IGNORED

Max O’Leary

Lrrr

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

A few duff goal kicks, but seemed very steady otherwise.

He had a very good game tonight, improvement on Bentley tonight imo - his handling was good and he came off his line a few times.

But he does need to sort out his distribution, there is a big mistake waiting in that regard.

Not just dead ball kicks but decision making when going short.

More he plays, the better he will be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Bentley was dropped as he ‘didn’t follow the rules’.  No idea what those rules are 

Well whatever these rules are if we have twenty odd pro’s following them and one Billy Big Bollocks saying “**** it, I’ll do what I want” then he has to be benched or dropped whoever and whatever he is. I think it’s an opportune time to take the captaincy away from him, a GK should hardly ever be Captain of any side imo.

• Like 2

At last a goalkeeper who looks comfortable with the ball at his feet. I thought we looked a much better team by playing out from the back (big shout out to Scott who kept showing for the ball). Max was even rolling it out to our players and kept moving the ball quickly rather than the slow predictable Bentley, followed by a long hoof up field. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I can’t believe we’re back to slating Bentley again, good performance from Max but Bents has saved us (literally) time and time again

Bentley is a good keeper at Championship level who, in my opinion, is not imposing enough to be a FIRST CHOICE in the league above - he's a great shot stopper who doesn't come for enough crosses and his distribution is significantly behind the levels that most Premiership Managers would expect from their Goalkeeper. It's not slating the guy, it's an honest appraisal of where he currently is. Goalkeeping is not shot stopping, end of, and to hell with everything else. You've got to be able to do everything to a good standard to play regularly for seasons on end in the Premier League.

The highlighted bit, this season anyway is a bit exaggerated imo. Looking at our wins this season QPR is the game that stands out as one where Bentley's performance won us the game. There are also games where he has cost us points with late errors such as Luton and Forest. Overall I think Bentley's standards have dropped slightly from last season when there certainly were a lot more games that he single handedly earned us points and I certainly don't see him as a player that is so key to our chances of survival that he can be allowed to break rules other players have to abide by and still keep his place in the side.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I also thought Max caught a couple that Bents would have punched which was a bonus. Based on last night's performance he has to keep his place, he'll probably have a poor game at some stage giving an excuse to bring Bents back but he'll realise he's got some competition next time which can only be a good thing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Thought he did really well. His distribution, decision making and technical ability on the ball were an improvement on Bentley's hoof ball, which could have been a reason why he was dropped.

Certainly the distribution part, a couple of interesting kick outs aside.

He definitely looked to find a man rather than hit areas.

Punched it away more than Bentley does, but was decisive with them & got good distance.

No idea if he could have done anything about the winner but certain to start v Millwall.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Only watched the first half but thought he put tempo into our play rather than slowing/calming everything down, which Dan Bentley is very guilty of.

My big question mark on Max is his physicality - can he dominate his box?

He needs a run of games now so we get to find out.

I know two wrongs don't make a right but does Bentley "dominate"? Like you say we need to play the lad and find out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Reasonable game. Didn’t really have any major shots to save though. I like Max, but for me the only time he should be playing is when Bentley cannot. 

It’s not as simple as that imo because when you look at the game as a whole we played our best football of the season and a big part of that was down to Max playing the ball out when Bentley would have put his foot through it. In that respect he made a significant positive impact. That doesn’t help if he makes handling errors etc. but last night he didn’t.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

I think he had a a great game, neither of the goals were his fault and his handling of shots was great. He caught shots that Bentley would have parried and think he has better handling and distribution IMO.

Bentley is definitely not the issue with us at all but I think Max has improved a lot since his last run of games from what I saw last night. I think if we get a good offer for Bents and Max stays looking solid then we should probably take it because it would free up a little bit cash for a position we are weaker in.

• Like 1

Just now, YCbrs said:

I think he had a a great game, neither of the goals were his fault and his handling of shots was great. He caught shots that Bentley would have parried and think he has better handling and distribution IMO.

Bentley is definitely not the issue with us at all but I think Max has improved a lot since his last run of games from what I saw last night. I think if we get a good offer for Bents and Max stays looking solid then we should probably take it because it would free up a little bit cash for a position we are weaker in.

The issue if we sell Bentley is we then need to get another keeper in regardless of how well Max is playing. Because the next question is would you be happy relying on Wiles Richards for six weeks if O’Leary got clattered.

• Like 3

Oh without a doubt I completely agree. I wouldn’t do it in January unless we had a back up deal done and dusted so think it would be more prudent to do any deal in the Summer. Obviously last night was only one game so nobody knows if it was just one good performance. Only time will tell I guess.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The issue if we sell Bentley is we then need to get another keeper in regardless of how well Max is playing. Because the next question is would you be happy relying on Wiles Richards for six weeks if O’Leary got clattered.

That would be the case.  I would hope we find a youngish keeper who would come in and be ready to compete with Max for the shirt but do so without being paid £10k a week or having a fee of several million.

It shouldn't be too difficult.   

2 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Oh without a doubt I completely agree. I wouldn’t do it in January unless we had a back up deal done and dusted so think it would be more prudent to do any deal in the Summer. Obviously last night was only one game so nobody knows if it was just one good performance. Only time will tell I guess.

Always felt in the past he has been very steady & calm...

One game sticks in my mind was Villa away,,obviously a while ago - outstanding performance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Always felt in the past he has been very steady & calm...

One game sticks in my mind was Villa away,,obviously a while ago - outstanding performance.

Yeah I feel more comfortable when he’s in goal, Bentley is good but he’s a bit sketchy at times and although he probably has the ability to pull off a wonder save that Max couldn’t, I just prefer an all round safer keeper personally.

• Like 2