Jump to content
IGNORED

We did not play a ‘Striker’ for 90 mins at home


Better Red
 Share

Recommended Posts

We ain’t Man City.

No ‘Striker’ at home. Not sure I can remember the last time we did that.

With the sending off and the late goal this was not really mentioned.

Before anyone says it - Seymeyo is not a goal scorer at this level and should be played wide in a front three.

Wieman plays off a front man.

So why is it that we leave it to the 90th minute to bring one on.

Seymenyo was ineffective after the first 25 mins. He is an ‘almost’ player. Almost scores, almost intercepts, almost…

Not playing Wells or bringing him on after 80 mins plus is starting to cost us. 
 
He is a goal scorer at this level and would easily get 15 goals if he started as many games as Martin.

Not playing a Striker at home is shameful.

Not saying the team did not put a shift in but we need to play more on the front foot in the las 15/20 mins we are always hanging on.

Also if Bentley is not off in Jan then not playing him is mental. He is our captain FFS and dropping him looks ridiculous after we just lost. Sure if we win looks a great selection but we didn’t. Why upset  one of our better more consistent players.

So come on Nige we aint Man City and you ain’t Pep play a Striker.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

So our top scorer, top (inexperienced) young striker and the multimillion pound striker who came on towards the end don't count.

I said did not come on until the 90th minute. 

Seymenyo ain’t a Striker

Wieman is not a Striker either maybe too goal score but not a Striker

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I thought Semenyo was excellent & he certainly is a striker.

Did pretty much nothing after 25 mins onwards 

  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I thought Semenyo was excellent & he certainly is a striker.

That doesn't score goals.

I like him, he is raw, unpredictable and not frightened to run at people. However when you're after scoring goals, he's not one to rely on.

Interested to see the odds of him getting the first goal when he starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Taz said:

That doesn't score goals.

I like him, he is raw, unpredictable and not frightened to run at people. However when you're after scoring goals, he's not one to rely on.

Interested to see the odds of him getting the first goal when he starts.

Before this season Ben Brereton Diaz had never scored more than 7 in a season.


I am not saying Semenyo is a 20 goal player but seeing as he isn’t even 22 until next month I can see him improving & becoming a 12 a season one.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

That doesn't score goals.

I like him, he is raw, unpredictable and not frightened to run at people. However when you're after scoring goals, he's not one to rely on.

Interested to see the odds of him getting the first goal when he starts.

Ha, yeah.We could quote bookies odds and you'd still be laughing this time next year.  I'd imagine true odds to be between 15-1 and 20-1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Before this season Ben Brereton Diaz had never scored more than 7 in a season.


I am not saying Semenyo is a 20 goal player but seeing as he isn’t even 22 until next month I can see him improving & becoming a 12 a season one.

That's fair enough, even fewer people expected Bobby Reid to do as well as he did in that season for us.

When you have someone like Wells on the bench though, regardless of what's going on with him (as he is clearly not in Pearsons plans), but to put Semenyo on the pitch as our main threat is a dangerous game for a club in our position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Before this season Ben Brereton Diaz had never scored more than 7 in a season.


I am not saying Semenyo is a 20 goal player but seeing as he isn’t even 22 until next month I can see him improving & becoming a 12 a season one.

70 games and three goals

To put into perspective -Scott has played 20 games and scored 3 as well and does not play as far forward as Antoine.

He ain’t a Striker the reason I can say that with confidence is 

1. I Have watched him play

2. He don’t score goals.

I have no problem in him playing wide of a front three he does cause teams problem when he runs at the them but not as the main Striker through the middle because he can’t finish

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

If Weimann isn’t a striker we’ve got a 15 - 20 goals a season midfielder on our hands and our accounts will be much improved next year.

Normally will get you 10 a season and not much more than that.

Agree good return for someone who plays of a ‘Striker’ 

Agian shows Symenyo’s record up he would average 3 a season if you play him 35 games plus - Not a Striker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

That's fair enough, even fewer people expected Bobby Reid to do as well as he did in that season for us.

When you have someone like Wells on the bench though, regardless of what's going on with him (as he is clearly not in Pearsons plans), but to put Semenyo on the pitch as our main threat is a dangerous game for a club in our position.

Agree it feels like Nige is making a point with Wells but it’s at our exspence and we ain’t got enough points at this stage to have that sort of risk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Let’s start with 5 and that’s if you play him 35 games plus.

Agree pace and power and deserves a place in the team not as a main Striker though 

We could play off him with Wieman but the gaffa sees it different .  On his own today he never gave em an easy ride . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Normally will get you 10 a season and not much more than that.

