IGNORED

Conceding in injury time

CyderInACan

I look at last night different from the others.  In the other games it's been like the alamo late on & the whole ground was just waiting for the inevitable.  Last night I thought we were pretty comfortable.  

Our defensive record at corners has been v good this season, but it was a great delivery & a good header from Barbet. I think you put last night down to one of those things & hopefully we can replicate the performance on Sunday.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TDarwall said:

I look at last night different from the others.  In the other games it's been like the alamo late on & the whole ground was just waiting for the inevitable.  Last night I thought we were pretty comfortable.  

Our defensive record at corners has been v good this season, but it was a great delivery & a good header from Barbet. I think you put last night down to one of those things & hopefully we can replicate the performance on Sunday.

Don’t disagree but this must be in the players’ heads now. 

Just now, extonsred said:

Problem is not so much conceding at the last, but not having scored enough before. 

Agreed, should have been 2-0 up after 25 minutes. Some seem to have forgotten how good we were in that first 25 minutes and the usual cry babies who only make themselves heard after a defeat just refuse to acknowledge it anyway. At least one of the second Semenyo chance and the James chance should have been buried.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed, should have been 2-0 up after 25 minutes. Some seem to have forgotten how good we were in that first 25 minutes and the usual cry babies who only make themselves heard after a defeat just refuse to acknowledge it anyway. At least one of the second Semenyo chance and the James chance should have been buried.

Yep, this.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The knee jerk that follows a result.  By all means be disappointed about the defeat, but when I see tweets like “we were awful” you have got to wonder whether they actually watched the match.

When numerous posters are saying we played our best for ages, you know tgat some out there just want to criticise.  I have several on ignore just for that.  There are some I disagree with but debate well….that’s fine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, extonsred said:

Problem is not so much conceding at the last, but not having scored enough before. 

Good point. We should be out of sight in some games but we can’t kill teams off meaning a goal, however late, leaves us with a mountain to climb. 

Edited by cityloyal473

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

It was a good delivery and header, but he was quite far out on the angle and with no one in front of him. The guy directly behind him was O’dowda (not renowned for heading ability). Then there was nobody on either post (although possibly may not have helped). But if it isn’t ending up in the corner is there a case for saying Max could’ve done slightly better? Be interested to see what others think.

Also thought before the game that we only really had Kalas and ZV as our go to headers for defending. Atkinson did come on but this reminded me why NP also like Martin for his defensive side ( see also Fammy in previous years)

Same context needs to be added to the goals that were conceded. Last night and against Forest (the second one) were the result of poor refereeing. Luton was a keeper error and Blackpool it had been coming despite it being their only shot on target 

So there isn’t one root cause, although it’s interesting to note we switched back to attacking the south stand in the second half last night and it happened again so dunno if there’s something in that or not