IGNORED

Max O’Leary

Lrrr

10 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Yeah I feel more comfortable when he’s in goal, Bentley is good but he’s a bit sketchy at times and although he probably has the ability to pull off a wonder save that Max couldn’t, I just prefer an all round safer keeper personally.

Not sure Max will ever dominate his box at set pieces to the level that gives real comfort, but Dan doesn’t either. Think the key thing NP was unhappy with DB about, Max was at least doing his best to try and improve, ie distribution (feet and hands). Didn’t get it right every time, but felt it contributed significantly to our ability to play more effectively through the 3rds (combined with solid centre mids, guile from Scott, plus pace wide and up top). Looks to have sweeper keeper potential, which DB doesn’t.

All sounds like a massive dig at DB, which guess it is up to a point (along with Massengo he’s the player I tend to have a lower opinion of than the OTIB average - based on deep AI analytics/guesswork), but still a decent mid Championship keeper, just not higher without some improvement, in my view. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Offside said:

O’Leary did well tonight, I thought he looked confident and composed. 

One thing about Max is he does seem to be able to drop into the team when called on and produce. His City career has been in and out of the team - not always with good reason - and I don't think he's ever let us down. If we need to sell Bents to make some room in squad/wage bill, then I'm fine with Max as No1 for a while to see if he can step up.

• Like 5

Has been really patient with better players ahead of him. I really want to praise him for that. He is a real good keeper who will get better with more game-time.

If I was behind all the other keepers i'd get fed up and want to get some gametime elsewhere but he has stayed and waited for his chance.

If Bentley has to go for whatever reason then let's get behind this boy and give him the support he deserves.

Only played a handful of games for us but whenever called upon he has never let us down, those Villa and WBA (cup game - his debut?) away games stick in my mind.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

One thing about Max is he does seem to be able to drop into the team when called on and produce. His City career has been in and out of the team - not always with good reason - and I don't think he's ever let us down. If we need to sell Bents to make some room in squad/wage bill, then I'm fine with Max as No1 for a while to see if he can step up.

Yep, completely agree. I like Bentley, he is a good keeper, but I’d have no problem with Max being number 1 if Bentley is sold. 

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not sure Max will ever dominate his box at set pieces to the level that gives real comfort, but Dan doesn’t either. Think the key thing NP was unhappy with DB about, Max was at least doing his best to try and improve, ie distribution (feet and hands). Didn’t get it right every time, but felt it contributed significantly to our ability to play more effectively through the 3rds (combined with solid centre mids, guile from Scott, plus pace wide and up top). Looks to have sweeper keeper potential, which DB doesn’t.

All sounds like a massive dig at DB, which guess it is up to a point (along with Massengo he’s the player I tend to have a lower opinion of than the OTIB average - based on deep AI analytics/guesswork), but still a decent mid Championship keeper, just not higher without some improvement, in my view. 

Yeah I feel like how I came across too, Bentley is no mug for a championship keeper, we’ve had some serious shockers. However Max does have the capability to do the job whereas further up the pitch it seems like we don’t know the answer at all and we need some new faces.

If we weren’t stuck financially I wouldn’t really be bothered and more than happy with Bents staying but I just feel like we could get a nice little wedge for him for some wages for loans/frees or a smallish transfer fee on a younger striker doing well in the League One like Scott Twine or someone of that nature.

Never been too confident in Max between the sticks if I'm honest, but if he is going to need a run of games to decide if he can be a long term number 1 here, this is the ideal time to do it. Certainly not going up, and very probably not going down, the rest of this season can be used as a gauge as to Max's capabilities. 

• Like 2

From a personal view, more errors had been occurring with Bents as the season went on. Be it gaffes or distribution.

I'd say on balance, O'Leary can be as good as Bents on current evidence. It's just that they differ on what their strengths are.

Either way, if for drops, you're dropped. Pearson's shown now that nobody, not even Martin or Bentley, are undroppable.

If selling Bents means we cut the wage budget further, reinvesting the difference for another position, I.e. winger, right-back. So be it.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

How much woukd we get for Bentley, currently?  £2m, £3m tops?  I don’t believe he’s off, purely a team selection decision on Thursday imho.

No more than £3m.

I’m with you, though if Max gets a run in the side now, it might make DB wonder how long he wants to sit on the bench here.

Then doing so for a Prem side has more attraction.

