IGNORED

Towler recalled

CyderInACan

26 minutes ago, shelts said:

Some of our defending looks like it belongs on the Downs, he’s an upgrade!!

Won’t disagree with that. Shambolic some of it. Could it be possible he’s cover if baker is out long term . Maybe looking for someone possibly a loan in Jan then letting him go back out again . Pure guesswork of course. I would of thought Pring would be next in line for the left sided centre half 

2 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

I don’t get people saying get him in the team. He went on loan to the conference. Obviously he won’t be ready for championship football constantly. We actually need quality 

We watched him play.

People have short memories.

Looks good in the ball ‘but’ far to weak for this level at the moment.

Maybe in another year 18 months

Needs a loan at min league 2 and then maybe even another go at L1.

No chance he is our answer to LB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

But when was he due back ? Feels a tad early. 

January, we weren’t advised the date in January though.  There was a clause that we could recall him once he’d been there 28 days.  So looks like we’ve used that clause rather than the loan end date.

Not at all sure on this one.

The initial loan spell is up next month and we could recall at anytime (as we have done) should there be a Covid outbreak or whatever.

Fine if there's a plan and need for him immediately, however, I hope Nige isn't messing him about just to provide an extra rap on the knuckles for the current defenders.

I'm not saying he is, as usual I don't know. We shall see.

It's good, positive to see young players getting their chance- but he is still pretty inexperienced for a start and it's a big leap from Conference to Championship.

Not an option now but I'm inclined to think let him continue development at Grimsby- if he's out of the side, he can try to play his way back in- if there is a higher loan lined up that could work too, but in a career you will have periods where form isn't great, or for whatever reason you're suddenly out of favour and though we want him to get regular gametime, having it guaranteed- I dunno playing his way back in could be useful too.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Won’t disagree with that. Shambolic some of it. Could it be possible he’s cover if baker is out long term . Maybe looking for someone possibly a loan in Jan then letting him go back out again . Pure guesswork of course. I would of thought Pring would be next in line for the left sided centre half 

I do like the look of Pring he looks tidy . Towlers time will come 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

January, we weren’t advised the date in January though.  There was a clause that we could recall him once he’d been there 28 days.  So looks like we’ve used that clause rather than the loan end date.

I guess as he wasn't guaranteed a start, he may as well be here training with the first team. Cover until Cundy is fit, or ready for a higher loan.

It would be very unfair to rely on a 19 year old with barely any experience at this level to be the answer to our defensive woes. As we all know It’s experience and know how that we need right now and with the greatest of respect to Towler I just can’t see him making any real difference.

As others have said I’d imagine he has been brought back to just bolster the numbers if anything. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Take a look at Grimsbys website. Their fans were impressed with him and wanted to keep the player. Some saying he has a great future at a higher level.

Which is exactly the sort of news we should be expecting with the greatest of respect. If Towler couldn’t drop down to the conference and shine then something would be seriously wrong.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not entirely.

I hadn't realised just how calamitous Grimsby's fall had been. Top of the table in late October, but lost 7 of the 8 games thereafter.

Towler's played in the majority of those losses, most recently 3-2 loss to Dagenham & Redbridge a fortnight ago, which saw them slip to 8th.

None of it screams wanting him back to play for City to me.

And yet,Robbo, do you not feel a tinge  of concern that you might be wrong?

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Possible multitude of reasons (all speculative from me):

- Baker story is true

- Atkinson long-Covid

- Left back cover (Dasilva off in January)

- general covid squad cover, more bodies the merrier

He'd had a good loan at Grimsby until recently.

Dave you message content is normally based on good based thought and opinion. But these appears to be pure speculation unless you have a very good inside source.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And yet,Robbo, do you not feel a tinge  of concern that you might be wrong?

It isn't really a case of just an opinion. We saw him earlier this season. He wasn't horrendous, but he didn't shine either. Then he went on loan to a side three tiers down from us and although the loan started well, the entire team seemed to self-destruct two months ago and fans there say Towler has "lost confidence".

None of this suggests to me, he'd be a great addition to our backline right now.

That's not to say he might not be at a future date. I'm not writing anyone off. His career has only just begun. 

7 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Holy shit what a shower of shit our football club has become, I see the media team have been posting our Man U victory!! It’s actually nearly 4 ******* years since we’ve played well and had a decent team, 4 ******* years!!! ******* shambles!!!

This is the ‘ Towler on the sea recall ‘ thread ! 
Keep up Lino. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Few rumours up here of a potential stop to National League again so would make sense for Towler to get a league move. 

Someone on here DMd to say might be a recall because of the “professional standing” rules, e.g. if we can recall a player from loan to ensure we have sufficient players, then we should recall them.  Towler is classed as a pro as a result of the games he played last season.  Bell might be recalled too, although there’s probably less of a rush to recall him.  He is now past his 28 day clause at Grimsby.

11 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Didnt we do exactly that with Paterson, the fifth beatle defender who scored one in one of our 90s relegation seasons, he then went to be a cult hero for someone like Fulham to stop them being relegated?

We've got form for this

What I've seen of Towler is he is good enough, just needs stability and not constantly moved about week in week out. 

Scott Paterson?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It isn't really a case of just an opinion. We saw him earlier this season. He wasn't horrendous, but he didn't shine either. Then he went on loan to a side three tiers down from us and although the loan started well, the entire team seemed to self-destruct two months ago and fans there say Towler has "lost confidence".

None of this suggests to me, he'd be a great addition to our backline right now.

That's not to say he might not be at a future date. I'm not writing anyone off. His career has only just begun. 

you missed my point- I meant concern that NP is indeed bringing him back precisely to add him back into the 1st team straight away which ordinarily would be bonkers.

I don’t believe Towler is expecting to come back and play first team. He’s said to be expecting to move on to a league club loan. 
Although I also hear he didn’t know much about the recall until it happened. So the players themselves don’t really know too much as to the where’s and what-fors until they are pretty much done. 

• Like 2