IGNORED

Worst supporter reception?

Mr X

39 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Shame- it was glorious at the time when there was no gap.

Oh, I remember the days when there was no gap very well; I also  remember the days when the Gloucestershire Cup Final was eagerly anticipated and attracted a virtual sell-out.

It was the reference to Devon White’s neighbour that escaped me.

I only saw him play once, down at Ashton Gate in the second leg of a League Cup tie: he tore us apart and we lost 4-1!

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Oh, I remember the days when there was no gap very well; I also  remember the days when the Gloucestershire Cup Final was eagerly anticipated and attracted a virtual sell-out.

I only saw him play once, down at Ashton Gate in the second leg of a League Cup tie: he tore us apart and we lost 4-1!

Devon's neighbour ( I think they lived in Easton) fell out and he he gave him a seeing to whereupon Devon was injured and took him to Court. I know this is not how anyone should behave but I was quite young at the time and we all gave Devon';s neighbour cult status- "If you all love Devons neighbour- clap your hands" etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I can't remember a Gloucester cup final ever attracting more than about 10k (possibly prior to my time of 30 years it may have been different) 

Pretty sure we lost that league cup 2nd leg 4-2 & went out on away goals, having beat them 3-1 at Twerton. 

• Flames 1

56 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I can't remember a Gloucester cup final ever attracting more than about 10k (possibly prior to my time of 30 years it may have been different) 

Pretty sure we lost that league cup 2nd leg 4-2 & went out on away goals, having beat them 3-1 at Twerton. 

Memory plays tricks, of course, but my memory tells me that the Glos Cup finals of the mid/late 1970s, which is the period to which I was referring, were jam packed - whether that was in the Muller Road End or in The Tote - and Ashton Gate.

Certainly more than 10,000 - they were (for me) one of the highlights of the year.

Re. the League Cup match, we did, indeed, win 3-1 away and, in fact, if I recall correctly, we even scored first in the return leg!

You may be right about the actual score, though; I just remember that we lost the overall tie.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

He was total ****

He may well have been - away to Leeds comes to mind - but you are undoubtedly aware he was suffering from mental health problems at the time.

By all means, give a hard time to ex-players who took the proverbial or ex-managers/CEOs who were worse, but I maintain it would be harsh to abuse an ex-player who gave of his best, but was prevented from giving more due to illness.

• Like 7

I can only think of Colin who would get a similar "warm" welcome as Tiny Penis.

The reptile seems to go "missing" when the chips are down so I would very much doubt he would show up in the unlikely event that his latest stepping stone ever progressed the early rounds of a cup competition .

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

I can only think of Colin who would get a similar "warm" welcome as Tiny Penis.

I must say, I think of ‘Colin’ as being very much the pantomime villain.

He has stated frequently how much he likes and respects City, and my feelings towards Neil Warnock are very similar.

It is probably too late now, but I had hoped that, in his final season and in his last game at Ashton Gate, he might have received a rousing rendition of:

’We love you Colin, We do’, followed by a round of applause.

I suspect that, notwithstanding his understandable dislike of his nickname, he would return that applause with his customary wide smile, recognising that the mockery was being made with respect of his many years success at football management.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He has stated frequently how much he likes and respects City, and my feelings towards Neil Warnock are very similar.

It is probably too late now, but I had hoped that, in his final season and in his last game at Ashton Gate, he might have received a rousing rendition of:

’We love you Colin, We do’, followed by a round of applause.

I suspect that, notwithstanding his understandable dislike of his nickname, he would return that applause with his customary wide smile, recognising that the mockery was being made with respect of his many years success at football management.

Pantomime villain I would agree most definitely. He plays up to it and gleefully puts on the act and a lot of people swallow it hook, line and sinker. With LJ in charge here it was so blatant when we were due to play one of his teams, it was pathetic. The, "I used to play his Dad" or "We'll need a strong Referee for this one" or the timeless " He hasn't trained all week blah blah".

He knows all of the dark arts of "One upmanship" and I appreciate fans have polarised views on him but I just think he's a smug patronising old dinosaur.

• Like 2

Ipswich fans have seen through Mr Bullshit rather more quickly than we did:

Sack Ashton

Post Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 pm

I hope he’s feeling the bloody pressure tonight because frankly that’s NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Sort it out Ashton or **** off : This is your mess

you recall, at the time of all the new signings Ashton said he interviewd & effectively vetted them all to ensure they were committed & signed up to his vision, etc.

Bullshit

https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67965&sid=999c495a720f8956a06fce04aa6f8e48

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Nicky Hunt and Ian Baird in a testimonial match refereed by Mark Ashton , starring Junior Bent's hold up play- physio by Devon White's neighbourand commentary by Gary Penrice . At Trumpton.

I find it hard to believe that someone has included Junior Bent in this thread. Useful player, lovely bloke, fondly remembered - rather like Albert Adomah for another generation.

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He's not a "pantomime villain". He is someone who encourages his players to cheat. As simple as.

