IGNORED

Andi Weimann thoughts...

BenjaminBloom

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a piece for F365 and have made Andi Weimann my 'Player To Watch' for the next round of games...(fingers crossed for no mass cancelations!)

Interested to know Bristol City fans views on Weimann, how he's best utilised and how his performances stack up against the rest of the squad this season??

Thanks in advance...

Weimann's undoubtedly one of our key players and we struggle to replicate this running when he is not in the team.

He also gets shunted around the team quite a bit. He played as a number 10, as a forward, as a right winger and as a central midfielder at different points this season. He's best off in a forward role where there is someone who can play balls for him to run

He can frustrate at times. He's struggled at times when he's been picked for three games in eight days as energy is so key to his game and the way he plays can make him look a bit of a headless chicken when the team is not playing well. But last season (when he missed several months with injury) really underlined how vital he is for us. 

• Like 7

One of our more consistant players during his time here.

He's not spectacular on the goals return although looks like he is on course for a personal best this season and also for us. I do find he is either perfect and clinical in his finishing or it's a terrible effort.

Runs all day. Can play in midfield or wide and we've utilised his as much if not more in those positions than acutally as a striker. He can look a little exposed having the ball in deeper areas but useful on the break, sometimes his passing is a bit off, or poor first touch but that's why he plays for us and not higher.

Always moaning at the ref too, contests nearly everything but i quite like that.

Overall, good player for us.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BenjaminBloom said:

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a piece for F365 and have made Andi Weimann my 'Player To Watch' for the next round of games...(fingers crossed for no mass cancelations!)

Interested to know Bristol City fans views on Weimann, how he's best utilised and how his performances stack up against the rest of the squad this season??

Thanks in advance...

Mr Bloom, hello.

Weimann is a confusing player!

His work rate and attitude is Premier League. Often, not always, his end product is league one. 

He would tell you that he is a central striker, but he has been deployed by multiple managers here in other positions; wide forward in a 3, wide in a midfield 4, a deep number 10 and even at centre mid with a licence to break the lines.

I'd imagine his running stats are off the charts from minute 1 to minute 95 and he is really suited to a high pressing team, which we are not.

His goal return has been a surprise this season, mostly coming in braces. They haven't all been when played up top either.

He doesn't really have a natural strike partnership with Chris Martin, but they do what they can when played together. Recently Antoine Semenyo has been playing in a forward role with Martin, with Weimann shifted.

I hope that helps.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 3

He certainly divides opinion on here.

Technically he’s not the best, which is why some feel his recent deployment as an attacking midfielder doesn’t exactly aid our ability to retain the ball.

However for me he’s been our player of the season so far, (only Kalas runs him close) has played virtually every minute after coming back from serious injury & his 9 goals (he is only one short of his season best already) & 4 assists show his value.

He does have a strange habit of tending to score in doubles (so 8 of the 9 came in 4 games) but we can’t afford to be fussy when our second highest scorer has 4 non penalties..

I would prefer to see him played as a central striker where his energy & goal threat would be better deployed, however wherever he is picked, for a side in transition he’s invaluable.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, BenjaminBloom said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance...

He is a consummate professional . Will play anywhere and give it his all. 
A coach’s dream. 
He is very consistent but always gives the impression that he could be more effective than he is. 
He’ll score a brace and you think he is going to go on and hit the target regularly but he won’t. 
I think he pays the price for his versatility and attitude. He is not quite good enough for a top six Championship team but brings too much to the party to be left out .

Andi the energetic enigma. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BenjaminBloom said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance...

Perhaps listen to the interview with Chris Honor on FBC podcast. He gives a good description of him

Chris: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-y55x4-115e5e3

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BenjaminBloom said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance...

Promise not to mention your CEO ???

Do you want responses in this thread, if so, here goes!

From my perspective, Andi has had a mixed season performance wise.  You know you’re always gonna get tonnes of energy, but he’s been a bit inconsistent.  Perhaps that is to be expected for a player who missed virtually all of last season due to rupturing his ACL versus Swansea.  When he joined City he told us he wanted to play centrally, started the season on fire then on the return of Diedhiou from a 6 game ban he then played behind Famara and then shunted to the right wing.  Over 18/19 and 19/20 he found himself playing more on the right wing than the forward positions, but hit more than respectable numbers (10 goals / 5 assists & 9 goals / 7 assists), and I think some fans forget he’s not really played in his best / favourite position.  Last season saw him play as one of Dean Holden’s two “high-flying 8” in a 352 (Jamie Paterson the other) as City started the season on fire.  Weimann not only providing the legs, but also the driving runs that midfield markers hate to track.  It was no coincidence that Weimann’s injury saw us start to drop off the pace, same when Pato got injured too.

