IGNORED

Gas Rugby Fans

Cardy

Such a weird day with no match this avvo made all the more surreal seeing FB posts from Gas mates giving it the big one in The Heineken lounge prior to the rugby.

Today is one of the first times I have genuinely felt like we have lost a significant part of our club because of Mr Lansdown’s Bristol Sport franchising.

It would be just about bearable if our football team had actually got anywhere near the dream we were originally sold when the rugby club came on board. All in all I feel let down by how things have unfolded & the way SL put so much faith in Ashton.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Such a weird day with no match this avvo made all the more surreal seeing FB posts from Gas mates giving it the big one in The Heineken lounge prior to the rugby.

Today is one of the first times I have genuinely felt like we have lost a significant part of our club because of Mr Lansdown’s Bristol Sport franchising.

It would be just about bearable if our football team had actually got anywhere near the dream we were originally sold when the rugby club came on board. All in all I feel let down by how things have unfolded & the way SL put so much faith in Ashton.

I think you need to Google what a franchise is 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cardy said:

As long as their not singing that laborious Irene garbage 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve read this several times, but I just can’t understand what you mean. There are Rovers fans, who obviously support Bristol Rugby, in the Heineken lounge! Surely even a hardened Rovers fan once he or she is at Ashton Gate must realise how big the gulf Is between City and Rovers. How has developing Ashton Gate and bringing Bristol Rugby to the ground mean “ we have lost a significant part of our club because of Mr Lansdown’s Bristol Sport franchising.”? The more the ground is used 24/7 the better. To be successful a club just can’t use a ground to play it’s home matches. I can remember the old Ashton Gate and it was total crap. Thank you Steve Lansdown for spending your money to redevelop it 

Hallelujah Brother

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

If there are gas heads following Bristol Rugby at AG, the joke is very much on them. 

Absolutely, thanks for the money slagheads.

1 hour ago, Cardy said:

Such a weird day with no match this avvo made all the more surreal seeing FB posts from Gas mates giving it the big one in The Heineken lounge prior to the rugby

Giving it “the big one”?
The big what exactly?

• Like 1

I always found the Bristol rugby conjunction interesting

There must be many Rovers fans who are also die hard Bristol rugby fans. They must absolutely hate having to come to Ashton Gate to watch their team, I wonder how many stopped supporting the rugby because of it?

on the flip side there must also be a fair few Bath or Gloucester fans who don’t like the attachment between City and the rugby team. As a very casual rugby follower I used to be a bath “fan” as a youngster but now with the link I guess I’d rather see Bristol do well over Bath

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

I always found the Bristol rugby conjunction interesting

There must be many Rovers fans who are also die hard Bristol rugby fans. They must absolutely hate having to come to Ashton Gate to watch their team, I wonder how many stopped supporting the rugby because of it?

on the flip side there must also be a fair few Bath or Gloucester fans who don’t like the attachment between City and the rugby team. As a very casual rugby follower I used to be a bath “fan” as a youngster but now with the link I guess I’d rather see Bristol do well over Bath

Tbh the crowds they get down the gate since they moved here have been huge compared to what they got at the potato patch. If they did lose any fans they certainly gained more than what they lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There have always been football fans who follow and support Bristol Rugby. And likewise Bristol Rugby fans who follow City and Rovers. In former days, I and City fans went to the Mem to rugby matches. Now Rovers fans come to Ashton Gate for Bristol home games.

So what is new? For true supporters it isn't a problem.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Especially as so many declared they would never step inside Ashton gate to watch the rugby.

I have a friend who is a Gashead and a Bristol rugby fan. He swore he would never set foot in the stadium but back in the summer we attended an event there and managed to get an unofficial behind the scenes tour and dragged him along.

He normally never can bring himself to say one positive thing about City or Bears He was a regular at the Mem for the rugby but gave them up when we got them, he felt that strongly. But he did admit the facillities both for the teams, dressing rooms etc and the hospitality quality was 'worlds away' from what the Gas could offer and he sees no time in the future they will be anywhere near even with us. But in a strange way he says he likes it like that as we have chased the corporate cash and lost something by doing so.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I have a friend who is a Gashead and a Bristol rugby fan. He swore he would never set foot in the stadium but back in the summer we attended an event there and managed to get an unofficial behind the scenes tour and dragged him along.

He normally never can bring himself to say one positive thing about City or Bears He was a regular at the Mem for the rugby but gave them up when we got them, he felt that strongly. But he did admit the facillities both for the teams, dressing rooms etc and the hospitality quality was 'worlds away' from what the Gas could offer and he sees no time in the future they will be anywhere near even with us. But in a strange way he says he likes it like that as we have chased the corporate cash and lost something by doing so.

As you would when you have nothing going for you other than being piss poor & playing in a dump

2 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

If there are gas heads following Bristol Rugby at AG, the joke is very much on them. 

Indeed. I unfortunately know a couple of hard core gas heads both from hanham who will literally avoid driving or coming south of the river at all unless they absolutely HAVE too.

As you said Any sags that coming to Ashton gate on their on free will and put money in our coffers the joke really is on them!

4 hours ago, Cardy said:

Fair call if you’re going to bash Lansdown on footballing matters, but not so much if you’re bashing the development off the field…

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

But in a strange way he says he likes it like that as we have chased the corporate cash and lost something by doing so.

Yeah, sure he likes it like that...?

Bet he loves sitting in a tent whilst visiting fans laugh at him.

They’re all jealous beyond belief, over a Century of history at Ashton Gate...our spiritual home.

They will never have that and they know it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yeah, sure he likes it like that...?

Bet he loves sitting in a tent whilst visiting fans laugh at him.

They’re all jealous beyond belief, over a Century of history at Ashton Gate...our spiritual home.

They will never have that and they know it.

And I suspect he was one of the `sixth richest club in the league, unlucky da shit` brigade,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

50 minutes ago, RedM said:

People that say they "like it like that" when "that" is a relative shambles are just deluded (which fits).

If they were offered a 40yo Renault or a brand new BMW I can't see them picking the Renault!

Edited by Pezo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve read this several times, but I just can’t understand what you mean. There are Rovers fans, who obviously support Bristol Rugby, in the Heineken lounge! Surely even a hardened Rovers fan once he or she is at Ashton Gate must realise how big the gulf Is between City and Rovers. How has developing Ashton Gate and bringing Bristol Rugby to the ground mean “ we have lost a significant part of our club because of Mr Lansdown’s Bristol Sport franchising.”? The more the ground is used 24/7 the better. To be successful a club just can’t use a ground to play it’s home matches. I can remember the old Ashton Gate and it was total crap. Thank you Steve Lansdown for spending your money to redevelop it 

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

This must go down as one of the strangest 'dig at Lansdown' posts to date!

I see he's not been back to follow up his OP...!

Uttely bizzare posting - like a little child who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas, having a tantrum.