IGNORED

Junior Reds

daored

10 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

They used to be. And I been looking for something like that for my 11 year old twin grandsons and found nothing 

Didn’t think there was, just thought worth double checking. £38 million lost and the club is doing nothing to encourage youngsters to the club.

I was in junior reds in 90’s still got my birthday cards signed by my ‘favourite’ player at the time - small gesture but priceless to a youngster 

Edited by daored
  • Like 3

I’ve mentioned before but my parents (John and Claire) were two of the main drivers of the Junior Reds, together with people like Carol, Stuart, Dawn, Terry, Jean, Joe and Lynne. Sadly too many of the above no longer with us. But it was a hell of a run - started in the mid 80’s after Ruth Thomas at the club had done the groundwork. First clubhouse was next to the old club shop by the Hirerite building and ended up in the bottom of the Dolman. IIRC, ended about mid 2000s for a variety of reasons - clubs weren’t as keen on reciprocal freebie tickets which meant the end of away game swaps, the tuck shop was no longer allowed as it wasn’t official club catering and most of the committees kids had got too old!

But it was a hell of a run. To have away games (about 10 a season) where you represented city against other teams supporters in the morning and then went to the afternoon game - for a very small fee - hooked so many people in for life. Mum sorted the coach trips which just covered the cost of the coach hire, and a couple of video rentals. We even ran a Junior Reds to Liverpool, which meant a lot of unauthorised absences from school.

I’m sounding Ron Manager here. But it was fantastic, and there is no reason why the club couldn’t start it again. With the morning games over Grenville Smyth. With the away trips. After all - what’s 50 tickets in lost income for 10 home games a season when it hooks kids for life?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 3

46 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I am Still receiving counselling from my junior reds coach trip to notts county away….I committed a huge crime! Eating a sandwich on the coach ! 
only good thing about junior reds is used to play matches at away grounds against other teams junior fans before the game.

I made many of those trips with my son where he played in lots of matches and was mascot for a couple of games thanks for the special memories john and claire banks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve mentioned before but my parents (John and Claire) were two of the main drivers of the Junior Reds, together with people like Carol, Stuart, Dawn, Terry, Jean, Joe and Lynne. Sadly too many of the above no longer with us. But it was a hell of a run - started in the mid 80’s after Ruth Thomas at the club had done the groundwork. First clubhouse was next to the old club shop by the Hirerite building and ended up in the bottom of the Dolman. IIRC, ended about mid 2000s for a variety of reasons - clubs weren’t as keen on reciprocal freebie tickets which meant the end of away game swaps, the tuck shop was no longer allowed as it wasn’t official club catering and most of the committees kids had got too old!

But it was a hell of a run. To have away games (about 10 a season) where you represented city against other teams supporters in the morning and then went to the afternoon game - for a very small fee - hooked so many people in for life. Mum sorted the coach trips which just covered the cost of the coach hire, and a couple of video rentals. We even ran a Junior Reds to Liverpool, which meant a lot of unauthorised absences from school.

I’m sounding Ron Manager here. But it was fantastic, and there is no reason why the club couldn’t start it again. With the morning games over Grenville Smyth. With the away trips. After all - what’s 50 tickets in lost income for 10 home games a season when it hooks kids for life?

I do remember your dad , who was the lady blonde hair who always wore a city coat which was red (probably doesn’t narrow it down)! Such a shame as our club has become more corporate it’s forgotten what’s important IMO

• Like 1