IGNORED

Dropping the captain.

Oh Louie louie

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s his passmap.

image.png.22ee58431714d8c7312a7d67b5a4ed5d.png

and who he passed too.

image.thumb.png.c4d96403c1b92db06f898046da82ad07.png

Pretty evident a change in focus from our keeper.

Do you think the change in focus was due to the keeper though, the team he had in front of him, or the instructions he was given as a result? Bit of them all?

I know it's going to sound down on Max, which I don't want to be as I like him, but one game with a very different looking team is a bit of a poor sample to draw comparative differences in my opinion. I agree with your other post about the style (Bentley retreating) though.

I wonder if the change in keeper partly drove the change in team, or visa versa. Coincidence maybe?

Would be good to see Max with Martin up front (or Bentley with that team) and see what happens. I seem to remember when I first saw Bentley thinking how good and quick his distribution was - might have just been in compassion to his predecessor though.

Have to admit my impression of his distribution was a bit worse than those graphics so thanks for posting them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Better Red said:

Be honest you agree with my point

Just being childish again

Again you know I am right - it is ok to say so.

I don’t think you like my posts because they are honest and true.

Maybe just read back what you have written and think is it ‘bollocks’ and then don’t post it.

I don’t agree with you because you cannot stop yourself talking shit (I bet you tell all your mates what a great troll you are) and make up stuff like Bentley hasn’t put a foot wrong for two years. You are either blind, an idiot or, most likely, you don’t watch games that often.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Most of that has come down to Pearson's instructions imo.

We were pretty much completely long ball for a fair bit of the season.

I wouldn’t know as I’ve never heard Pearson do a team talk to be honest. However I find it a touch fanciful to think that he has told Bentley to launch the ball all season, brings Max in and gives him the opposite brief.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Of course you have not heard Pearson's team talks. Nor have I.

But when a goalkeeper goes long almost every time in games or sometimes literally every single time, Cardiff away for example, then surely it's the instructions.

It's worked well at times. Long ball can be a good way of playing when it works so not against it. But I think it's been poor up till more recently.

If Bentley is hitting it long and Pearson wants him to play it short then why has it taken him half the season to finally drop a player that is not doing as they are told.

And why was Bentley playing it out under Holden end of 19/20 and beginning of 20/21 season. A lot more under LJ too than generally under Nige.

A touch fanciful to suggest a player for nearly half a season is doing what he's told to do? Not sure about that.

I think Max is better at playing it out. Always said in previous seasons that I like his distribution. But I think the way we played made it a lot easier for him. There seemed to be a clear plan to play it out.

Or as I stated below, a combo of Bentley’s lack of confidence, poor technique and mentality.  A few games ago, Nige was tearing his hair out over Bents kicking, I did wonder if Max might get a go…although thought it might wait until Fulham in the cup.

FWIw I’m not massively a fan of Max’s distribution either, but I think it’s got to the point where Bents has lost a bit of confidence and so have the players in front of him. 

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I don’t agree with you because you cannot stop yourself talking shit (I bet you tell all your mates what a great troll you are) and make up stuff like Bentley hasn’t put a foot wrong for two years. You are either blind, an idiot or, most likely, you don’t watch games that often.

But you know what I said is right….

Most consistent players over the last 2 years - Bentley & Kalas

Maybe it’s because I do watch the games I am able to make my wild and wacky statements like that.

Again tell me i am talking shit….

To be honest if you don’t agree with that then your contribution is not worth your effort.

Who I am trolling with saying Bentley has hardly put a foot wrong in 2 years.

You are delusional and have ‘ no understanding of football’ if you don not agree with that statement.

Again just read what you are saying and take a breath before you post. Maybe get an adult to check it before you press submit.

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2021 at 14:40, Numero Uno said:

We also played our best football of the season with a goalkeeper who wasn’t at fault for either goal and who was prepared to play out rather than launching it aimlessly up the park. However as always you know best and will be soiling your pants wet through when Max throws one in?

2 games at home

4 goals conceded 

2 penalties - no where near them

2 crosses (1 a corner) - 2 goals conceded 

Not throw one in but….

It’s definitely worked or maybe I m wrong

Like I said Bentley most consistent player over the last 2 years

28 minutes ago, Better Red said:

2 games at home

4 goals conceded 

Not throw one in but….

I knew you would find something to be happy about this evening ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

2 games at home

4 goals conceded 

Not throw one in but….

Talk about cherry picking your stats. It’s not two crosses two goals, plenty of crosses have come in and Max has done very well claiming the ball or getting a good punch on it. Including one late on today coming through a crowd to claim the ball in injury time. 

Bentley has been massively inconsistent since he came into the team, LJ dropped him after the covid restart and he cost us points against Luton this season, with some fingers defo pointed at him vs Forest too. 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yeah, if you only count the crosses you want to include. There's stats and then there's manipulated meaningless guff. 

Which ones are meaningless or manipulated- apart from the 2 crosses.

The point is Bentley dropped - did not really get the reason and he is our captain.

Has Max proved to be better? Not for me and neither does the stats say anything to agree.

Bentley most consistent player over last 2 years all I said is I think had earns some credit in the bank.

2 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Which ones are meaningless or manipulated- apart from the 2 crosses.

The point is Bentley dropped - did not really get the reason and he is our captain.

Has Max proved to be better? Not for me and neither does the stats say anything to agree.

Bentley most consistent player over last 2 years all I said is I think had earns some credit in the bank.

Let me guess, when Bentley is reinstated to the team, which he will be at some point you will name check Nige and yourself as the only two that understand football??

