IGNORED

Amazing coincidence this

Olé

I genuinely wonder if he has some deep rooted issue with us.

Apparently he was on Yeovil’s books, so certainly has some connection to this part of the world.

In the 3 games quoted he has given the opposition 4 penalties (2 of which were very dubious) & last night gave every marginal call to QPR.

He’s either incompetent or biased.

• Like 5

I was at that Preston game and it was pretty alarming how easily he lost control of the game and basically ended up guessing every decision. But it wasn’t noticed as much because we were away and because it didn’t result in us losing the game 

Last night he also lost control of the game and ended up guessing every decision although how you can’t see a handball directly in front of you I’m not too sure. 

I would say though i don’t think it’s particularly against us, he just doesn’t seem to be mentally strong enough to be a referee at this level as his head had completely gone just like it had in the Preston game 

Edited by East Londoner
  • Like 1

I don't think I have ever seen a more incompetent display of refereeing last night. I'm also one to hate moaning about Referee's as an excuse when we lose, but wow he was awful.
First off their penalty was a penalty, but so was the one not given to us when we were 1-0 up. Not given.
It was the total inconsistency of his decisions, and half the time it was if he was guessing them. The Matty James 'foul' in the early stages of the 2nd half was completely mindboggling and it was from then that every decision, even throw ins were just guess work by the officials. 

You wanna know why English Referee's are seen as inferior across UEFA? Just look how poor our EFL refs handle games. Totally ruined the game

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

The QPR cup game is the more remarkable for me because a full 40 minutes after the ridiculous penalty, after extra time and after the final kick (Bailey Wright) of the shoot out we lost, I remember vividly in the upper tier watching in amazement as LJ stormed onto the pitch to go after the ref for a second time about costing us the game.

Now you could argue that maybe Davies has had it in for us ever since because of this reaction, but either way to provoke that extreme a reaction from our manager of the day, then wind forward two years or so and our completely different (current) manager last night (rightly) describes that same referee as better off refereeing park football.

Some record to provoke those sorts of reactions and comments from multiple City managers. And sandwiching an epic game at Preston where he gave two penalties against us, disallowed two of our goals, and allowed a blatant foul on Baker in the lead up to their equaliser to stand while simultaneously stopping play anytime we went near anyone.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Olé said:

Match Report from away at Preston (September 2019):

"A frenetic end to end game played out in biblical torrential rain that had everything - except a halfway competent referee. Not only were City inexplicably denied a fully deserved winner from Diedhiou's brilliant one-two and finish to seal an end to end thriller, but the match official finished the game penalising City at every opportunity.

Deepdale is just minutes from the EFL HQ and if you needed a metaphor for the last few years of administrative inadequacy in a league whose quality now vastly outstrips it's organisation, it was seeing a ref unable to keep up with two fine attacking sides and who ended up cheating one of them. 

Referee Davies gave Preston 2 penalties to get back from two goals down, allowed a questionable third Preston equaliser and disallowed two City goals in an afternoon he routinely pulled back play, didn't keep up to award advantage, and finished the day simply penalising the dominant visitors any time they got over the halfway line."

Match Report from away at QPR (August 2019):

"Football is sometimes a predictable game - for example when 2 semi-reserve sides are put out for a first round cup game you can guarantee chaos and goals. Today we got both in an end to end game that even had reserve quality match officiating too.

City rode their luck in a match that swung back and forth, but appeared in control at 3-2 up, only for increasingly disinterested linesmen to be compounded by a referee picking and choosing his moments, finally  deciding to award the tamest of penalties.

QPR duly claimed their late lifeline back in the game as Johnson protested furiously but in truth City were always second best in the shoot out bar a brief leveller at 3-3, form being decisive as sluggish Diedhiou and out of sorts Wright, blew their lines."

SAME REFEREE. Mind blowing.

He is still registered as a referee . Please dont cry over spilt milk. We have experienced bad refs over the years. Even some have been in our favour. The ref is the boss if we like it or not.

• Hmmm 1

All the officials were terrible and Davis was merely the uber-incompetent.

The Dolman-side assistant, apart from missing a few offsides, allowed Albert to dribble the ball when it was out-of-play then bring it back on the field after he'd gained about 20 yards. He also had a direct view of the Johansen handball. 

The Lansdown-side assistant didn't flag for an earlier handball committed about 6 feet in front of him. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

For me that was as bad as Birmingham all those years ago.   Scotty D would have probably been on the pitch again last night!

I also referenced that Birmingham game last night in terms of it being a generationally bad refereeing performance, however as a point of order Scott D was on the pitch after the last minute midweek penalty to Sunderland in the league earlier that season. The Birmingham game at full time was the one with Trevor Francis having a fight with a steward. :)

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Match Report from away at Preston (September 2019):

"A frenetic end to end game played out in biblical torrential rain that had everything - except a halfway competent referee. Not only were City inexplicably denied a fully deserved winner from Diedhiou's brilliant one-two and finish to seal an end to end thriller, but the match official finished the game penalising City at every opportunity.

Deepdale is just minutes from the EFL HQ and if you needed a metaphor for the last few years of administrative inadequacy in a league whose quality now vastly outstrips it's organisation, it was seeing a ref unable to keep up with two fine attacking sides and who ended up cheating one of them. 