Sorry to be a party pooper, I don't see where this love in with Max has been earned. He's played the odd game here and there over the years and never managed to shift any of the keepers out and keep the first team place for himself.

In my opinion based on past appearances, he's too small of frame and too timid to ever dominate his area. He's a boy in a mans world. I have grave concerns when he comes up against Smith and Afobe tomorrow, if selected again.

He did ok against QPR and his distribution was not bad, unfortunately, he fumbled the ball a couple of times and made rash decisions when coming and failing to punch the ball from crosses. To let the ball in from a glancing header at the near post, was in my opinion poor. 

He has shown in the past that he's a tendency to stand on his line when the opposition are there to be intimidated and the ball taken from them in front of goal.

I hope Bentley is not off, as he is definitely the better of two keepers that have similar traits.  Having said that, a more mature dominant keeper is what I'd like to see, to prevent the need to have to make point blank saves.

Having said all that, I would be pleasantly surprised if Max has improved to a point where I expect him to not let the side down with an unforced mistake, or an act of indecision.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

He’s only going to improve with experience. 

He's 26 (I think) now Major, where's he going to get it? I know keepers develop at  a different rate than outfield players but, they have certain attributes at an early age, speed of thought, great reactions, bravery, fast feet to get across goal and nowadays, good footballing abilities. I feel he's lacking in two of those and no amount of experience will bring those to the table. Similar to flapper and I expect him to eventually drop down through the leagues, especially when he gets fed up being number two.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thanks. He needs to be first choice now, somewhere.

Agree.  I posted earlier (somewhere) he has the same strengths and weaknesses as Bentley.

Bentley, as it stands today is the better keeper, but I think he’s regressed and there is no longer as much difference between them.

Bents might’ve needed a kick up the arse.  Will be interesting to see if he responds…or on the flipside Max matures his skillset with minutes.

I thought Max played fine. I like his calmness (which Pearson also mentioned). Having watched the Quest highlights, though, I wonder whether Bentley might have got to the header for QPR’s winner with his ability to spring off the ground. We’ll never know of course! Max doesn’t leave the ground until the ball is behind him (best angle to see this is the replay taken from the corner.) Perhaps I’m being harsh. I do regard O’Dowda more at fault for that goal - no challenge at all on the guy who scored. 

Reference the first Millwall goal.

Initially I thought that Max should have left the goal line in an effort to stop the cross to the Millwall scorer.

But after watching highlights a few times, and seeing the similarity with Massengo's pass for Weimann's second goal, I have to give credit to both passers who hit crosses with real pace and the positioning of the scorers.

Neither Max or the Millwall keeper stood much chance to stop either.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Max is now number 1,  it’s down to Bentley to up his game.  With Max being a good footballer we keep possession more.  It’s no surprise that with max at the back the defence looks more in control.  IMO. 

Bentley is better with his feet than he has shown this season….his kicking has gone to pot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Reference the first Millwall goal.

Initially I thought that Max should have left the goal line in an effort to stop the cross to the Millwall scorer.

But after watching highlights a few times, and seeing the similarity with Massengo's pass for Weimann's second goal, I have to give credit to both passers who hit crosses with real pace and the positioning of the scorers.

Neither Max or the Millwall keeper stood much chance to stop either.

It was an unbelievable cross, I thought Max should possibly have come for it but the real issue was Towler had completely lost Bradshaw that close in & wasn’t in a position to put him off at all.

Next few weeks will be interesting, think unless he makes a number of errors he’ll get a run in the team now.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley is better with his feet than he has shown this season….his kicking has gone to pot.

I think he has lost a bit of confidence and looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet (more than usual anyway). Hence, he's usually lumping it anywhere up field rather than passing the ball. With NP often saying we need to retain the ball better, he must have been frustrated with him giving the ball away so often. 

I've criticised Max in the past for having poor distribution/decision making, but he's obviously been working on that as it was noticeable that he was playing out from the back much more than Bentley, and quicker as well. He still had a few wobbles, especially when he does those overhead throws which are in the air too long, but generally I thought he did ok with his distribution.

Of the two, I'd rather have Bentley when on form and confidence high.

But I'd rather have Maenpaa over the pair of them tbh.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I've criticised Max in the past for having poor distribution/decision making, but he's obviously been working on that as it was noticeable that he was playing out from the back much more than Bentley, and quicker as well.

Me too.

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

But I'd rather have Maenpaa over the pair of them tbh.

Me too.