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Talk about cherry picking your stats. It’s not two crosses two goals, plenty of crosses have come in and Max has done very well claiming the ball or getting a good punch on it. Including one late on today coming through a crowd to claim the ball in injury time. 

Bentley has been massively inconsistent since he came into the team, LJ dropped him after the covid restart and he cost us points against Luton this season, with some fingers defo pointed at him vs Forest too. 

‘Massively Inconsistent’ - Joke post surely I am not having that do you actually watch the games.

2 players in the last 2 years who can say have been consistent- Bentley and Kalas.

I am not a ‘Anti Maxer’ but people need to give Bentley more credit.

Top 3 keepers in last 20 or so years - Bentley , Heaton & Basso.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Done OK  but def has to come for the cross for first goal

The first goal was three mistakes. Vyner let’s the cross come in far too easily, Towler loses Bradshaw and Max could have at least punched it. When you look at what Max did come for later in the game and dealt with comfortably it was surprising.

I don’t think he can come for it as (a) it was a very good delivery and (b) Afobe’s movement across makes it very hard for him to “gamble” on if not landing on Beniks head( and therefore an open goal)

I personally think if we do much much better at stopping these crosses coming in so easily, we will do much better( but bloody obvious!)

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The first goal was three mistakes. Vyner let’s the cross come in far too easily, Towler loses Bradshaw and Max could have at least punched it. When you look at what Max did come for later in the game and dealt with comfortably it was surprising.

Just seen the goal

1st thing stop the cross

but as the cross did come in

The keeper has to take the cross The forward was in the six yard box when he headed it!!!

18 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

First goal started with what was a lazy, misplaced volley pass from James, that lost us possession, with Vyner expecting to be set free. Almost a basketball steal in transition.

I wanted to blame Max a bit for coming for the ball, but when I saw it from the reverse angle at h-t, it really was Alan Walsh-esque.  I haven’t watched it back from Towler’s viewpoint.  Maybe Max comes and does enough to put off Bradshaw or gets a touch, but he might’ve clothes-lined him and got a red card.  So my view is I’ll sit on the fence! ?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

First goal started with what was a lazy, misplaced volley pass from James, that lost us possession, with Vyner expecting to be set free. Almost a basketball steal in transition.

I wanted to blame Max a bit for coming for the ball, but when I saw it from the reverse angle at h-t, it really was Alan Walsh-esque.  I haven’t watched it back from Towler’s viewpoint.  Maybe Max comes and does enough to put off Bradshaw or gets a touch, but he might’ve clothes-lined him and got a red card.  So my view is I’ll sit on the fence! ?

I think he could have at least punched it and if he clothes lined Bradshaw into the bargain….bonus!! If the ball is crossed from the touch line and headed in from four yards the keeper has to come under scrutiny. That said Bentley has been staying on his line for months and let his centre half’s head the ball underneath the bar almost.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

I don’t think he can come for it as (a) it was a very good delivery and (b) Afobe’s movement across makes it very hard for him to “gamble” on if not landing on Beniks head( and therefore an open goal)

I personally think if we do much much better at stopping these crosses coming in so easily, we will do much better( but bloody obvious!)

Bradshaw scored the header. The ball travelled a long way imo.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Better Red said:

‘Massively Inconsistent’ - Joke post surely I am not having that do you actually watch the games.

2 players in the last 2 years who can say have been consistent- Bentley and Kalas.

I am not a ‘Anti Maxer’ but people need to give Bentley more credit.

Top 3 keepers in last 20 or so years - Bentley , Heaton & Basso.

The only joke post here was yours. Literally picking out that Max didn’t save two penalties and making out like they’ve scored from the two crosses they’ve put into the box. You might not be an anti maxer but you need to take your Bentley tinted glasses off. I’m not having he’s been consistent at all. 

37 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Let me guess, when Bentley is reinstated to the team, which he will be at some point you will name check Nige and yourself as the only two that understand football??

Question - Next league game who plays?

Max or Bentley ( if not being sold)

I will say - Bentley is back in

Has Max done enough to keep him out - not for me. 

Get me right - Max has not had shockers but for me Bentley is simply a better keeper and we are lucky to have to have him.

** Note - I won’t be name checking you.

4 minutes ago, Dredd said:

The only joke post here was yours. Literally picking out that Max didn’t save two penalties and making out like they’ve scored from the two crosses they’ve put into the box. You might not be an anti maxer but you need to take your Bentley tinted glasses off. I’m not having he’s been consistent at all. 

Not consistent- do you go and watch ?

Not tinted but they are very clearly telling me he is consistent.

Again most convenient player of last 2 years - not 2 weeks but 2 years 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From my vantage (Dolman centre top tier), Vyner probably doesn’t do a huge amount wrong. Could be closer, but my thought was “stand, don’t dive in” which is what he did. The cross itself was excellent quality and was one which a keeper would have to gamble on - whipped, pace, corridor of uncertainty. I wouldn’t blame Max for not coming for it, it’s one where damned if do, damned if don’t. It’s Towlers error for me. He’s a yard off Bradshaw and enables a free header.

Find it hard to fault Max for any of the four goals so far, although I think the term “Anti-Maxxer” is genius.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Question - Next league game who plays?

Max or Bentley ( if not being sold)

I will say - Bentley is back in

Has Max done enough to keep him out - not for me. 

Get me right - Max has not had shockers but for me Bentley is simply a better keeper and we are lucky to have to have him.

** Note - I won’t be name checking you.

Next game is the cup game so you give Max another outing then there may be a decision to make. When that happens don’t forget to tag me for being right…….