IGNORED

Dropping the captain.

Oh Louie louie

1 minute ago, Bedred31 said:

Perhaps Pearson realises Bentley is a potential target and is looking to take him out of the shop window? LJ was reconciled to the continuous loss of his best players. Like to think that Pearson will put up more of a fight. 

Apparently Pearson was unaware of any interest in Bentley (could be telling lies) and dropped him for disciplinary reasons which would be a bizarre reason to state if he was dropped due to interest from Premier League clubs. All you would have to say is "he dislocated a finger in training and whilst he's fit enough for the bench we didn't want to take a risk with him starting"......easy. So on that basis I would have to think Pearson was telling the truth.

If it’s not because of a Jan transfer then it’s very poor management.

I don’t recall anybody saying drop Bentley.

He has been consistently one of our better players for past 2 years.

We did not play a Striker last night as well.

People will say we played well  - really that was only the first 25 mins.

And let’s not forget we lost last night and that is ultimately the bottom line.

• Like 4

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

Are we meant to be picking the team by committee? Did I miss the circular email asking for my starting XI?

It’s not an email, it’s a Doodle poll.

Personally think dropping Bentley was fair - can’t be that the only way a number two gets a chance, is if the incumbent is constantly throwing the ball into his own net. Whilst some of Bentley’s shot stopping is great, too often he pushes it out towards strikers, rather than away. His distribution is far from great, Max’s looked a lot more deliberate last night, even if imperfect. And DB shows no signs of wanting to be any kind of sweeper keeper, often rooted to his 6 yard box when long balls are played through. For me, a combination of his shot stopping, contrasted by points above, make him decent at mid table Championship, definitely not immune to being dropped. Also prefer an outfield captain, but clearly that’s not DB’s fault. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Bentley broke the rules. A good manager doesn’t let someone off for that no matter how good the player is. Should be one rule for all. That’s good management.   No idea why you think Bentley should be favoured 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, lenred said:

If he’s has broken club rules - whatever they are - then it’s not poor management at all, it’s quite the opposite.  It’s part of the culture that needs to be instilled at the club.  No one is bigger than the team - even the captain. 

Following club rules has to be a given and punishments have to be consistent and what you said they would be otherwise you end up with no rules being followed and having to try and manage 22 bitches scratching each others eyes out. The fact that a very small minority (to be fair) don't understand that favourtism cannot be given and what the outcome will be if you do go down that route of allowing some to break the rules and others not is astonishing.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Bents is a good goalie. The issues are we have not a team yet that can consistently perform in this league under NP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Nigel didn’t say that Bentley broke any rules. 

Whatever the semantics, if Bentley was dropped because he broke rules, failed to observe protocols or whatever it is he didn't do that all the other players were able to do in line with the laid down expectations of the Management then putting him on the bench is the correct thing to do.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Better Red said:

I thought O'Leary did well and seems a a safer option. Calmer demeanour, more considered and accurate distribution ( throw out to Semenyo 2nd half on the right wing an example). Bentley is probably more capable of the spectacular but the flip side of that is he's got a howler in him. 

O'Leary needs a few games now to see if he can really own the shirt given the chance. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It makes more sense for James to be captain. 

We said at the game last night maybe that was part of whatever was going on. Agree it makes more sense for James to be skipper but on the other hand it’s harsh to strip the captaincy mid season. Tricky one. 

35 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Pearson said on RB that he thought Bentley has not been at his best and that Max was looking good. The only rules he is referring too is that when you get your chance you have to take it, and the player dropped has to work themselves back in. 

I actually like Max and we should be pleased we have good options in goal. Both have slightly different skills . 

I’m amazed so many people either have missed the point or are deliberately trying to paint Bentley in a bad light.

People forget Bentley has been one of our best players for years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I thought O'Leary did well and seems a a safer option. Calmer demeanour, more considered and accurate distribution ( throw out to Semenyo 2nd half on the right wing an example). Bentley is probably more capable of the spectacular but the flip side of that is he's got a howler in him. 

O'Leary needs a few games now to see if he can really own the shirt given the chance. 

Not sure about the distribution so far personally - it worried me a fair bit especially in the second half. We had a few ballooned up high nowhere near anyone, and a scuffed low one we were lucky one of our defenders managed to flick on. In the first half I thought there were a few nervy moments we just got away with playing it back and forth at the back under a bit of pressure.

Thought he did well overall though, and came and punched a few I doubt Bentley would have which was nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bddyh8

what Nige actually said.

44 mins in 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Bentley broke the rules. A good manager doesn’t let someone off for that no matter how good the player is. Should be one rule for all. That’s good management.   No idea why you think Bentley should be favoured 

Because he posts a load of ridiculous stuff.

53 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Nigel didn’t say that Bentley broke any rules. 

That’s us probably my fault from Gregor’s tweet last night.  I think I said broken, but it’s nothing sinister having re-read it.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

That’s us probably my fault from Gregor’s tweet last night.  I think I said broken, but it’s nothing sinister having re-read it.

Have seen a lot of people suggest that it was a disciplinary matter. I interpreted it as “the rules” apply to everyone in that if you don’t perform you don’t play. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

Of course we lost, the fact that you're all over the forum like a dose of the clap since full time would tell us that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

Perhaps Pearson realises Bentley is a potential target and is looking to take him out of the shop window? LJ was reconciled to the continuous loss of his best players. Like to think that Pearson will put up more of a fight. 

This makes little sense.

And also, Pearson is working for the club towards a common goal. He’s not some lone maverick trying to fight his evil overlords. 

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Which was entirely sensible as usual. Sent a clear message to the whole squad as well as Bentley. No one is undroppable 

In our position we need players at it every week with the odd bad game thrown in. Longer term dropping of standards won't help us and that is where Bentley currently is imo. This might actually do the lad (and the club) some good in the long run.

46 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Have seen a lot of people suggest that it was a disciplinary matter. I interpreted it as “the rules” apply to everyone in that if you don’t perform you don’t play. 

That’s how I interpreted it. I don’t think Bentley has broken any rules regarding discipline etc. NP even said there was nothing sinister in it. I just think for once NP didn’t explain himself all that well. My take on it was Bentley hasn’t been at his best and by rules, NP meant captain or not he’s not undroppable, like the rest of the team are if they under perform.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

That’s how I interpreted it. I don’t think Bentley has broken any rules regarding discipline etc. NP even said there was nothing sinister in it. I just think for once NP didn’t explain himself all that well. My take on it was Bentley hasn’t been at his best and by rules, NP meant captain or not he’s not undroppable, like the rest of the team are if they under perform.

Having looked at it again I think you are right.

• Like 1

I have been watching Bentley closely for a while now and actually agree with him being dropped. He is very good at making the initial save and therefore gets plaudits, however he has been at fault for many a goal recently due to where he has let the ball drop post save ( mainly in the 6 yard - penalty spot area, this had led to penalties and easy goals/ opportunities, which no doubt has been picked up in the analysis by the coaching staff.