IGNORED

Andi Weimann thoughts...

BenjaminBloom

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Pato was the master of drifting infield and make little attempt to get back into position, often asking / pointing at Weimann to cover him.  Love,y technical player but not a grafter by any stretch (imho).

Weimann not too bad really! ? 

I watch other teams at our level and above, and more often than not they don't have players like Weimann. They are well drilled, read the game, cover one another, let the ball do the talking. They move when they have to...not running aimlessly. Understanding when to run, or cover, its far more effective than running for the sake of it. A lot of chasing and running is done to overcome mistakes in positioning and reading the game. A skilled player can move very little if he reads the game well. 

We have three energetic runners who imo don't read the game well. Weimann, Odowda and defensively Massengo. The latter reactionary and can be often seen hurtling back to cover where he hasn't read well.

All three seen as ' busy'...but would all be far more effective if they read the game better. 

For me...both Weimann and Odowda are busy and energetic. Take that away from them, what are you left with? Not much at this level imo.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I watch other teams at our level and above, and more often than not they don't have players like Weimann. They are well drilled, read the game, cover one another, let the ball do the talking. They move when they have to...not running aimlessly. Understanding when to run, or cover, its far more effective than running for the sake of it. A lot of chasing and running is done to overcome mistakes in positioning and reading the game. A skilled player can move very little if he reads the game well. 

We have three energetic runners who imo don't read the game well. Weimann, Odowda and defensively Massengo. The latter reactionary and can be often seen hurtling back to cover where he hasn't read well.

All three seen as ' busy'...but would all be far more effective if they read the game better. 

For me...both Weimann and Odowda are busy and energetic. Take that away from them, what are you left with? Not much at this level imo.

That's an interesting way to look at his (their) input.... I'm not saying that I disagree..... Although possibly, certainly in AW's case, he finds himself needing to do all that extra running because the players around him need that cover..? 

I'd agree that his positioning isn't always the best, but he also seems to get everywhere, through sheer hard work & determination. 

You're right that the best player need to move less, but they tend to be surrounded by better players aswell and simply don't need to move as much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don’t disagree that Weimann could do things differently, but the argument was Pato worked as hard as him, which I don’t think he did.  But we can agree to disagree.

Its a bit like the “offside-Kodjia” joke.  Wasn’t until Tomlin signed on loan that we saw someone in tune with his runs.  I think Weimann makes good runs (not always) but I don’t think he always gets the ball.  He has his faults as most of us have posted, but that’s why he’s playing at this level not higher.  Same argument with Pato, with his great technique why isn’t he playing higher?  Andi’s goals and assists have kept us in a relatively safe place.  Pato got 7 in 19/20 across a variety of positional roles.  Nobody (bar Flint) has got more than 5 since promotion and we cry out from goals from midfield / defence.  

I do think too much is made about “purity” of football rather than “effectiveness”.  There is a balance admittedly.  Weimann is not aesthetically pleasing on the ball but he is effective when played in the middle of the pitch.  He is not a (conventional) midfielder though, he has little defensive intuition.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree that Weimann could do things differently, but the argument was Pato worked as hard as him, which I don’t think he did.  But we can agree to disagree.

Its a bit like the “offside-Kodjia” joke.  Wasn’t until Tomlin signed on loan that we saw someone in tune with his runs.  I think Weimann makes good runs (not always) but I don’t think he always gets the ball.  He has his faults as most of us have posted, but that’s why he’s playing at this level not higher.  Same argument with Pato, with his great technique why isn’t he playing higher?  Andi’s goals and assists have kept us in a relatively safe place.  Pato got 7 in 19/20 across a variety of positional roles.  Nobody (bar Flint) has got more than 5 since promotion and we cry out from goals from midfield / defence.  

I do think too much is made about “purity” of football rather than “effectiveness”.  There is a balance admittedly.  Weimann is not aesthetically pleasing on the ball but he is effective when played in the middle of the pitch.  He is not a (conventional) midfielder though, he has little defensive intuition.

I agree, as I said in an earlier post that he is more effective high and central.

Pato worked harder with his brain and technique. He ran far less, but was more effective overall for the team imo.

Watch Weimanns runs...I have over the years. Many aren't read well. He'll run into a space that is often behind a defender, where its impossible to receive the ball, as the ball route is blocked or into a dead end. 

I've looked again and again...thinking why has Weimann run there, not received the ball, and the ball has been recycled instead of going to him. On further views, it's because although he runs into space...it's the wrong space. Or poorly timed. Often ahead of the play.  He simply doesn't give the passer the correct passing option. He's crap at angles. He'll run in a straight line behind a defender expecting the ball to be passed through the defender. Or if he does eventually create an angle it will be towards the corner flag.

It's cool though...we can agree to disagree ??

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree, as I said in an earlier post that he is more effective high and central.

Pato worked harder with his brain and technique. He ran far less, but was more effective overall for the team imo.

Watch Weimanns runs...I have over the years. Many aren't read well. He'll run into a space that is often behind a defender, where its impossible to receive the ball, as the ball route is blocked or into a dead end. 

