IGNORED

Moving to Bristol

Ostrich

Fellas and Felladettes,

One is considering a move to Bristol (among other places). In short, I have a fully remote job, no commitments, am bored of living where I do now and am looking to move somewhere else, time for a new adventure. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't enjoy it after say 6 months then I'll have no tie and can escape, if I do then woop for all the upside.

I studied at uni in London and stayed there for work until the pandemic with a brief spell in Leeds, came back to my family home at the start of the pandemic and haven't moved since. Have no real desire to head back to London whilst I don't need to (maybe future work will dictate moving back one day) so let's find somewhere new. Have visited Bristol a handful of times - a couple of times for a weekend, a couple of times for the football (a win, a defeat and a win against the ones with squares on their shirts) but I'm not hugely knowledgeable beyond the standard everyone saying it's a great place to live cos x,y,z and lots of ex-Londoners moving out there. 

I'm a bit of a pretend country bumpkin so I don't want to live slap bang in the centre but I'm not yet ready to, so just the classic nice suburban/edge of the city area with an active social scene for young professionals and easy enough transport is what I'll be looking for.

I'm all for suggestions on where to live/help etc but let me also put it to you a bit differently to that, what are the things a local (or an adopted local even better) would tell an outsider to think about if moving to Bristol, either good or bad?

2 hours ago, Ostrich said:

Fellas and Felladettes,

One is considering a move to Bristol (among other places). In short, I have a fully remote job, no commitments, am bored of living where I do now and am looking to move somewhere else, time for a new adventure. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't enjoy it after say 6 months then I'll have no tie and can escape, if I do then woop for all the upside.

I studied at uni in London and stayed there for work until the pandemic with a brief spell in Leeds, came back to my family home at the start of the pandemic and haven't moved since. Have no real desire to head back to London whilst I don't need to (maybe future work will dictate moving back one day) so let's find somewhere new. Have visited Bristol a handful of times - a couple of times for a weekend, a couple of times for the football (a win, a defeat and a win against the ones with squares on their shirts) but I'm not hugely knowledgeable beyond the standard everyone saying it's a great place to live cos x,y,z and lots of ex-Londoners moving out there. 

I'm a bit of a pretend country bumpkin so I don't want to live slap bang in the centre but I'm not yet ready to, so just the classic nice suburban/edge of the city area with an active social scene for young professionals and easy enough transport is what I'll be looking for.

I'm all for suggestions on where to live/help etc but let me also put it to you a bit differently to that, what are the things a local (or an adopted local even better) would tell an outsider to think about if moving to Bristol, either good or bad?

If you’re working remotely I assume a fast Internet service is needed. St George, Stockwood or Filton are known to be fastest areas.

• Admin

Traffic is shit, the council seem to be hellbent on making it worse.  Some lovely areas on the outskirts, public transport is a bit crap as well.  Some good restaurants and bars, great countryside and country pubs within easy reach.

I like it ( mostly ) sometimes I have the misfortune to work in Doncaster, now that is a depressing place……

If you don’t have a car then I would strongly consider living within walking distance (1-2 miles maybe) of an area that you will likely want to frequently go too.  As said above, traffic is awful so personally I would struggle to get buses everywhere. If that isn’t a concern or if you have a car, then I would recommend looking at Pill, Easton-in-Gordano or Portishead if budget allows.  You have the feel of living in a village whilst also being close to Clifton and the centre (and Ashton Gate!).   Nice atmosphere in those places as well.  

Alternatively Horfield/Gloucester Road is great and close to the centre as well.  

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Alternatively Horfield/Gloucester Road is great and close to the centre as well.  

Yes, BS7 around "Bristol's vibrant Gloucester Road" is a fantastic place to live. But be prepared to pay £900 to £1,000 a month to rent a 1 bedroom flat.

Oh and there is one downside to living in this classy neighbourhood. Annoyingly, every couple of weeks we get an influx of surly, ill-mannered scruffs mouthing off in our pubs and cafes, all in their matching comedy jester shirts. They're mostly harmless but we locals tend to stay out of their way to be on the safe side. And do lock up your horses.
Edited by City Rocker

Frampton Cotterell , peaceful, a few pubs, country walks, 15 mins or less to the city centre off peak. No 'young professional scene' but you might find a scene of something up Chipping Sodbury High Street mind.

Or yes Horfield/ Bishopston way not as expensive as Clifton but similar variety of establishments. Not for me aged 34 anymore but might be good if you are mid to late twenties.

