IGNORED

City release accounts - Ouch!

Henry

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Now we have the bottom line figure, would be good to know from those that are good at working things out like @Davefevs as to where we stand in the market and what we have to play with.

I assume based on this figure, we are solely reliant on loans or getting rid of players not in the bus before we can spend.

This situation is certainly testing our academy but in the long term, can only be a good thing towards being self sufficient whilst getting back to realising profit from said players when they become in demand.

Eff all.

Seriously though, I’ve only looked at the high-level numbers, we are ok FFP-wise until the end of this season.  Next season it gets hairy, so this window and the summer window are hugely constrained by shifting players off the wage bill.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ouch. We knew it was coming but it's still an eye watering amount.

The best bit is that we'll still get at least half a dozen threads over the next month or so whining that we aren't spending any money.

100% agree. 

@ the Mods can we pin this thread to the top of the Forum so we can refer people to it over January?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Eff all.

Seriously though, I’ve only looked at the high-level numbers, we are ok FFP-wise until the end of this season.  Next season it gets hairy, so this window and the summer window are hugely constrained by shifting players off the wage bill.

Wasn't there speculation (before Covid) that perhaps this season or maybe last we'd have been able to 'go for it' a bit FFP wise? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

I notice that Mark Ashton isn’t listed as a director in the accounts even though he was during this accounting period. It’s normal practice to still list him in the accounts but with his resignation date in brackets (if occurred before accounts have been released). Presumably they didn’t want to disclose his remuneration in note 7, for us all to baffle at!

He was never a director of Bristol City Holdings Ltd, only Bristol City Football Club Ltd. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Perhaps the owner might take a moment to spell this out in plain English to his supporters to take a little heat off his manager? 

That is what I want….I don’t want to hear the reasons, I want to hear the impacts / constraints going forward. With no spin!

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

Won't seem to download on my phone and can look in full later but does anyone know if there are any unusual items buried in the cost base?

Big impairment in Player Registrations, that kinda thing.

Further, also bear in mind that the sacking of LJ, Mcallister and Holden all fell in 2020/21 reporting period. These are non recurring costs that shouldn't be repeated although Downing and Simpson were sacked this season? Perhaps a bit less though.

Looks like we'll have to consider offers for the likes of Bentley, Semenyo, Massengo etc to avoid penalties in the next couple of years which means relegation battles and forget about promotion for a while. Given our wage bill is only around mid-table for this league other clubs must be faced with similar dilemma.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Geeze wasn't expecting it to be quite so bad. Reducing the wage bill is obviously very important over the next two windows. Whos contract do we have running down? Palmer ? Wells?

Hardly any one. O’Dowda probably the only one on decent money. And watch him get an extension…

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Okay, a few reasons to be slightly optimistic.

The academy are starting to produce players who look fairly comfortable playing in the Championship and whilst there is no way we wouldn't have to listen to offers for them if someone comes calling, they have been developed by the club and will be on reasonably low wages.

The players who are here just for the coin are easily identified and should they get close to 1st team action, they'll be under no illusion that their effort is going to be under scrutiny, so they might choose to run that extra yard to avoid grief.

As supporters we have to accept that we are skint and we won't be spending money any time soon.

Who is responsible for these numbers? Anyone who feels obliged to wear a suit on a match day has to take some of the blame, and the further up the food chain you go, the more accountable they are.

I just hope that fans rally and let SL know how much him and his generosity is appreciated.

True enough, but I'd like to hear what the plan is to get out of this mess. I think most of us, regardless of wealth would look at this and say "this has to stop, we need to do something different".  I know some of this is due to factors beyond anyones control, but he must be fuming about this. Be honest with supporters and say what's changing and why. A bit of honesty goes a long way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wasn't there speculation (before Covid) that perhaps this season or maybe last we'd have been able to 'go for it' a bit FFP wise? 

I always thought in theory that this season in isolation promotion or bust meant we could have gone for it a bit but real deep trouble if we had tried that and failed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It is also probable that they needed to be filed as we are in discussions with the EFL about our transfer policy within FFP considerations. There is mention of those discussions in the accounts. Sounds like we are close to a soft embargo and have to file accounts and provide projections. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ouch. Otoh broadly in line with my expectations/fears.

Not read anything but the main article yet, certainly not read them in full.

@billywedlock mentioned something about future trading talks with the EFL. That sounds about right, we're in that zone clearly between upper and lower loss limits- future trading talks etc are whereby club and EFL talk, club submit what they forecast to be their Projected Accounts and FFP losses for the following couple of seasons. ie 2021/22 and 2022/23. Quite a few clubs will probably be in such talks with the EFL, the basic objective is that 3 year FFP losses are kept to no more than £39m at any given time.

Covered by Future Financial Information regs that I've mentioned on occasion.

I digress, FFP wise:

1) I think we're fine to 2020/21.

2) To 2021/22 as well.

3) As for the losses in 2019/20 and 2020/21, these are added together and halved.

4) A very quick scan of the press release suggests £14m in losses attributable to Covid? You can knock that off the losses.

5) I believe our typical FFP costs to be £4-5m per season. Obviously subtract those from the headline losses.

As for when we can spend with relative freedom again at this level? Barring big sales or benefitting from major sell on clauses, it would be IMO 2023/24.