Agree good return for someone who plays of a ‘Striker’ 

Agian shows Symenyo’s record up he would average 3 a season if you play him 35 games plus - Not a Striker

Hasnt he scored 1 in 5/6 games this season? If he played 40 games that would average out at 7/8 goals wouldnt it?  
semenyo up front gave us the power and pace to really take the game to qpr tonight. Im not knocking martin who has been flogged all season, but the difference today was night and day

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

We ain’t Man City.

No ‘Striker’ at home. Not sure I can remember the last time we did that.

With the sending off and the late goal this was not really mentioned.

Before anyone says it - Seymeyo is not a goal scorer at this level and should be played wide in a front three.

Wieman plays off a front man.

So why is it that we leave it to the 90th minute to bring one on.

Seymenyo was ineffective after the first 25 mins. He is an ‘almost’ player. Almost scores, almost intercepts, almost…

Not playing Wells or bringing him on after 80 mins plus is starting to cost us. 
 
He is a goal scorer at this level and would easily get 15 goals if he started as many games as Martin.

Not playing a Striker at home is shameful.

Not saying the team did not put a shift in but we need to play more on the front foot in the las 15/20 mins we are always hanging on.

Also if Bentley is not off in Jan then not playing him is mental. He is our captain FFS and dropping him looks ridiculous after we just lost. Sure if we win looks a great selection but we didn’t. Why upset  one of our better more consistent players.

So come on Nige we aint Man City and you ain’t Pep play a Striker.

I'm lost.

We're just seen one of our best performances offensively all season, chnaces created, movement, etc.

Yet this....

....what..?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Better Red said:

We ain’t Man City.

No ‘Striker’ at home. Not sure I can remember the last time we did that.

With the sending off and the late goal this was not really mentioned.

Before anyone says it - Seymeyo is not a goal scorer at this level and should be played wide in a front three.

Wieman plays off a front man.

So why is it that we leave it to the 90th minute to bring one on.

Seymenyo was ineffective after the first 25 mins. He is an ‘almost’ player. Almost scores, almost intercepts, almost…

Not playing Wells or bringing him on after 80 mins plus is starting to cost us. 
 
He is a goal scorer at this level and would easily get 15 goals if he started as many games as Martin.

Not playing a Striker at home is shameful.

Not saying the team did not put a shift in but we need to play more on the front foot in the las 15/20 mins we are always hanging on.

Also if Bentley is not off in Jan then not playing him is mental. He is our captain FFS and dropping him looks ridiculous after we just lost. Sure if we win looks a great selection but we didn’t. Why upset  one of our better more consistent players.

So come on Nige we aint Man City and you ain’t Pep play a Striker.

Deep sigh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Better Red said:

We ain’t Man City.

No ‘Striker’ at home. Not sure I can remember the last time we did that.

With the sending off and the late goal this was not really mentioned.

Before anyone says it - Seymeyo is not a goal scorer at this level and should be played wide in a front three.

Wieman plays off a front man.

So why is it that we leave it to the 90th minute to bring one on.

Seymenyo was ineffective after the first 25 mins. He is an ‘almost’ player. Almost scores, almost intercepts, almost…

Not playing Wells or bringing him on after 80 mins plus is starting to cost us. 
 
He is a goal scorer at this level and would easily get 15 goals if he started as many games as Martin.

Not playing a Striker at home is shameful.

Not saying the team did not put a shift in but we need to play more on the front foot in the las 15/20 mins we are always hanging on.

Also if Bentley is not off in Jan then not playing him is mental. He is our captain FFS and dropping him looks ridiculous after we just lost. Sure if we win looks a great selection but we didn’t. Why upset  one of our better more consistent players.

So come on Nige we aint Man City and you ain’t Pep play a Striker.

Bentley is Captain Calamity on his general form this season tbh. Nothing O’Leary did cost us the points last night but if you want me to give you examples of Bentley costing us points this season there are a few. The club has rules and if only one player can’t or won’t follow them then he can go and **** himself. Entirely right call by Nige who, unlike you as a fan, has to look beyond the end of his nose and Bentley will get his place back when it is right to do so.

  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched the game with my brother and was explaining to him that Semenyo will be awesome when it clicks into place for him, whenever that will be and whatever “it” is. His response was 2 goals in 60 games. I stood by my initial comment. On another day he would have scored two, that dummy-shot/ mid-air Cruyff turn-volley thing he did which their keeper saved well at the near post, was class. Then he missed a tap-in a couple of minutes later which brushed past two defenders before he saw it late, may have gone in if he had another like it. 
 

I felt some sort of optimism or expectation whenever he picked up the ball today, like something positive was going to happen. I think his pace and strength make him electrifying to watch.  He chased everything down and got cramp which suggests he ran more than he should have. I’m also enjoying his link  up play with COD. 
 

If we can afford to keep giving him chances I think we should rather than waste the 60 games we’ve already given him. 
 

If he does turn into a goal machine it will save us a fortune in the long run. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...