Edited by cidercity1987

On 28/12/2021 at 19:00, Ostrich said:

Fellas and Felladettes,

Depends how old you are really, what your budget is, and what your must-haves are. If you’re under 30 with no commitments, Southville or Bishopston are good options. If you have a bit of money, St Andrew’s, Clifton or Redland are your best bets. One word of caution though, the rental market is insane at the moment so you might find it difficult to get a place down here. 

Same some money, move to WsM. House prices are cheaper. Has a beach (although you cant swim in the sea cos of the mud at low tide) and its close enough to Bristol if you wanna get to the game. People may tell you its a druggies paradise but isnt anywhere these days? Anyhoo, just been voted number 10 on the UK top places people are moving to list. Somerset seaside town one of most in-demand coastal hotspots in UK  - Somerset Live (No Idea if thats just the paper bigging it up)

WsM is gonna be bigger than the city of Bath in a few years anyway.

Fantastic city.

I'm not from here and have lived in a a handful of places in the uk. For me it has a big enough city with whatever you want and can always hit the country side wherever you are.

I live in east bristol , St George  so can walk into town, but also get down on the river and in no time I feel like I'm in the sticks. Go all the way to Bath and beyond with lovely countryside.

The prices on property have boomed massively in the last 10 years though and I cant see them dropping much as many coming from London ?

On 28/12/2021 at 21:43, Maesknoll Red said:

Traffic is shit, the council seem to be hellbent on making it worse.  Some lovely areas on the outskirts, public transport is a bit crap as well.  Some good restaurants and bars, great countryside and country pubs within easy reach.

I like it ( mostly ) sometimes I have the misfortune to work in Doncaster, now that is a depressing place……

sometimes it can  take longer to drive across/around Bristol than to drive to Gloucester so...... move to Gloucester, traffic in Bristol is sh1te unless you ride a electric scooter, even then you are in danger of exceeding the speed limit.

57 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Try portishead, fantastic array of bars and restaurants, on the Coast with a vibrant marina

Sorry mate but did you leave out on the coast " of the Very Brown Bristol Channel"?

2 hours ago, When the river runs said:

Fantastic city.

I'm not from here and have lived in a a handful of places in the uk. For me it has a big enough city with whatever you want and can always hit the country side wherever you are.

I live in east bristol , St George  so can walk into town, but also get down on the river and in no time I feel like I'm in the sticks. Go all the way to Bath and beyond with lovely countryside.

The prices on property have boomed massively in the last 10 years though and I cant see them dropping much as many coming from London ?

?St GEORGE is marginally east Bristol, Kingswood was East Bristol now is surrounded by housing estates and places like Yate which are now East Bristol really, and sorry but there aint much countryside left now between Bristol and Bath. When I say countryside I mean you cannot see a house. :dunno:

On 28/12/2021 at 19:00, Ostrich said:

Fellas and Felladettes,

I've lived in quite a few places around the world.

Never lived in Bristol though. hope this helps.

• Flames 1

If you like the idea of the edge of the City, I would look at the South Glos areas where the metro links to the city are good. Lyde Green is nice as is Emersons green.

Barrs Court and Hanham are pleasant if a little pricey with decent links. The night bus runs all night and stops in Hanham as well as near Barrs and the metro bus runs direct to Lyde Green and Emersons.

The metrobus is pretty good tbh.

Interesting comments on this thread. I am at the other end of the age scale and thinking about retirement and a possible move back to "the homeland".

However the house prices in Bristol are high and despite living in Surrey it does not look like there would be any "spare change" in a move. I am also aware of the traffic and public  transport problems which are really putting me off.  Have thought about other locations on a train line into Bristol.

Living on the outskirts provides a perfect mix of urban excitement and peaceful, scenic surroundings. You might really enjoy areas like Clifton or Redland. These neighborhoods have a lively community feel and are just close enough to the city center, yet they provide easier access to the countryside for that bit of rural charm you're seeking.

When planning your move, ensuring you have a reliable moving company is crucial. I've previously found here https://threemovers.com/best-moving-companies/ that lists some of the best movers, which can be invaluable in making your transition as smooth as possible. Whether you're moving across the country or from just a town over, the right support can make all the difference.

Edited by Corkonian

I don't live in Bristol but have worked there a fair bit over the years.

Personally, if I was starting from scratch and working from home I would try to find a place with a decent view over the lid of the laptop and out of the 'office' (spare room) window. There are a fair few hills around the outskirts of the city which might offer some chances of that.

As you aren't commuting you could go anywhere. Good shouts about the seaside towns (views). I used to drive through Wick and Warmley a lot and that strikes me as close to nice countryside. If you like cycling there are routes on the old rail lines from there I am told.