IGNORED

Dropping the captain.

Oh Louie louie

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Bentley broke the rules. A good manager doesn’t let someone off for that no matter how good the player is. Should be one rule for all. That’s good management.   No idea why you think Bentley should be favoured 

Can’t recall Bentley putting a foot wrong on or off the pitch for 2 years that must mean something.

We lost and conceded 2 goals so not sure why everyone thinks it was such a good idea. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Can’t recall Bentley putting a foot wrong on or off the pitch for 2 years that must mean something.

We lost and conceded 2 goals so not sure why everyone thinks it was such a good idea. 

We also played our best football of the season with a goalkeeper who wasn’t at fault for either goal and who was prepared to play out rather than launching it aimlessly up the park. However as always you know best and will be soiling your pants wet through when Max throws one in?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

So did Bentley break any rules and there’s been a fall out? Or is this made up stuff & Pearson just doesn’t fancy him anymore. Help a brother out 

No he didn't.

NP did not say that Bentley broke the rules", he said that goalkeepers are no different and the rules apply to them as well. Those rules being that if you don't play well enough, someone will take your place.

Bentley was dropped, simple as that.

Anything else is just speculation.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

32 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Presumably you must have been doing other things when we played Luton and Forest? Butter fingers and crisp packet hands come to mind. It’s not a dig at Bentley who is entitled to make a mistake more a case of pointing out that you are talking bollocks on this occasion….

• Like 3

I don't see that max did anything wrong last night TBH, no chance for either goal and deserves to stay in the side on that performance.

Bents is a player I do like and maybe, we're just blessed with 2 decent keepers and Nige wanted to give max his chance?

IF Bents is on his way, good luck to the fella, he's been very good for us. IF he's staying, he knows he has to play at a consistently high level to stay in the side. 

Win win as far as I can see.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No he didn't.

NP did not say that Bentley broke the rules", he said that goalkeepers are no different and the rules apply to them as well. Those rules being that if you don't play well enough, someone will take your place.

Bentley was dropped, simple as that.

Anything else is just speculation.

You are speculating about what those rules mean unless you’ve got a quote to say differently. There are many interviews so I might have missed something but I’ve not seen him explain  what he meant 

31 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You are speculating about what those rules mean unless you’ve got a quote to say differently. There are many interviews so I might have missed something but I’ve not seen him explain  what he meant 

I don't think there's much to puzzle over interpretation wise ..

Were on the cusp of the January window & suddenly he's out of the side.

I know it's the pantomime season but we don't need to shout "he's behind you"..

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Perhaps Pearson realises Bentley is a potential target and is looking to take him out of the shop window? LJ was reconciled to the continuous loss of his best players. Like to think that Pearson will put up more of a fight. 

I feel like it’s almost the opposite, he’s a proven championship keeper that we could get some alright money for and maybe doesn’t want him to keep conceding goals (that mostly aren’t his fault but would still count against a potential fee) and/or potentially get injured.

7 hours ago, lenred said:

If he’s has broken club rules - whatever they are - then it’s not poor management at all, it’s quite the opposite.  It’s part of the culture that needs to be instilled at the club.  No one is bigger than the team - even the captain. 

Wasn’t it confirmed that “the rules” simply meant to people earning their place and not a disciplinary issue?

Could be wrong,  never know what to believe on here as it’s always so contradictory

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We also played our best football of the season with a goalkeeper who wasn’t at fault for either goal and who was prepared to play out rather than launching it aimlessly up the park. However as always you know best and will be soiling your pants wet through when Max throws one in?

Not sure about that, I saw Max go long several times and not even find a red shirt/head. Luckily we picked up the second balls quite well first half

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Not sure about that, I saw Max go long several times and not even find a red shirt/head. Luckily we picked up the second balls quite well first half

You can’t go shorter every single time, that’s obvious, but we played out far more than we have recently. Surprised you didn’t notice that.

Some amazing comments and groundless speculation on here.

I have just listened to the NP interview (Thanks @exAtyeoMax) and there seems to be no mention whatsoever that DB is the subject of a transfer bid, and certainly no suggestion that he was in breach of any rules.

