IGNORED

Boxing Day day games already beginning to be called off for Covid and FA Cup replays scrapped

Lanterne Rouge

9 hours ago, MarcusX said:

The demands are much higher now and the science has improved dramatically. Just because it was done in the past doesn't make it right.

It can take upto 48 hours to recover after a competitive game, and upto 72 hours for performance markers to return to "peak" levels. That;s just muscular recovery, doesn't account for knocks and injuries

Factor in that that's assuming perfect recovery protocol which isn't always the case. I was lucky enough to spend the day with an England footballer recently, he'd played the night before and I asked him about recovery. It was an 8pm kick off at home, he got back to his house about 2 hours after the end of the game, but then didn't get to sleep until about 5am because of the adrenaline etc from the game. He was up at 7am to do the school run, and then had the day with us fulfilling sponsorship dutires. That's going to seriously impair recovery

Of course they are very much pampered compared to the game 50 years ago, but looking after players bodies has to be a good thing right?

But they get paid £20k p.w. For 90 minutes ???

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 22A said:

On the 5.00pm news some Prem Managers were moaning that they have to play if poss and over Christmas that's three games in just five or six days with only 14 players. But we keep being told today's players are much fitter than those of previous generations. Hmmm; 3 games in 4 days at Christmas and Easter. No subs before 1965 and then only 1.

I think part of the reason players are fitter and stay fitter, in general, is because they arnt getting flogged playing too many games as the science is now understood and re overt is important if you want your players performing.  Back in the day players used to play on when injured as that’s what was done, and end up having to retire or finish playing much earlier due to injury (Cheesley running up and down the Dolman steps to gain fitness is an example of poor understanding).  They get paid a fortune but they are also worth a fortune and cannot and should not play too many games without appropriate rest.  The Xmas games are a joke really, no need for them at all apart really.

5 hours ago, Redinthehead said:

I think that's possible. I find it weird in these situations over the past year or so that the first step isn't to stop away fans travelling before going behind closed doors. Given the infection rates in London and that our next few games are an away game close to London and two London based teams at home, that surely can't be good for stopping the spread of the variant?

... and straight after those games we play Fulham twice in a week ...

15 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think part of the reason players are fitter and stay fitter, in general, is because they arnt getting flogged playing too many games as the science is now understood and re overt is important if you want your players performing.  Back in the day players used to play on when injured as that’s what was done, and end up having to retire or finish playing much earlier due to injury (Cheesley running up and down the Dolman steps to gain fitness is an example of poor understanding).  They get paid a fortune but they are also worth a fortune and cannot and should not play too many games without appropriate rest.  The Xmas games are a joke really, no need for them at all apart really.

The Christmas and New Year football tradition is an essential, wonderful part of the game in these islands. Big seasonal crowds thankful to get out and do something after a day of the mother/father/other-in-law etc. Rugby too - there will be 70,000 plus at Twickenham this holiday for a club game.

Who or what is the game for - the players, or the payers?

How about they use every one of their squad over the hols and continue to put on a spectacle for the paying public?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The Christmas and New Year football tradition is an essential, wonderful part of the game in these islands. Big seasonal crowds thankful to get out and do something after a day of the mother/father/other-in-law etc. Rugby too - there will be 70,000 plus at Twickenham this holiday for a club game.

Who or what is the game for - the players, or the payers?

How about they use every one of their squad over the hols and continue to put on a spectacle for the paying public?

Depends who you are talking about, doesn’t it?

I said that earlier in the month Gillingham were travelling away to several league games with just 4 available subs, 3 of whom had never featured before this season. That number of players simply isn’t sustainable 3 times over 6 days.

The Prem clubs do have a small army to pick from, but when you get down to L1 or L2 that often isn’t the case.

23 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Don`t worry mate. If you still need a present for your other half I think Sainsbury`s garage is open till 10 on Christmas Eve.

Happened to a mate of mine once.

Went to the French capital and bought his missus the only can of fizzy drink in the garage as a Christmas present.

It was the last Tango in Paris.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It's massively overblown the Christmas games. Sunday, Wednesday,  Saturday. 

Happens loads of times each season

On 21/12/2021 at 16:18, Davefevs said:

Yep, or even better….play one game and send the same score in!!

Can remember playing a double game on Saturday, although only 61 minutes each half, for the first team Sunday morning and the reserve team on Sunday afternoon then another game on Monday evening when I could hardly walk, after stiffening up at half time, let alone run.

On 20/12/2021 at 18:39, Lanterne Rouge said:

Don`t worry mate. If you still need a present for your other half I think Sainsbury`s garage is open till 10 on Christmas Eve.

I’m onto a winner this year. Having Covid and today being freedom day my wife bought, wrapped and even wrote the label on her present. I’m so excited to see what I’ve bought her. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Only four games left on in our league.

Be great it the lot is off for me, no distraction then from family get together.

That does come across as a bit selfish don't you think, a lot of people really look forward to meeting up with friends at games over the festive period.

45 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Can remember playing a double game on Saturday, although only 61 minutes each half, for the first team Sunday morning and the reserve team on Sunday afternoon then another game on Monday evening when I could hardly walk, after stiffening up at half time, let alone run.

I once played for Brislington Reserves (2pm kickoff) on the back pitch at the bottom of Ironmould Lane, then legend it up the road at full-time to sit in the bench for the second half for the First Team.  Got on for 10 minutes (and a win bonus)!

I think from memory there is a rule that you can’t part in two games that are going on at the same time, so I couldn’t have come off at h-t in the early game for example.

Double headers were pretty frequent if you played for a Sunday team on a council pitch who’d call off so many games over the winter.

Is it me or is there a lack of discipline in alot clubs with the positive covid tests? I know the infection rate is high but if your job requires you to stay fit then it does seem extraodinary that so many players are getting it. Do the clubs have to declare to the league in question which players are infected?

Listening to Nige during the week I doubt if any of his players would dare to catch it!