IGNORED

Did Palmer take a pay cut to join us?

Unan

12 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Another Palmer thread I know, but when he went to court he had to state his wage, £110k per month, yes 27.5k per week. 

Did he take a pay cut when he came here, or?

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/former-huddersfield-town-stars-wages-15228536

Dunno.  Bet he’s on a decent whack whatever.

Even half of that would be too much for his age and experience, but I guess his Agent would argue that he was a Chelsea player and could demand such figures on the strength of that alone. Madness.

The fact that he has completely been sidelined cannot only be for footballing reasons, playing. Maybe there is a clause saying after x amount of games his wage doubles or something and we rightly are making sure that doesn’t happen?

• Hmmm 1

But what really worrys me us that the news report quotes his wage at Chelsea as £27,500 a week. But he has since been on loan at us then we signed him. Surely there is no way we would pay the same money as Chelsea. Or is that the norm. If it is it's bloody crazy that a player can expect to take a league drop and still expect  the same money. 

29 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But what really worrys me us that the news report quotes his wage at Chelsea as £27,500 a week. But he has since been on loan at us then we signed him. Surely there is no way we would pay the same money as Chelsea. Or is that the norm. If it is it's bloody crazy that a player can expect to take a league drop and still expect  the same money. 

I have no idea personally what his wage is, but I’m told, its not far off that at all 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

An incredible decent whack as he seems to not play any football 

He turns up for work, trains and is available to play but is not selected = Different thing.

But a hell of a lot of money for this level and he will struggle to get a third of that for his next contract, so don't expect him to tear this one up any time soon.

Terrible situation and having "outcasts" around a squad never ends well for anyone.

32 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

But a hell of a lot of money for this level and he will struggle to get a third of that for his next contract, so don't expect him to tear this one up any time soon.

Indeed. Will be very uncertain times for Mr Palmer and his agent  in the next year or so.

Genuinely don’t see where he goes from here for his next £20 plus k a week deal over 2 or 3 years - i just can’t see him getting that anywhere else especially not in this country.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wonder if that was gross or net...

Would be interesting to know.

No idea how true but I read recently that more often than not, footballers quoted salaries are their true salaries after all deductions. This is something commonly requested by players (perhaps because many of them don’t fully understand taxation). It’s definitely the case at clubs like Man City.

Another reason I’d like to see the back of him is because the Twitter admin seems to have the biggest crush on him. He has a few favourites but seems to particularly be Palmer. 

Just now, footie said:

Have it on good authority he is on £20k per week. Was jokingly confronted by someone I know when out and about: "Come on mate you can try a bit harder for £10k per week!" His response was "Try 20k"

Even without context that response by Palmer is pretty revealing. Reflects pretty badly.

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed. Will be very uncertain times for Mr Palmer and his agent  in the next year or so.

Genuinely don’t see where he goes from here for his next £20 plus k a week deal over 2 or 3 years - i just can’t see him getting that anywhere else especially not in this country.

Think you have answered it. Not in this country.

Is there still strong money to be made in China?

26 minutes ago, footie said:

Have it on good authority he is on £20k per week. Was jokingly confronted by someone I know when out and about: "Come on mate you can try a bit harder for £10k per week!" His response was "Try 20k"

I’ve also heard he’s on £20k p/w with us.

While he’s clearly got talent, he needs more than a full pre-season under his belt (as LJ said at the time) to fulfil his potential.

Considering we paid Chelsea £3.5m for him, the deal has to be right up there in terms of our worst ever transfers.

Edited by tin
  • Like 3

More systemic of the Chelsea academy system than Palmer himself tbh. Imagine Kalas and JD were all on very similar salaries. 

Chalobah was given £80k a week after his successful loan to Watford all those years back. Widely known there’s players in their 23s squad on £40k a week that wouldn’t even get noticed in their club shop on a match day. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tin said:

While he’s clearly got talent, he needs more than a full pre-season under his belt (as LJ said at the time) to fulfil his potential.

Considering we paid Chelsea £3.5m for him, the deal has to be right up there in terms of our worst ever transfers.

He needs shipping out

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He needs shipping out

This. Absolute show pony.

I don’t know how or where but he needs to be moved on somehow. I would be amazed if we don’t end up paying the majority of his wages until the end of his current contract with us, even if we can find another club for him in the mean time. 

23 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He needs shipping out

Totally agree, although it'll be more difficult than some might think.

The point I made referred to what LJ said at the time he/Ashton signed Palmer. 

If I was him, I be looking for a move to Germany or France. The slower pace would suit him in those leagues.

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, tin said:

Totally agree, although it'll be more difficult than some might think.

The point I made referred to what LJ said at the time he/Ashton signed Palmer. 

If I was him, I be looking for a move to Germany or France. The slower pace would suit him in those leagues.

He could retire on the money he's made from us. He's practically been retired for the last two years anyway

1 hour ago, tin said:

I think it is by far our worst ever signing as he was also poor for us on loan. Wolves FA cup game made my mind up. Strolled around and regularly let his man run off him. Thought it was bizarre that we wanted him off the back of his poor loan spell.   A lot of fans liked him on loan but I will never understand why 

• Like 2