IGNORED

STEVE STACEY

PHILINFRANCE

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Not my favourite newspaper, but I found this story extremely interesting and, frankly, heartbreaking.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-stacey-liverpool-ipswich-3287474

He was a friend of mine when I was about 15 or 16. We used to organize games on Horfield Common ( coats for goals) His mates in Horfield against mine from Filton. I was so pleased when he signed for City.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He was a friend of mine when I was about 15 or 16. We used to organize games on Horfield Common ( coats for goals) His mates in Horfield against mine from Filton. I was so pleased when he signed for City.

You and me both, although you and Steve would have been ten years or so before me.

I well remember the games of football, though, weekends and evenings during the summer.

If we got too hot, we used to go to the doctor’s surgery at the edge of the common (Dr Beddows, Meadows?) to fill up our bottle of water from the outside tap - they used to have chickens and ducks in their courtyard.

I didn’t realise until after I had posted that the article was actually written a couple of years ago, by our very own @Tristan Cork no less.

Well Done Tristan for an excellent article, and I don’t mind admitting I had tears in my eyes as I was reading it - so much (of the nicer parts) resonated with my own childhood, although it must have been awful for a half cast child growing up in those days knowing why his parents weren’t together.

• Thanks 1

I saw him give a talk at the M Shed rooms a few years ago. He was a really down to earth and humble bloke, with a good sense of perspective (something modern footballers seem to struggle with). It is quite a story, not only of his route through football but also the story of post-war Bristol. Times we will not see again, I suspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I can recommend his book, very interesting read.

ACD364E0-B974-4F7D-935E-E8DD88A82F40.jpeg

I shall endeavour to obtain a copy - quite apart from what, as you say, I am sure will be an interesting read, I should be happy to contribute to his income rather than to the numerous ‘stars’ who seem to bring out an exclusive, revealing biography every Christmas.

• Admin
5 hours ago, Leveller said:

Depends on your definition! His dad was a black GI who had to return to the US without him.

I was just wondering why he was being referred to as. Bristolian and the book cover says African-American.  I tried to read the Bristol live article, but for some reason anytime I try to go to any of the Reach group papers sites, my iPad locks and won’t let me scroll down.  

11 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I was just wondering why he was being referred to as. Bristolian and the book cover says African-American.  I tried to read the Bristol live article, but for some reason anytime I try to go to any of the Reach group papers sites, my iPad locks and won’t let me scroll down.  

He was born in Bristol and lived in a house or flat on Gloucester Road at it's junction with Ashley Road. I knew and grew up with several children with black fathers, US soldiers and airmen.

I never took any notice of their skin colour; they were just friends and acquaintances.

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

10 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Was he American?

His Dad was an American airman I think, he was born in Bristol . Because his Dad was black, American Army rules meant he couldn't stay and she couldn't go with him I believe . Different times, shit way to treat someone that had served his country.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2021 at 21:40, PHILINFRANCE said:

You and me both, although you and Steve would have been ten years or so before me.

I well remember the games of football, though, weekends and evenings during the summer.

If we got too hot, we used to go to the doctor’s surgery at the edge of the common (Dr Beddows, Meadows?) to fill up our bottle of water from the outside tap - they used to have chickens and ducks in their courtyard.

I didn’t realise until after I had posted that the article was actually written a couple of years ago, by our very own @Tristan Cork no less.

Well Done Tristan for an excellent article, and I don’t mind admitting I had tears in my eyes as I was reading it - so much (of the nicer parts) resonated with my own childhood, although it must have been awful for a half cast child growing up in those days knowing why his parents weren’t together.

Thanks Phil. much appreciated. It was a pleasure to meet Steve for that interview - it was at the start of his trip to the UK which included a book launch at Ashton Gate and at Wrexham, where he played much of his career.