I don't care about his stupid whinges or daft opinions or touchline play-acting.

There is a line between canny gamesmanship and outright cheating, and Warnock encourages the latter.  The way his Rotherham side feigned head injuries throughout the game when they were at Ashton Gate was a disgrace to football. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I find it hard to believe that someone has included Junior Bent in this thread. Useful player, lovely bloke, fondly remembered - rather like Albert Adomah for another generation.

Re. ‘Lovely bloke’, I remember an interview he gave shortly after joining (it may even have been his first game, I can’t remember as it was so long ago) following a match against Rovers or Swindon (can’t remember) when he either made or scored (can’t remember) the winner after a typical fast run.

Whilst I have obviously forgotten the finer details of the match itself, ?, I can well remember how natural, warm and friendly he seemed and how he spoke with a very strong Yorkshire accent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Yup.

Ever cheerful pacey winger who on his day could skin anyone yet other days couldn't go round a bollard. The ultimate confidence player.

May I suggest replacing him with Ian "V sign" Baird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

First time i ever heard the horses ass chant.

Ex gas archie stephens of mboro.

When mark gavin rejoined us, recall some bloke calling him a money grabbing scottish so and so in the car park.

He said in a chirpy tone good morning sir!

Boxing Day 4-3 to City v Plymouth….Tommy Tynan was the recipient of that doing….my first rude football song!!

Archie Stephens - what a horrible bastard.  Played against him when he made his comeback for Melksham in mid-90s (local hero for them, Melksham boy come good).  He elbowed my CB partner and splayed his nose across his face in the first minute.  My CB partner told Archie he’d break both his legs and he’d wish he’d never come out of retirement.  2 mins later Stephens feigns a hamstring injury and hobbles off the pitch.  Next day in the Sunday Independent - Stephens Retires for good!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Spot on.

Honest trier who was fondly remembered & signed off his City career with a winning goal at the Mem.

He cost us £30k for ****’s sake, I watched the 4-2 win at Twerton last night, his cross for Agostino’s goal, our third (& what a player he was) was worth that alone.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

I too did a double take on this and believe the poster is referring specifically to his hold up play ?

Anyone who wouldn't welcome Sir Junior back to The Gate with anything les than rapturous applause is all kinds of wrong and can **** off to horfield.. Just so you know where I stand on the issue ??

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ipswich fans have seen through Mr Bullshit rather more quickly than we did:

Sack Ashton

Post Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 pm

I hope he’s feeling the bloody pressure tonight because frankly that’s NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Sort it out Ashton or **** off : This is your mess

you recall, at the time of all the new signings Ashton said he interviewd & effectively vetted them all to ensure they were committed & signed up to his vision, etc.

Bullshit

https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67965&sid=999c495a720f8956a06fce04aa6f8e48

Just had a very quick skim read, saw "OTIB will be happy with this post" and "some Brizzle bloke stirring things up and the usual suspects lapping it up".

I couldn't care less, at least he's out of our club. All I'll add is that some of us did try to warn them when he went there. Some are seeing the light fairly quickly, but to be fair, it was a similar situation on here - some from day 1 saw through him, and then the more you saw and heard from him, the more people switched on to his bullshit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Just had a very quick skim read, saw "OTIB will be happy with this post" and "some Brizzle bloke stirring things up and the usual suspects lapping it up".

I couldn't care less, at least he's out of our club. All I'll add is that some of us did try to warn them when he went there. Some are seeing the light fairly quickly, but to be fair, it was a similar situation on here - some from day 1 saw through him, and then the more you saw and heard from him, the more people switched on to his bullshit.

Yes, we knew he had a poor record at Watford though that seemed to be primarily down to a property transaction meaning that we weren't alerted to the mostly terrible player recruitment that we were to experience.

We were then able to flag that up to the Ipswich fans to watch out for and now just six months in they can see it for themselves and the smarter ones have realised that history is repeating.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

That’ll be me….although stirring = having some insight into Ashton that Churchman (TWTD poster) doesn’t agree with!!!

If he took the time to read my posts he’d see they’re quite balanced, but he has rose-tinted specs on.  That’s fine, it’s all new, Marcus Evans (his predecessor) was a bit crap according to their forum, so anything is an improvement to them.

Some of them are creaming themselves over a training video.

McKenna might be a brilliant appointment, who knows, but they aren’t half easily pleased.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’ll be me….although stirring = having some insight into Ashton that Churchman (TWTD poster) doesn’t agree with!!!

If he took the time to read my posts he’d see they’re quite balanced, but he has rose-tinted specs on.  That’s fine, it’s all new, Marcus Evans (his predecessor) was a bit crap according to their forum, so anything is an improvement to them.

McKenna might be a brilliant appointment, who knows, but they aren’t half easily pleased.

Having worked in that area for a few years a while ago, it must be something in the water.

They really aren't the brightest bunch.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I have seen Churchman’s comments about you.

Presumably, he didn’t send you a message with Christmas greetings.

• Haha 1