This season he’s played every minute bar a late injury time substitution, and has notched 9 goals and 4 assists, but his versatility has seen this split across right wing, secondary striker, no10 and in recent weeks back in a no8 in Pearson’s recent swap to a 352.  With Weimann, everything is done at pace, and sometimes that leads to frustrating misplaced passes when a calmer head finds its target.  But for a player who often rushes things, he does finish calmly.  Saturday’s first-time side-foot finish from Semenyo’s cut-back and a similar one against Barnsley shows how cool he can be.  His technical volley at Cardiff shows another side.

There is no doubt that with a weaker squad this season, the expectations from him are high, and perhaps the inconsistent team performances have contributed to highlighting his own mixed bag.  Having said that, 9 goals and 4 assists in a struggling side should not be tainted by performance.  A lot of strikers where putting the ball in the net is the only requirement would be happy with that return…Weimann give you much more than that…just not every week this season.  As it stands he is gonna smash his best season for us.

I would play him centrally as a forward.  I think we need a bit more discipline from our midfield, as a forward he can roam and that’s what I think benefits the team.

If you would like any more info, opinion, please shout.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Promise not to mention your CEO ???

Do you want responses in this thread, if so, here goes!

From my perspective, Andi has had a mixed season performance wise.  You know you’re always gonna get tonnes of energy, but he’s been a bit inconsistent.  Perhaps that is to be expected for a player who missed virtually all of last season due to rupturing his ACL versus Swansea.  When he joined City he told us he wanted to play centrally, started the season on fire then on the return of Diedhiou from a 6 game ban he then played behind Famara and then shunted to the right wing.  Over 18/19 and 19/20 he found himself playing more on the right wing than the forward positions, but hit more than respectable numbers (10 goals / 5 assists & 9 goals / 7 assists), and I think some fans forget he’s not really played in his best / favourite position.  Last season saw him play as one of Dean Holden’s two “high-flying 8” in a 352 (Jamie Paterson the other) as City started the season on fire.  Weimann not only providing the legs, but also the driving runs that midfield markers hate to track.  It was no coincidence that Weimann’s injury saw us start to drop off the pace, same when Pato got injured too.

This season he’s played every minute bar a late injury time substitution, and has notched 9 goals and 4 assists, but his versatility has seen this split across right wing, secondary striker, no10 and in recent weeks back in a no8 in Pearson’s recent swap to a 352.  With Weimann, everything is done at pace, and sometimes that leads to frustrating misplaced passes when a calmer head finds its target.  But for a player who often rushes things, he does finish calmly.  Saturday’s first-time side-foot finish from Semenyo’s cut-back and a similar one against Barnsley shows how cool he can be.  His technical volley at Cardiff shows another side.

There is no doubt that with a weaker squad this season, the expectations from him are high, and perhaps the inconsistent team performances have contributed to highlighting his own mixed bag.  Having said that, 9 goals and 4 assists in a struggling side should not be tainted by performance.  A lot of strikers where putting the ball in the net is the only requirement would be happy with that return…Weimann give you much more than that…just not every week this season.  As it stands he is gonna smash his best season for us.

I would play him centrally as a forward.  I think we need a bit more discipline from our midfield, as a forward he can roam and that’s what I think benefits the team.

If you would like any more info, opinion, please shout.

What, not a single stats graphic Dave!

Come on, treat Mr Bloom.

Hamdled the CEO situation well ?

• Like 1

Easily our best player. 

We are aren't a great team with him in it but when he was out injured we were horrendous.

The "spark" to everything good we do and if his final touch/pass were better he would be playing at a higher level than us.

Very good solid professional on and off the field, could do with several more of his type in the squad to help the youngsters.

For some strange reasons tends to get a lot of criticism on here.

He does my head in...can't fault his ability to run all day, give his all etc. 

But he has a foot like a banjo... watching him trying to control a ball is painful..it's foot, shin, knee...freeking everywhere. It's never fully under control. Like a rubber ball tied to a piece of string. So frustrating to watch at this level. 

If we play him, I prefer him central and high.

