IGNORED

Travelled this road before Anti Virus (PCs)

Markman

Moved house and now have a sky broadband - so lost my old BT broadband one with free Mcafee - keep getting messages about renewing and with my C-19 I am too ill to think

I used to use bullguard but do I need to pay anything (I don't mind) but never really got on with AVG free 

Main message I get is about unsecure provider or something but I seem to have windows defender running

quick easy suggestions? 

Use the free Microsoft version that comes with Windows 10 or download able from their website. 

Windows Security.

I have been using this and previous incarnation ever since the head lecturer at uni for computer sciences told me about it. This is all he uses. He gave me other reasons but in Janet and John speak, it's free, it's good for everyday folk and recommended by him!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security

• Like 1

Yea to be honest the free Microsoft software is good enough for most people.

That and make sure that User Access Control is set to require permission before doing any administrative changes (or better yet use a separate account that doesn’t have admin rights) and you’re unlikely to get many problems. 

Most viruses and the like are self inflicted on personal devices

Yeah, I'd echo the shout for the Windows software. Got a new laptop a few weeks ago so thought I'd give it a go before having to look elsewhere and so far it's been absolutely fine. On my old laptop I'd been using the free version of Avast and it slowed it down to a crawl at times, as well as constantly trying to get me to sign up for their paid product.