IGNORED

Andy King apologises

CyderInACan

Someone on Radio Bristol last night (I’m aware that right away that’s a red flag to common sense) said he should never play for the club again. 

aka “Bristol City fan reacts in heat of the moment after getting frustrated with poor referee” … but is that the Radio Bristol numpty or Andy King I’m talking about?

• Like 3

Fair play to him. 

Despite last nights error in judgment I actually think King could be key in the second half of the season now he’s fit.

He should be fantastic at our level and the most decorated and experienced player in the squad. 

He’s won league one, the Championship and the Premier League (the only player to have done so) as well as taken Wales to the Euro 2016 semi final. He should really be massively influential for us. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 3

1 minute ago, The Humble Realist said:

It was a really stupid thing for him to do to a)get booked for dissent and b)so obviously commit a 2nd yellow.

We all make mistakes. Let's hope we smarten up 

It's frustrating that we literally find ways of shooting ourselves in the foot but anyone who has played the game to a decent level will have made the same magnitude of mistake that King made last night and twenty years later still wouldn't be able to explain why they did it. He was a dick who was having a decent game up to that point, he's taken responsibility for it, move on.

I think the one that rankles is the yellow card for dissent. That’s a yellow that should never happen, particularly from an experienced pro.

As for the second yellow, I think it showed King up a touch for sharpness/speed in the first part (he had the ball, but got it nicked away), but once that had happened, it was a foul I’d expect most players to make - they had players on the break and if the foul isn’t made, it’d be a very threatening scenario. It’s what most of us would describe as a “good foul”, it’s just that the wrong player, as he was already on a yellow, that made it.

So bizarrely, I can kind of understand the second yellow more than the first. I’d want my players to make that foul in that position 99 times out of 100 so his instinct was to do that.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Well done Andy, at least you care..........Hopefully you will make up for your transgression by performing well in future?

That's football and what he has to do. He was performing well overall up to the red and our midfield was functioning which is not something that is often said when talking about us!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommy_b said:

Someone on Radio Bristol last night (I’m aware that right away that’s a red flag to common sense) said he should never play for the club again. 

aka “Bristol City fan reacts in heat of the moment after getting frustrated with poor referee” … but is that the Radio Bristol numpty or Andy King I’m talking about?

That phone in on Radio Bristol, and the texts and tweets they were reading out, really wound me up last night. Multiple ‘not good enough’ and ‘Pearson out’ type remarks after what was one of our better, and certainly most committed, performances of the season. Some of the contributors have an agenda that they stick to regardless of how the game plays out.

Ian Gay’s protestations that the ref only got one decision wrong all night was one of his classics as well. I swear that guy should be a Talksport ‘shock jock’ presenter, saying ludicrous and contrary things for clicks and to attract furious callers. For years and years he used to say we need a manager like Nigel Pearson. About 2 months after Pearson joined, he was calling for his head! Ridiculous. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's football and what he has to do. He was performing well overall up to the red and our midfield was functioning which is not something that is often said when talking about us!!

Yep.........that is the great shame of it..............he was playing well, and the midfield was looking solid..........and then!!!

• Like 1

King’s a City fan. If I was on the pitch last night and the ref was giving every decision against us, I’d bloody well let him know about it as well especially after the ref didn’t give the Scott pen. I’m sure many of us who’ve played to a decent level have experienced this sort of red mist before.

His second booking was the sort of shithousery we’ve lacked for years. How many times have we said before take a booking on halfway to stop a counter-attack? I’ve no issue with that at all, and fair play for apologising. I don’t actually think he’s responsible for the defeat either; we played well with 10 men against 12.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 2

7 minutes ago, Jacki said:

That phone in on Radio Bristol, and the texts and tweets they were reading out, really wound me up last night. Multiple ‘not good enough’ and ‘Pearson out’ type remarks after what was one of our better, and certainly most committed, performances of the season. Some of the contributors have an agenda that they stick to regardless of how the game plays out.

Ian Gay’s protestations that the ref only got one decision wrong all night was one of his classics as well. I swear that guy should be a Talksport ‘shock jock’ presenter, saying ludicrous and contrary things for clicks and to attract furious callers. For years and years he used to say we need a manager like Nigel Pearson. About 2 months after Pearson joined, he was calling for his head! Ridiculous. 

Adrian Durham Mark II.

Not sure we know the first booking was daft by him or (yet another) daft decision by the worst ref in years. Will hardly be the first player in history to complain about a penalty, did he definitely go too far or one more opportunity for the ref to bolster QPR’s chances. Second one was daft, however frustrating he just had to let the QPR player get away. 

As others have said, thought he was playing really well, the difference to the whole team of having two experienced, been there, done that,  players in central midfield was marked. Great positionally and moves the ball on sensibly, slows it down when needed, keeps things moving when needed. 

King staying fit (and not getting sent off) maybe crucial if we can’t get Williams consistently fit. 

Sort of bloke he is.

I don’t think for a minute Andy King posted this because he was told to do so, he made a mistake, genuinely feels bad about it & he wants to take responsibility.

Both bookings were silly, the ref was truly terrible but dissent after he had given the penalty was pointless & whilst I understood why he felt he needed to foul Johansen he then needed to let go quickly, rather than hold on to him for 30 seconds, he might have got away with a warning then.

• Like 4