I've looked again and again...thinking why has Weimann run there, not received the ball, and the ball has been recycled instead of going to him. On further views, it's because although he runs into space...it's the wrong space. Or poorly timed. Often ahead of the play.  He simply doesn't give the passer the correct passing option. He's crap at angles. He'll run in a straight line behind a defender expecting the ball to be passed through the defender. Or if he does eventually create an angle it will be towards the corner flag.

It's cool though...we can agree to disagree ??

I think that is as accurate a description of weimann I've seen on here spot on .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I present evidence for the defence (or attack in this case!).

And what a fluke...that's what I mean, the runs he makes have to have a pin point accurate pass. He doesn't even control the ball on receiving it. Can't trap a bag of cement. Ends up with a goal, through fashion. Defender watching the ball rather than him. Poor defending.

It worked on that occasion...but more often than not...it doesn't.

I will agree he's more effective centrally. 

We need a video showing what happens every game rather than a one off ?☺️??

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He should be top….am I missing something?

Weimann has 9 goals from 37 shots (24%)

Yes he should if your figures are correct, which I don't doubt - but even if the tweet was correct that he's on 24%, well that's the same as Powell and Weimann, and yet he's 2nd whilst they are joint 3rd...was my original point. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

End product is League 1 standard..? 

Are you sure..? You might want to take a look at his assist & goal stats for the time that he's been on the pitch for us... 

(I've no idea what they are, but he's always weighing in with assists and, less so, goals) 

Considering he gets shunted around out of his favoured position on a regular basis, I'd imagine his stats are pretty decent, all things considered. 

You didn't read the sentence right

29 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Yes he should if your figures are correct, which I don't doubt - but even if the tweet was correct that he's on 24%, well that's the same as Powell and Weimann, and yet he's 2nd whilst they are joint 3rd...was my original point. 

I think the arrows means joint second with Grabban, not joint (3rd) with each other.

14 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Easily our best player. 

We are aren't a great team with him in it but when he was out injured we were horrendous.

The "spark" to everything good we do and if his final touch/pass were better he would be playing at a higher level than us.

Very good solid professional on and off the field, could do with several more of his type in the squad to help the youngsters.

For some strange reasons tends to get a lot of criticism on here.

Exactly. 

14 hours ago, BenjaminBloom said:

Hey guys, the article just went live - the bit on Weimann is the fourth section down. Let me know what you think??

https://www.football365.com/news/championship-big-weekend-forecast-boro-v-forest-sheff-united-parker-weimann 

Well you neglected to mention his boring voice but besides that a very nice piece ? 

For those that haven't seen it, my Christmas Cut and Paste Gift to you all.

PLAYER TO WATCH: Andreas Weimann (Bristol City)
After the defeat at home to Huddersfield, one Bristol City player leaving the pitch with his head held slightly higher than the rest of his teammates was Andreas Weimann. The Austrian scored both of City’s goals in the 3-2 loss, marking the fourth occasion this season he’s hit two in the same game. Only the division’s two top scorers, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ben Brereton-Diaz, have recorded more two-goal games this season in the Championship than Weimann.

So what does this tell us about Weimann? Although his main asset is speed and running power, surely you need to be a pretty decent marksman to be knocking in doubles multiple times in a season. The obvious question concerns Weimann’s consistency and why would a player score twice in a game more frequently than he scores once in a game? There may be some fire with that smoke, and with Bristol City’s expected goals total ranked seventh in the division, they are a team that makes chances despite currently being 18th in the table.

When we look at how Weimann is utilised, maybe the potential inconsistency is more understandable. He has started every game this season, but in a multitude of positions within a variety of different team shapes. Drilling down into Weimann’s personal stats revealingly shows a player performing decisively, his nine goals come from an xG of 6.61 and his four assists come from an xA of 4.48. Perhaps Weimann is one of those cases where his ‘usefulness’ is viewed as his most important skill, and ‘useful’ players are often asked to focus on the team rather than themselves. It’s Luton away next for Bristol City and confusingly the evidence tells us Weimann is more likely not to score than to score, but if he does score he’ll probably score twice!

On 22/12/2021 at 19:45, spudski said:

And what a fluke...that's what I mean, the runs he makes have to have a pin point accurate pass. He doesn't even control the ball on receiving it. Can't trap a bag of cement. Ends up with a goal, through fashion. Defender watching the ball rather than him. Poor defending.

It worked on that occasion...but more often than not...it doesn't.

I will agree he's more effective centrally. 

We need a video showing what happens every game rather than a one off ?☺️??

Bristol C 3 - 2 Millwall - Match Report & Highlights (skysports.com)

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Annnnnnnnd your point is? My comment regarding the goal in that game is correct.

Crikey...every manager has said he's not technically good...and you know what you get with him.

Hence today's first goal wasn't technically hard. 

His second was a great goal.

4 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Agreed, all he does is run around! ….:yawn:

It’s largely true, tbf to the "all he does is run around" hoardes. If Brian Clough was right and it "only takes a second to score a goal" that means Andi has pretty much spent his 25 games × 90 minutes running around - 12 seconds scoring a goal = running around, by and large. Plus shouting at officials.

It's, mostly, a lot of running around interspersed with a little bit of scoring some goals (and a pinch of arguing with officials).