He's best when not dribbling or running into the corners. Keep him high and central. He can finish...just don't give him time on the ball. Better instinctive than when with time. Use his energy when defending, closing down. Keep him highest upfield and central when offensive.

Would rather have kept Pato with similar work rate, but far better technically and can score.

All imo of course. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Would rather have kept Pato with similar work rate, but far better technically and can score.

No way has Pato similar work rate to Weimann.  8 goals and 4 assists….Nige alluded to the fact that he would’ve liked to have kept Pato and that he was unlucky to have not got a deal. Pure speculation but I reckon Pato might’ve been wanting far too high a wage.  Ideally Nige would’ve kept both and managed to move Palmer on.  Alas!!

• Like 6

It’s not saying a lot but he’s probably been our best outfield player in recent times. Bags of energy, good runner and has some good leadership qualities IMO.

Technically he’s not the best with the ball at his feet, but his other attributes outweigh that.

Overall he’s been a very decent player for us.

• Like 3

Agree with spudski. Love his effort but for me pick him central up top bombing into the box or don't pick him at all.i believe it causes the team more problems than answers moving him around just to keep him in the side. He is not a runner with the  ball, he won't beat a man wide and get crosses in and he is no midfield passing player. His control is poor and his runs are hardly ever found. He just seems a bundle of energy with no plan which is hard to work a team round. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No way has Pato similar work rate to Weimann.  8 goals and 4 assists….Nige alluded to the fact that he would’ve liked to have kept Pato and that he was unlucky to have not got a deal. Pure speculation but I reckon Pato might’ve been wanting far too high a wage.  Ideally Nige would’ve kept both and managed to move Palmer on.  Alas!!

I saw Patos energy and movement far better quality to Weimann. You can run all day, but if it's not quality movement, what's the point? I find Weimann has a lot of wasted energy. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is that the same Pato that has scored less goals than Weimann this season? And has a slightly inferior 'minutes per goal' ratio too?

As alluded to...Weimann wastes more chances than he's given imo. He also runs into areas when there is no need.

Read the game better, find space, create angles, let the ball do the work.

Weimann could cut down on wasted movement and concentrate on better control and being on the same page as his team mates. 

• Like 2

Weimann is a player our squad cannot do without imo.

I echo what @spudski has said in the fact that he is frustrating as hell but for me his sheer work rate and willingness to run and run and run and stretch the opposition is invaluable.

People say he is just a runner but how rare are modern day footballers that are now willing mentally or physically to put in a shift for 95 mins? Many either seemingly cannot because of physical limitations or many just don’t want to do it.

We all know we need to add more firepower to our striking department and when that finally happens that should in reality limit Weimann to becoming just a squad player, untill then he is crucial to us IMO.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

I saw Patos energy and movement far better quality to Weimann. You can run all day, but if it's not quality movement, what's the point? I find Weimann has a lot of wasted energy. 

As alluded to...Weimann wastes more chances than he's given imo. He also runs into areas when there is no need.

Read the game better, find space, create angles, let the ball do the work.

Weimann could cut down on wasted movement and concentrate on better control and being on the same page as his team mates. 

Pato was the master of drifting infield and make little attempt to get back into position, often asking / pointing at Weimann to cover him.  Love,y technical player but not a grafter by any stretch (imho).

Weimann not too bad really! ? 

• Robin 1

6 hours ago, mozo said:

Mr Bloom, hello.

Weimann is a confusing player!

His work rate and attitude is Premier League. Often, not always, his end product is league one. 

He would tell you that he is a central striker, but he has been deployed by multiple managers here in other positions; wide forward in a 3, wide in a midfield 4, a deep number 10 and even at centre mid with a licence to break the lines.

I'd imagine his running stats are off the charts from minute 1 to minute 95 and he is really suited to a high pressing team, which we are not.

His goal return has been a surprise this season, mostly coming in braces. They haven't all been when played up top either.

He doesn't really have a natural strike partnership with Chris Martin, but they do what they can when played together. Recently Antoine Semenyo has been playing in a forward role with Martin, with Weimann shifted.

I hope that helps.

End product is League 1 standard..? 

Are you sure..? You might want to take a look at his assist & goal stats for the time that he's been on the pitch for us... 

(I've no idea what they are, but he's always weighing in with assists and, less so, goals) 

Considering he gets shunted around out of his favoured position on a regular basis, I'd imagine his stats are pretty decent, all things considered. 

• Like 2