IGNORED

Anyone used Thatcher's Gold to cook the Christmas Ham in?

Norn Iron

I have a decent gammon that needs to be steeped and then cooked. Boiling is easiest.

I know people have used Cola and even Irn Bru (I have done the former). Ham in Cider has been recommended throughout the ages but is Thatcher's Gold too good for the ham?

Culinary thoughts please!

49 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I have a decent gammon that needs to be steeped and then cooked. Boiling is easiest.

I know people have used Cola and even Irn Bru (I have done the former). Ham in Cider has been recommended throughout the ages but is Thatcher's Gold too good for the ham?

Culinary thoughts please!

I would say the danger would be that it would evaporate quite quickly.

I have just started this recipe 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/glazed-gammon

I do the boiling today and will roast it tomorrow. It got rave reviews last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I would say the danger would be that it would evaporate quite quickly.

I have just started this recipe 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/glazed-gammon

I do the boiling today and will roast it tomorrow. It got rave reviews last year.

Thanks PSR. I've boiled meat before, a long time ago mind, when I cooked Vietnamese Pork. Loads of Garlic and fish Source! 

I'll bring the Gammon to the boil and then simmer with lid definitely on. 20 mins per pound plus 25 mins. 

40 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks PSR. I've boiled meat before, a long time ago mind, when I cooked Vietnamese Pork. Loads of Garlic and fish Source! 

I'll bring the Gammon to the boil and then simmer with lid definitely on. 20 mins per pound plus 25 mins. 

Anything that draws the salt is good, otherwise it can be very dry when roasted. I like salty food but gammon can be overpowering if it's too salty.

• Like 1

Well, I've just tasted the ham. It'll be resting in tin foil for another 45 mins... just because.

However, I couldn't resist having a little chunk. Sensational. The Thatcher's cuts through but doesn't overpower the ham. A stunning success.

Next time I'll find a smaller pot which means less Thatcher's needed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Well, I've just tasted the ham. It'll be resting in tin foil for another 45 mins... just because.

However, I couldn't resist having a little chunk. Sensational. The Thatcher's cuts through but doesn't overpower the ham. A stunning success.

Next time I'll find a smaller pot which means less Thatcher's needed!

why not just get a bigger lump of ham?

10 hours ago, The Batman said:

Mum used haze this Christmas. She's done it a few times. Rather delightful. I'd rather drink gold than haze so it's not totally wasted. 

for a nasty minute i had visions of her spraying air freshener on it but i think im confusing myself with glade? easy done now im getting old?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

for a nasty minute i had visions of her spraying air freshener on it but i think im confusing myself with glade? easy done now im getting old?

Oh yeah, there was an old air freshener called Haze now you mention it.

Guessing it was just incorporated in to air wick / febreeze or whichever. 

• Like 2