IGNORED

Max O’Leary

Lrrr

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Reference the first Millwall goal.

Initially I thought that Max should have left the goal line in an effort to stop the cross to the Millwall scorer.

But after watching highlights a few times, and seeing the similarity with Massengo's pass for Weimann's second goal, I have to give credit to both passers who hit crosses with real pace and the positioning of the scorers.

Neither Max or the Millwall keeper stood much chance to stop either.

I think you should trust your instincts. The two crosses were both good but, Massengo's was through a field of players obscuring the keepers view, and Weimann made contact from about 8 yards out. For the Millwall goal, there was a completely uninterrupted view of the flight of the ball for O'Leary to make a judgement. Bradshaw made the judgement from further away and met the ball about four yards out, O'Leary did exactly what I'd feared and previously stated. He watched the cross travel some 35 to 40 yards, stood on his line and allowed Bradshaw a free unopposed header from about four yards from the goal, while he jumped over the ball like a startled cat. It was an appalling lack of bravery, initiative in reducing the amount of goal and if I was in that position I'd have been embarrassed to have let the striker get near that ball without fear of being injured.

I'm sorry but he'll continue to make the same decisions and get lauded on here for doing what he's supposed to do when making saves. Keeping goal is about so much more. If you don't possess the natural attributes, as in closing down attackers, reducing an angle and being brave, then no amount of coaching and experience will make up for that. He is a boy in a mans game. The very least he should have done is come face to face with Bradshaw, there's then no way the header is going to go through his body. As he's only played about 20 games for us, I believe I recall three occasions where he's done exactly the same, not a very good ratio, in my opinion.

Peter Bonetti was nicknamed the cat, that was due to his agility, O'Leary could also be nicknamed the cat, because he gets frightened so easily.