Referee Davies gave Preston 2 penalties to get back from two goals down, allowed a questionable third Preston equaliser and disallowed two City goals in an afternoon he routinely pulled back play, didn't keep up to award advantage, and finished the day simply penalising the dominant visitors any time they got over the halfway line."

Match Report from away at QPR (August 2019):

"Football is sometimes a predictable game - for example when 2 semi-reserve sides are put out for a first round cup game you can guarantee chaos and goals. Today we got both in an end to end game that even had reserve quality match officiating too.

City rode their luck in a match that swung back and forth, but appeared in control at 3-2 up, only for increasingly disinterested linesmen to be compounded by a referee picking and choosing his moments, finally  deciding to award the tamest of penalties.

QPR duly claimed their late lifeline back in the game as Johnson protested furiously but in truth City were always second best in the shoot out bar a brief leveller at 3-3, form being decisive as sluggish Diedhiou and out of sorts Wright, blew their lines."

SAME REFEREE. Mind blowing.

This needs sending to ref/league authorities.

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

All the officials were terrible and Davis was merely the uber-incompetent.

The Dolman-side assistant, apart from missing a few offsides, allowed Albert to dribble the ball when it was out-of-play then bring it back on the field after he'd gained about 20 yards. He also had a direct view of the Johansen handball. 

The Lansdown-side assistant didn't flag for an earlier handball committed about 6 feet in front of him. 

The ball was on the line at all times. That isn’t out of play, the same as the ball not being full over the line means it isn’t a goal. 

Edited by tommy_b
Typo

1 minute ago, tommy_b said:

The ball was on the line at all times. That isn’t out of play, the same as the ball not being full over the line means it isn’t a goal. 

I'm sure James with his experience possible knows this and being stood above the ball at the time had a very good view, hence why he was going so mental about it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I'm sure James with his experience possible knows this and being stood above the ball at the time had a very good view, hence why he was going so mental about it

And no professional footballer ever wildly appeals for a throw / corner / free kick that they know is the oppositions?

The same Matty James who fell over in a 50/50 challenge outside our box, heard no whistle and yet still proceeded to scoop the ball into his arms hoping the referee wouldn’t penalise him for handball?

• Sad 1

Just now, tommy_b said:

And no professional footballer ever wildly appeals for a throw / corner / free kick that they know is the oppositions?

The same Matty James who fell over in a 50/50 challenge outside our box, heard no whistle and yet still proceeded to scoop the ball into his arms hoping the referee wouldn’t penalise him for handball?

Footballers appeal all the time, but you could tell from the veracity at the time the ball had clearly gone out.

As for when James was over the ball, he did not pick the ball up before the whistle went, and when it did go was expecting the free kick as he was having lumps kicked out of him

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Apparently he was on Yeovil’s books, so certainly has some connection to this part of the world.

In the 3 games quoted he has given the opposition 4 penalties (2 of which were very dubious) & last night gave every marginal call to QPR.

I've commented on the matchday thread, Graham, but having followed YTFC for almost fifty years, I cannot remember him at all. 

IF he was with us, it wasn't for very long and he wasn't very good.

10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Sure NP will get in trouble with FA regarding his comments last night, but at least may give the opportunity to raise and highlight how poor Davies is

Which interview with NP are you referring to? I saw the official club interview on Twitter and was a bit disappointed that he didn't lay into the referee a bit more! 

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Which interview with NP are you referring to? I saw the official club interview on Twitter and was a bit disappointed that he didn't lay into the referee a bit more! 

The one on Sky and Quest, I think someone linked to it on another thread

Basically said (along the lines of from memory), for someone who supposedly played football, albeit at a low level he was incredibly naive and got many decisions wrong, hope the next time he seems him is on the parks as that is his level

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Once again, I disagree. The ball was kicked while under his body onto his arms. His hands were up protecting his head, which is pretty much what I'd do in the situation. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Or he is a referee who can be bought?

I know it is easy to blame refs when things go against us but that evening's work was the worst display from a referee that I can remember.

Add the games that Olé has mentioned and I hope that City make a complaint to EFL and the Referees association.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Or he is a referee who can be bought?

I know it is easy to blame refs when things go against us but that evening's work was the worst display from a referee that I can remember.

Add the games that Olé has required and I hope that City make a complaint to EFL and the Referees association.

We should but we all know that Nige will get the Mike Jones phone call saying "yeah, looked back at the VT and he was a bit shit to be honest, sorry about that Nige, we'll keep him away from you for a while" and that will be that.

• Like 3

My only question here is this - have we ever had him and him not been incompetent to the extent of seeming corrupt? I remember the above games clearly, and if the only three times we’ve had him are those two and last night, the club should be at least making a complaint to the FA. However, if we’ve had him on a few other occasions and he’s been “fine” it just may be that he’s prone to a crap game and we’re unlucky.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Do referee assessor's still attend games?  Surely this guy should be put out to grass..........at a home for the permanantly bewildered?

They all look after one another tbh. These Ref's see themselves as a persecuted minority and very rarely go against their own. I can guarantee you that an assessor would have given that clown an 8-9 out of 10 last night.........guaranteed.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1