My earlier tweet.  As you point out we have to do 3 year projections if you are over lower limit.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes, pretty much utilising the 18/19 profit.  That notion went out the window though with covid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Excatly that and yet many fans still bemoan the owner!!!

We would be gone without the Lansdown,s.

A striker could be on the cards if we get rid of Palmer, Dasilva, Vyner, Simpson, Wells but what are their total worth?

And who will want them?

Why would we be gone without him? Please explain.

A lot of the losses are down to his mistakes and bad football decisions as they are every year 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I know nothing about this sort of thing but isn’t this, between Christmas and new year, an odd time to announce this?

Or is it done just before the transfer window on purpose?

I’ve noticed that Pearson has said in a number of interviews that, to manage expectations, City need to be open and transparent as to ‘where we are’. So releasing this now would be aligned to that sentiment. 

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

I notice that Mark Ashton isn’t listed as a director in the accounts even though he was during this accounting period. It’s normal practice to still list him in the accounts but with his resignation date in brackets (if occurred before accounts have been released). Presumably they didn’t want to disclose his remuneration in note 7, for us all to baffle at!

The accounts only list the directors of the holding company. Ashton was never a director of that company. For the same reason Gould isn't listed either. Nothing sinister.

5 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

I would expect a drop in the wage bill for 2021/22 following the departure of the OOC players at the end of last season.

Also imperative the likes KP are off the payroll as soon as possible. 

Yes, anywhere between £5-7m I reckon cut off the wage bill.  Got to move out those players not playing - Palmer, Dasilva, Moore (on loan) and Wells.  Whether that be on loan or permanently, we must cut the wage bill / bloat.

54 minutes ago, North London Red said:

The 6-7 weeks’ worth of season ticket sales for 2021-22 which were made before 31 May will only be recognised as P&L revenue in the accounts for the year ended 31 May 2022. None of it will be recognised in the P&L in the year to 31 May 2021.

The accounting entries for these sales in the 2021 accounts will be debit cash, credit deferred revenue (as Ole noted in a later post).

Then in the 2022 accounts the accounting entries will be debit deferred revenue, credit P&L revenue, to match the ticket revenue to the period which it relates to. 

Very happy to stand corrected!

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Anyone know why staff costs rose by nearly £1m in one year? 

Surely can’t be player wages, you’d have thought that would’ve come down. 

ignore this - (Should’ve waited til I got to page 33 on the accounts) 

Page 33 of the accounts! You must be a glutton for punishment. The headline figure of £38m loss was enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

This is why I keep saying Ashton going is equivalent to the period when Pulis left us with an aging squad, on big money, on long contracts. It took us years of treading water at L1 level before we were able to challenge again. Pearson's task is to attempt to do that at Championship level. 3 years to get that season off the books (or turn one of the Academy lads into a £40m sale)

It could be worse than the Pulis disaster. We had an aging squad, on big money, on long contracts when City was relegated from Division 1 with Alan Dicks as manager. (Salaries were much smaller then, but City paid comparatively high wages).  I don’t think it will be administration and sinking to the bottom division now, but relegation to League One, either this season or next, is a distinct possibility. If Reading or Derby didn’t have a points deduction City would only be 5 points above Cardiff who would be in the third relegation place. Even if relegation is avoided, selling players such as Scott, Benarous and Semenyo in the near future seems to be inevitable. They will go for bargain fees because City are desperate for money. 

Lots of worried voices and concerns, and I share them.

But let's hold off on the doom mongering until we have heard from an expert on the subject, someone beyond reproach who will doubtless have the inside track. I refer of course to the world's most successful IT engineer who spends his days fixing laptops in BS3 and voicing but verifiable fact.

Henbury Gas will be sure to have had someone in his shop who will have told him that SL is skint, the club is available to buy for 2 magic beans and a crunchie and that unless we sell 84 billion pounds worth of players by a week last Tuesday, Wally has an option to buy Ashton Gate for 2 hours rental on one of those e scooters.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Letting players like Diedhiou and Paterson walk out of the club for free was criminal.

But if nobody is willing and/or able to take them off our hands, what are we supposed to do?

The comment about getting value on the pitch for Diedhiou, was poorly timed especially when it was common knowledge that we were unable to offer contracts to certain players but had made him a huge offer. That created a huge gulf in the squad.

Secondly I think it was his way of putting a huge come and get him sign above his head. Unfortunately for us, his gamble backfired and nobody wanted to take him on on the huge wages he wanted (or that we offered). The clever man was made to look stupid. 

We would also never have got a big money offer for Paterson as he was so inconsistent - a point made to us when we signed him, and one proven by him barely setting the league alight since he left.

Annoying that they left for free I agree, however neither were worth the money they were on when they left.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

But let's hold off on the doom mongering until we have heard from an expert on the subject, someone beyond reproach who will doubtless have the inside track. I refer of course to the world's most successful IT engineer who spends his days fixing laptops in BS3 and voicing but verifiable fact.

Henbury Gas will be sure to have had someone in his shop who will have told him that SL is skint, the club is available to buy for 2 magic beans and a crunchie and that unless we sell 84 billion pounds worth of players by a week last Tuesday, Wally has an option to buy Ashton Gate for 2 hours rental on one of those e scooters.

Yes.

I personally don’t give a shit what any so called ‘experts’ say, I want to hear from the big guns...Henbury Gas and Roy De Alien.

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

All because he has not been paid by Ashton Gate Ltd for his superb I.T. Consulting services for 3 months ?