I heard simply that NP thought that DB had not been playing at the peak of his form recently, hence MO’L was given a chance - as are the ‘rules’, which DB knows.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Perhaps Pearson realises Bentley is a potential target and is looking to take him out of the shop window? LJ was reconciled to the continuous loss of his best players. Like to think that Pearson will put up more of a fight. 

Don't think there's any interest in Bents tbh.

Couple of individual howlers tacked on last two months, some questionable general distribution had been sneaking into his game the last few games.

Pearson's more probably using it as an example - no such thing as un-droppable for this squad. Simple as that.

22 hours ago, David Brent said:

Have seen a lot of people suggest that it was a disciplinary matter. I interpreted it as “the rules” apply to everyone in that if you don’t perform you don’t play. 

It was precisely this. There was no suggestion that Bentley had broken any rules. Nigel indicated that he didn’t think Bentley had been at his best recently. The point he was making is that no player is undroppable, even if he is the captain. Same rule for everyone. 

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s his passmap.

image.png.22ee58431714d8c7312a7d67b5a4ed5d.png

and who he passed too.

image.thumb.png.c4d96403c1b92db06f898046da82ad07.png

Pretty evident a change in focus from our keeper.

These graphs are brilliant as they prove that I have not completely lost the plot when watching a game of football.........I thought it stuck out like a sore thumb that the distribution from Max was totally different to that we have been seeing from Bentley for months now. We actually looked like a team that intended to play a bit of football.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't see that max did anything wrong last night TBH, no chance for either goal and deserves to stay in the side on that performance.

Bents is a player I do like and maybe, we're just blessed with 2 decent keepers and Nige wanted to give max his chance?

IF Bents is on his way, good luck to the fella, he's been very good for us. IF he's staying, he knows he has to play at a consistently high level to stay in the side. 

Win win as far as I can see.

Max did ok but he is as bad as Fielding with the ball at his feet. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

19 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Presumably you must have been doing other things when we played Luton and Forest? Butter fingers and crisp packet hands come to mind. It’s not a dig at Bentley who is entitled to make a mistake more a case of pointing out that you are talking bollocks on this occasion….

Be honest you agree with my point

Just being childish again

Again you know I am right - it is ok to say so.

I don’t think you like my posts because they are honest and true.

Maybe just read back what you have written and think is it ‘bollocks’ and then don’t post it.

20 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Your opinion, with zero knowledge of what has happened, is irrelevant 

Does that make your reply to opinion irrelevant?

Just to help - This forum is largely about   opinions. 

Example - I post my thoughts and you comment what you ‘think’ rather than just negative comments like ‘your opinion is irrelevant’ otherwise the forum formula does not really work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Does that make your reply to opinion irrelevant?

Just to help - This forum is largely about   opinions. 

Example - I post my thoughts and you comment what you ‘think’ rather than just negative comments like ‘your opinion is irrelevant’ otherwise the forum formula does not really work.

An opinion based on nothing is irrelevant. If you don’t have the info to form an opinion then you don’t really know do you. It’s fine to say you don’t know 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes, where does this bents broke rules come from ? I have not heard it anywhere as of yet.

It came from me, probably.  I read Gregor’s tweet a bit too quickly where I quoted “rules” and made an incorrect association.  Think it is just Nige’s team selection “Rules”, if you don’t perform you leave yourself open to being dropped.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Most of that has come down to Pearson's instructions imo.

We were pretty much completely long ball for a fair bit of the season.

Some, agreed.  But Bentley’s technique of retreating for a back pass means he often kicks from 10 yards further back than he needs to, allowing attackers to get on top of him, sometimes forcing skied clearances, or mis-hit ones.  Those extra seconds / parts of seconds, allow the opposition defence to squeeze too.  It’s a fundamental weakness in his mental and technical skillset.  He’s gotten worse as the season has gone on.  He was doing it last season too, but more on dodgy surfaces.

On a one game sample, Max improved us a lot.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Pring dribbling in field which I love to see.

What he does differently to both Dasilva and O’Dowda is that he will also take ball receiving positions in-field too, taking advantage of Kalas dropping out wide.  That enables us to break lines.  With the other two, they would just push further up the touchline, giving worse angles (when playing LB or LWB).