship teams are particularly concerned about Weiman .

Also, let me be clear I'm.not criticising weiman, he IS our first choice striker and justifiably so.   I'm just saying as a club we need to aspire to be much better going forward. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BigTone said:

I think we will try and cash in on Wells, Palmer & Dasilva. Regrettably I think Massengo also. Weimann we need to keep.

W, P & D may as well go imo but sadly I think you could be right about Massengo, I fear a lot bigger/better clubs than us will be knocking on the door.

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but the fact Weiman is our first choice striker sums up what we need to improve if we ever want to get promoted. 

Someone will quote back his goals but to be a truly top team we need to get to a position where weiman is 4th choice and on the bench. We need players who are a real threat and defenders fear and I dont think any championship teams are particularly concerned about Weiman .

Also, let me be clear I'm.not criticising weiman, he IS our first choice striker and justifiably so.   I'm just saying as a club we need to aspire to be much better going forward. 

Yeah, but we are a million miles away from being a promotion team.  If Nige delivers a team in year 3 that is capable of challenging for promotion, then the likes of Weimann are unlikely to be anywhere near starting each week.  But his record this season in a struggling team is bloody excellent.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If we did sign a “20 goal striker” that actually scored 20 goals, we’d be happy for him to do little else except put the ball in the net.  Tammy was a bit like that in some respects.

Weimann has 9 in 23…and offers a lot more.  He has been “in and out” form wise.  The stupid thing is he could give us more!

As for transfer value, I don’t think anyone would be after him, so I don’t think he has much of one if any.

Silly comment Dave.

However, I must admit until I came on here, I was unaware they existed too, but we'd only go for a "Guaranteed 20 goal a season striker"

Full refund if they don't, can't go wrong. (Apparently.)

Edited by MJP3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

I'm happy for other teams to not fear Weimann if he keeps scoring goals against them ? I think opposition defences may dislike playing against Weimann more than you think. IMO his movement in the final third is excellent.

As you anticipated, I will quote his goals - he's currently on track for 18 goals and 8 assists this season. That's brilliant for a bottom third side, and would still be very good in a top 6 team!

Perhaps it's easy for some of our fans to turn their noses up at Weimann as he's not an especially "sexy" attacking player, but we're a long way off being in a position where his current standard isn't good enough for us.

3 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

I'm just saying as a club we need to aspire to be much better going forward. 

Also, just a thought on your last line:

Our defending is statistically our biggest issue - that's holding us back more than our attacking play at the moment.

Weimann might quite reasonably argue "I scored twice on Saturday, the reason we lost the game is because we conceded 3 soft goals"

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

Posts like the initial one are crackers.

No one in The Championship is spending money, unless you got relegated from The Prem last season.

All this talk of “cashing in” on someone is frankly just embarrassing. It is 2021, not 2018.                        

Who do they think is buying? Birmingham? Whose manager has just been told there is no money in January? Preston? Millwall? Coventry? These comparable clubs will be looking at loans at best.

Weimann is currently by far our likeliest scorer, has played every minute of the season in the league & signed a 3 year deal this summer.

Pearson might well & try to offload a few others next month, you don’t have to be a genius to work out who, so let’s just see how easy that proves, eh?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Bit of an ‘out there’ shout but with Andi being on course for an 18 goal season (9 at the half way point), still with a relentless work rate and having a few years left in him at 30, is there a chance we can cash in in January? We all know we need some incoming cash from transfers but naturally we don’t want to lose Scott, Massengo, Benarous, Semenyo as they could all have a big say in our (potential) future successes. Further, I’m sure that Martin, Wells, Semenyo and Conway is enough firepower to see us safe. Could a top 6 Championship club or a team abroad be tempted? How much could we get?

Side note, I’m a big fan of Weimann, just thinking about what’s best for the club. 

This would be an act of self harm at the moment, I'd give Wells away though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

His pass with outside right foot to Wells scoring winner vs QPR, his goals shows that he has footballing ability.

That one moment makes up for the 20 chances we don’t get because he can’t control a ball or pass into someone’s stride. We’d be better without him playing every minute of every game. 

19 hours ago, MJP3 said:

I was wondering ages back how long before AW would be criticised for scoring too many goals in the same match.
He may not have scored in that many matches, however, in most he will 3 or 4 times leave defences for dead, beating the offside trap, to put himself in a likely scoring/ assist position, only for a safe  pass to be made out to the left or back to midfield.
The times it does go to him, the pass is usually delayed and he's had to check his run and has a defender on top of him. Not his forte.
So should we play to his weaknesses and criticise him, or look to aiding what he does better than most? (Same applies to other criticised players.)

Excluding penalties, only 4 Championship players have scored more and only one has provided more assists. I also suspect they get better service and a hell of a lot more opportunities. Also with not following those clubs, I'm totally unaware how much of the boring stuff they're expected to do.
Sure I'd be happier if A.W. danced round defenders like Salah, but unfortunately, complete footballers are beyond our budget. Until then I'll happily settle for Andi.

Problem is he isn’t often the main striker but the provider himself. This is where he is severely lacking. In the lead up to huddersfield’s second, he had the opportunity to play in Semenyo for a chance. Passed behind him and AS had to try and readjust but couldn’t. They got the ball back and scored on the counter. That sums up Weimann for me. He scored 2 the other day and didn’t help with much else. Which is fine if he was playing up top. He wasn’t though and I feel he was a main cause of Huddersfield playing through us. 

I respect your opinion on him though. I just am not a fan. If he was just a squad player I’d have no qualms with him. 

9 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

This probably sums Weimann up best for me. 

LJ, Holden and now NP plays him every game. Our team is not good therefore AD plays every game. He is our top scorer and will not be sold at the moment. Opinions are different but in my eyes he is one of our best players. Not Messi offcause but in our team I think he does a good job. Lately when James and Semenyo is in the team we have some structure in offensiv play. Before, long balls over midfield to Martin or Weimann, difficault to do something with those passes for any forward.